Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 vs 2016: thinking of upgrading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a 2013 Model S (85) and I'm starting to mull over trading my "vintage" car in for a new one with all those cool autopilot features. And I want red this time...

So, other than the nose cone, headlights, HEPA filter (yawn), what else has changed between 2013 and 2016? I read a lot about hoe Tesla is continually tweaking the assembly line to make the car better. Just curious if any of these "improvements" would be tangible and noticeable to a 2013 owner.

Thanks for your toughts!

I too have thoughts of upgrading from my 2013 to 2016!
I also want a red this time!

I have a lot of reasons to upgrade; Autopilot, redesign, next gen seats, pano roof and hopefully better build quality with less rattles!

So I went to the Tesla store and get a show and tell of Autopilot. Pretty cool -- especially the parking.

The car was noticeablely my faster than my 85. Seemed a little quieter too, although they might just be me making that up to meet my expectation.

Hoping the new ones aren't as squeaky/creaky as mine from 2013.

So I went to the Tesla store and get a show and tell of Autopilot. Pretty cool -- especially the parking.

The car was noticeablely my faster than my 85. Seemed a little quieter too, although they might just be me making that up to meet my expectation.

Hoping the new ones aren't as squeaky/creaky as mine from 2013.
The service center has been able to eliminate the squeaks and creaks from mine.

I'm in the same boat, I have a Feb 2013 S85, and now have an order in for a P90D (I had to cancel my previous order as it completed production in advance of the facelift, and as I've had a Model S for over 3 years, I kinda want the latest version).

For me, I have some sort of mental block in remembering to close the charging port, so I'm excited about that being automated :) Aside from that, autopilot, folding mirrors, improved seats, parking sensors, blind spot detection, dual motors, alcantara trim on the dash. Plus, of course, the facelifted nose and LED headlights.

You can view a list of all changes on this wiki page: Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

I'm also righting a few wrongs (that I think I made with my first Model S), I'm not paying for the upgraded audio this time since I've never been impressed, I'll let Reus upgrade it this time around. Also going to the lighter (grey) seats, with the black headliner. And the 21" turbines....I know they're not practical, but I think they fill the wheel wells much better than the 19's.

I have a 2012. The pano squeaked when I first got it, but Tesla fixed that years ago. It is still very quiet. Last June I spent 3 weeks helping deliver 2015's; I carefully inspected a couple of hundred new Model S. While they did have quite a few new features (parking sensors, folding mirrors, autopilot, AWD, next-gen seats) in terms of general fit and finish things really looked surprisingly identical. Other people report different experiences, so apparently not all old cars are the same - which makes giving advice on how much better the OP would prefer a new car tricky.

The new features are cool, but nothing so cool so far that we want to give up the great car we already have. In fact Sig Red is no longer available anymore, so my wife prefers our old car to a new one. Plus she would freak at the small size of the new frunk. (If it was mine, I might get a new one just because the handling is better...the early ones were softer in the rear. But my wife doesn't push the car hard enough that she notices).

After driving a VIN 10xxx P85 loaner, I was thrilled to get my 85D back from its annual.

Didn't realize what a game-changer Autopilot had become for me.

Other night-and-day difference: Next-gen seats.

Also AWD! You can't even floor it in the P85, the fish tailing/wobbling is a little annoying (imo) in that car. The 85D really does drive like its on rails and glued to the road!

As soon as ventilated seats become available (when Tesla works through their stock of Next Gen seats) I'll be upgrading my 2012 P85.

- Autopilot
- Dual Motor
- Power folding mirrors
- Parking sensors
- HEPA filter
- LED lights
- Ventilated seats (upcoming, I hope)
- Faster! (P90D)

I recently had my 2013 P85+ CPO in for service and the loaner was a 2016 70D. Some comparisons:
Dual motor: I still love my RWD! Maybe next loader will be P90D and I'll change my mind.
Next-gen seats: Awesome. Want.
Auto Steer: If I had a commute with divided highway, this would be a required feature.

The refresh has me very tempted. I'm on a budget, going from a S85 to a 70D, and with the new 75D post delivery option, seriously thinking about it.. Auto Pilot and AWD are on the WANT NOW list for me... But in trading in my car for $50k and buying new for $90 - 8k rebates = $82k means I'm paying $32,000 for AWD and auto pilot...

I could pay $32k and go buy another car... like my Wrangler on 35" tires I miss so much...

So... yea... thinking I'm going to drive mine until it's out of warranty in 2019