Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85 Gets a 2017 facelift using OEM parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It
I've told to several customers of Nikola-brussels, who made the facelift conversion in Europe and they don't change seals or anything else.
It's no problem if you have the old big trunk and the new facelift hood.

It seems like they changed the hood bracket and keep everything else. The bumper cover will convert with almost no problem from what i heard...its the hood that people are having a problem with. Anyone has an extra facelifted hood we can test this theory out.
. see video below. 3 min mark.

• Informative
Reactions: HankLloydRight
I saw a post from AutobahnEV in the Parts for Sale forum that got me thinking. It appears that if you wanted to use the facelift hood on a pre-facelift car all you would need to swap is the radiator mount and the hood release mechanism.

See photo below of old front clip. The facelift radiator mount is composite, not aluminum and has the single hood release.

The only real question is are all the radiators and parts that attach to the "new" style radiator support the same/compatible...I am guessing they are.

Who has access to both radiator mounts?
frontend-jpeg.462000

NewCLip.jpg

oldclip.jpg

Attachments

• FrontEnd.jpeg
    749.5 KB · Views: 1,179
I saw a post from AutobahnEV in the Parts for Sale forum that got me thinking. It appears that if you wanted to use the facelift hood on a pre-facelift car all you would need to swap is the radiator mount and the hood release mechanism.

See photo below of old front clip. The facelift radiator mount is composite, not aluminum and has the single hood release.

The only real question is are all the radiators and parts that attach to the "new" style radiator support the same/compatible...I am guessing they are.

Who has access to both radiator mounts?
frontend-jpeg.462000

View attachment 462004
View attachment 462005
I am also trying to figuer this out the hood retrofit. So far, i know that bumper is plug and play.
I contacted EV in San Diego and they dont have any in stock for me to purchase.

After some research of the prefacelift cone nose Model S, the facelift 2017 Model S and the OEM parts involved I have decided to move forward with the retrofit of the facelift nose onto my cone nose P85.

I will be posting al kinds of info as I discover it into this thread. As of last week, my facelift 2017 bumper is here, the needed parts are on order and will hopefully arrive this week. I have removed my cone front bumper and installed the new bumper. Everything looks great and the hood gap doesn't look bad at all but once the upper grill is here, I will get a better idea.

As expected, the fog lights for both generations are identical and will bolt up with no issues. The old headlights can be retained as they are the same exact shape.

Enough talk, no for pics.

View attachment 215534 View attachment 215535 View attachment 215536 View attachment 215537
GREAT GREAT WORK MAN. Looks nice as hell. Makes me motivated to do the wife and my car.

That’s pretty clever. Are you going to weld those nuts and studs into place or does a lock nut and washer / thread lock seem to be enough? I’ve never removed the hood latch but I’m assuming there’s enough space in the hood for the lock nuts sticking out the back of that plate?