Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85 Gets a 2017 facelift using OEM parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my only issue with seeing the various facelift retrofit is the bumper sitting so far back from the T. its too noticeable and ugly looking. I guess the new hood is a fix for that but at some point, you're just building the car into a new car?

I kind of feel the same way. Unless you do the hood, the underbite is pretty noticeable, even with the unplugged bumper. At that point I’d be tempted to just upgrade to a slightly newer one.

Reactions: tyler2323
Hi!
I will be making facelift update of my P85D and I have two questions to people who did it:
1. Are there any changes that can influence to Auto Pilot, for example on parallel auto park, it's going preaty close to another cars.
2. Did any one contact with Tesla to change visability of car in mobile app and of course in animations inside car?

Kind Regs,
Sam

The hood is a facelift hood, OEM stock, no changes.
My 2014 Model S has the "double-hook" for the lock, so I made a custom one to figure out the correct length:

View attachment 467524

At the moment there's some work with the frunk trim and the sealing, but it closes and I can drive with the new facelift front :)

@Newchurch what did you end up doing for your final double hook striker? Did you just weld up that prototype with the threaded rod and nuts or did you have something custom made from your measurements. Any chance you wrote down the correct measurements for each hook? It seems like for us double latch folks your solution could be the easiest.

I kind of feel the same way. Unless you do the hood, the underbite is pretty noticeable, even with the unplugged bumper. At that point I’d be tempted to just upgrade to a slightly newer one.

There are some ways to extend the Oem prefacelift hood to get rid of the underbite as well as the gap. The latch can be moved down to eliminate the gap and the hood mounting points can slide forward on both top and bottom giving you about and inch and a 1/2 to help with the protruding bumper

This is with the prefacelift hood
F377C55E-72C8-46B5-BCEE-507D15D93D18.jpeg

B68771BB-37AE-40C9-A841-DD7936D8FC6B.jpeg

3F599E00-323F-47C1-9391-EC574B96E6AF.jpeg

Didn’t use any gap filler. I changed to a facelift hood cuz I’m too ocd but you can do some tricks to still make it look good without. I would recommend using a mesh grill over any advice since the Autopilot can work with no issues without cutting it
9C9F243A-7D97-4F80-A0A8-359E909CAC95.jpeg
B2E0B932-CB89-47B9-9970-B59379815C12.jpeg
E104041A-ADE0-4391-BFE0-96B394305FD9.jpeg
5ACEB9FD-7940-4B3A-8015-7916FFEB28F1.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice looking setup. Contrast works very well together. Nice job. Be proud.
Hi!
I will be making facelift update of my P85D and I have two questions to people who did it:
1. Are there any changes that can influence to Auto Pilot, for example on parallel auto park, it's going preaty close to another cars.
2. Did any one contact with Tesla to change visability of car in mobile app and of course in animations inside car?

Kind Regs,
Sam

For those using a prefacelift hood these are must do’s to make it look as good as possible:
I have had a lot of members call me to help them with the facelift conversion and here are the best tips you should do. I enjoy helping ppl and have spent hrs trying to explain what u can do via phone call. I’ve been asked to make a video but I am not into doing all that nor do I want any type of notoriety or credit and definitely don’t want some YouTube fame in fact I don’t like social media at all and don’t want to be on camera. I just like helping others especially if they are less handy, and something that seems so simple to me can be extremely difficult for others. It takes me anywhere from 30 min to an hr to do the full conversion once the bumper has been painted. But for others it can be hrs or days so hopefully this helps anyone struggling.
The ankle catcher is very crucial to make the bumper get pulled downward which will allow the gap to minimized by allowing you to lower the latch as far as possible. Adjusting the hood to slide forward will allow it to not hit the headlights and also make the gap smaller while minimizing the underbite. To adjust the hood loosen the top and bottom brackets and pull it. Do the bottom first and while you tighten it make sure that u r pulling it so that it will slide as far as possible. The top bolts/brackets will not slide as far forward but still will. Use a Model X T Badge (pics are of an S t badge but an X will fill the gap better) and cut it to angle so that it gives it less space and makes the underbite appear less.
You can also use a facelift striker even tho you will only be able to mount it with one screw so you must tighten the *sugar* out of it. Or try finding one from another car that will fit the holes to mount it
Here’s pics with a prefacelift hood and no gap filler etc. if you have issues with the bumper not being perfectly flush with the headlights put washers under the t badge support that screw into the headlight brackets to raise it. If the bumper is sticking out right at the end where it meant the headlights make sure to push it to exactly where you want it to be than tighten the bolts all the way. Use the plastic piece that will be above the badge support and screw it into the t badge support to help fill the gap. Use very small screws in length and width so that are not noticeable. Make sure to cut the t badge support so that it is no hitting anything. In fact cut it so that the two mounting holes in the back are gone cuz they are not necessary anyways and it will make sure there is no obstruction from the battery terminal or homelink. Use a mesh grill and the Autopilot will work without having to cut an opening

If anyone wants this done, I can do it and have all the parts necessary. If you live in So Cal, AZ or Vegas I can do it at you house. Right now I have one facelift bumper unpainted but may have another if I decide to install my prior design bumper instead that’s painted black. I can even do a complete body kit install as well. Message me for details
I prefer using a facelift hood cause I like it to be perfect cause I’m OCD. The carbon fiber hood is a facelift hood in the pics. Make sure to remove the latch and add washers to extend the latch to account the the longer hood when using a facelift hood
A13498E5-480C-441B-81B7-89CE2DEA40C6.jpeg
3B559761-CD01-42DB-86BC-4B3D439041D0.jpeg
4A2DA74A-B82C-4B0E-8288-91F353C883B7.jpeg
B530DB2B-0C8D-4C77-82FA-9E30A23195CC.jpeg

70D6FEA2-4F4E-4B4B-995E-C7C2485BCE02.jpeg
863A4EC9-8D0E-4A21-B1B1-F6CE23349182.jpeg
76CD9045-8BA2-4781-AB01-7B93BEC807C2.jpeg
65B8A8D4-D165-4729-A9AB-CD04DD796851.jpeg

Last edited:
For those using a prefacelift hood these are must do’s to make it look as good as possible:
I have had a lot of members call me to help them with the facelift conversion and here are the best tips you should do. I enjoy helping ppl and have spent hrs trying to explain what u can do via phone call. I’ve been asked to make a video but I am not into doing all that nor do I want any type of notoriety or credit and definitely don’t want some YouTube fame in fact I don’t like social media at all and don’t want to be on camera. I just like helping others especially if they are less handy, and something that seems so simple to me can be extremely difficult for others. It takes me anywhere from 30 min to an hr to do the full conversion once the bumper has been painted. But for others it can be hrs or days so hopefully this helps anyone struggling.
The ankle catcher is very crucial to make the bumper get pulled downward which will allow the gap to minimized by allowing you to lower the latch as far as possible. Adjusting the hood to slide forward will allow it to not hit the headlights and also make the gap smaller while minimizing the underbite. To adjust the hood loosen the top and bottom brackets and pull it. Do the bottom first and while you tighten it make sure that u r pulling it so that it will slide as far as possible. The top bolts/brackets will not slide as far forward but still will. Use a Model X T Badge (pics are of an S t badge but an X will fill the gap better) and cut it to angle so that it gives it less space and makes the underbite appear less.
You can also use a facelift striker even tho you will only be able to mount it with one screw so you must tighten the *sugar* out of it. Or try finding one from another car that will fit the holes to mount it
Here’s pics with a prefacelift hood and no gap filler etc. if you have issues with the bumper not being perfectly flush with the headlights put washers under the t badge support that screw into the headlight brackets to raise it. If the bumper is sticking out right at the end where it meant the headlights make sure to push it to exactly where you want it to be than tighten the bolts all the way. Use the plastic piece that will be above the badge support and screw it into the t badge support to help fill the gap. Use very small screws in length and width so that are not noticeable. Make sure to cut the t badge support so that it is no hitting anything. In fact cut it so that the two mounting holes in the back are gone cuz they are not necessary anyways and it will make sure there is no obstruction from the battery terminal or homelink
View attachment 528875 View attachment 528876 View attachment 528878 View attachment 528877

Thanks for writing all this out.

I share your social media avoidance. No facebook, instagram, nothing for me either.

Is it possible to post picks of the areas you are speaking specifically about? I for one, am not versed in all the parts lingo, so pics would help greatly.

Again thanks for doing this. This is a HUGE help.

More pictures

If you live in Arizona I can do any body kit installation you want. The prior design bumper has no mounts or brackets etc. it’s a shell on the inside and most shops that customize cars cannot even do the install. If they can they charge an arm and a leg.
For the prior design bumper install on a prefacelift Tesla you can expect shops to try to charge you $7k-$10k insane! You also have to cut the parking sensor holes etc so they try justifying there stupid prices due to some of these things. You also need to extend the parking sensor cable and I recommend extending the more the better for sensor holes 2 and 5. Just those as they are the ones that will not have enough slack. If doing fender flares extend 1 and 6 as you must cut holes in the first fender flares. I’ll post pictures once the prior design bumper is finished being painted. I have a shop in Arizona that I can perform the install or I can come to your house. The shop will paint the bumper ahead of time and I will finish the install in a day depending on what you want done exactly. Sometimes in an hr if you just doing the bumper.
I can do any type of customization you want.
84D138D5-D787-460D-8E13-DEA9444745BB.jpeg
F04CE0CE-88FE-4321-9D42-752D3241FAD2.jpeg
0D113FC5-0ECB-4313-9FEE-DE84C25F37BD.jpeg
A127BB73-D65F-4C3B-BF53-8E97FCCF48DB.jpeg
30A41439-D7F5-4D3A-8788-A024F2287F4D.jpeg
794A4CE2-7D24-44EB-9CB6-5ECD2D76181A.jpeg
09657A61-7799-479A-8C5A-14A074EC548A.jpeg
19AEB4A6-A275-4026-8C09-B37E62C14AE1.jpeg
087FCE9C-1707-435B-960B-01FB9C165705.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
More pictures

If you live in Arizona I can do any body kit installation you want. The prior design bumper has no mounts or brackets etc. it’s a shell on the inside and most shops that customize cars cannot even do the install. If they can they charge an arm and a leg.
For the prior design bumper install on a prefacelift Tesla you can expect shops to try to charge you $7k-$10k insane! You also have to cut the parking sensor holes etc so they try justifying there stupid prices due to some of these things. You also need to extend the parking sensor cable and I recommend extending the more the better for sensor holes 2 and 5. Just those as they are the ones that will not have enough slack. If doing fender flares extend 1 and 6 as you must cut holes in the first fender flares. I’ll post pictures once the prior design bumper is finished being painted. I have a shop in Arizona that I can perform the install or I can come to your house. The shop will paint the bumper ahead of time and I will finish the install in a day depending on what you want done exactly. Sometimes in an hr if you just doing the bumper.
I can do any type of customization you want.

I WOULD totally take you up on your offer and pay you to do the install. Unfortunately, you're too far from me.

Do you ever make it to the New York city area? Half kidding.

I WOULD totally take you up on your offer and pay you to do the install. Unfortunately, you're too far from me.

Do you ever make it to the New York city area? Half kidding.

Lol If I had my own private jet than I would cuz I would be rich enough not to give af cuz I enjoy working on cars. But with the tips I gave and the video another member did I’m sure you can get it done even if your not handy you got too start somewhere we all did and eventually you get the hang of it

Thanks for writing all this out.

I share your social media avoidance. No facebook, instagram, nothing for me either.

Is it possible to post picks of the areas you are speaking specifically about? I for one, am not versed in all the parts lingo, so pics would help greatly.

Again thanks for doing this. This is a HUGE help.

Yes I will post some pictures showing the areas when I have the time maybe late tonight

So this is going to be REALLY annoying but I am confused about some of the things your saying above. So I broke it down.

The ankle catcher is very crucial to make the bumper get pulled downward which will allow the gap to minimized by allowing you to lower the latch as far as possible.

OK so after some google searching I found what the "ankle catcher" is.

Ankle catcher.jpg

But I'm still not sure what to do with it?

Adjusting the hood to slide forward will allow it to not hit the headlights and also make the gap smaller while minimizing the underbite. To adjust the hood loosen the top and bottom brackets and pull it. Do the bottom first and while you tighten it make sure that u r pulling it so that it will slide as far as possible. The top bolts/brackets will not slide as far forward but still will.

I'm not sure where and what you are saying to do here? Can you please explain better and maybe show pics?

Use a Model X T Badge (pics are of an S t badge but an X will fill the gap better) and cut it to angle so that it gives it less space and makes the underbite appear less.

Ok so you say to use this badge from the Model x instead.

Model X T badge.jpg

How do I cut it to work?

Not sure what this means.

if you have issues with the bumper not being perfectly flush with the headlights put washers under the t badge support that screw into the headlight brackets to raise it.

Not sure about this either.

If the bumper is sticking out right at the end where it meant the headlights make sure to push it to exactly where you want it to be than tighten the bolts all the way. Use the plastic piece that will be above the badge support and screw it into the t badge support to help fill the gap. Use very small screws in length and width so that are not noticeable.

Sorry not this either.

Make sure to cut the t badge support so that it is no hitting anything. In fact cut it so that the two mounting holes in the back are gone cuz they are not necessary anyways and it will make sure there is no obstruction from the battery terminal or homelink.

Nope not this either.

Use a mesh grill and the Autopilot will work without having to cut an opening

This I did get and already did this per your suggestion on another post.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have a P85D that I am hoping to do an OEM bumper + hood refresh on. I have a few quick questions that hopefully a few of you will be able to answer.
  1. My frunk is a single latch, does the new hood require changing the latch in order to work properly? Maybe the striker can be changed?
  2. Since it is a dual motor, I have the smaller frunk. Do I need to change it somehow? I believe that will create a lot of issues.
  3. Do the plastic pieces around the frunk need to be changed to the new style? Windshield washers? Obviously you cannot change the cabin air duct, or at least not very reasonably as far as I can tell. I suspect you would have to change the frunk, which is likely not reasonable either?
I feel very confident about the bumper portion, but I have always seen some custom work to make either hood work well. My main concern is with water intrusion (my car has already had a fun history of that).

I am attaching a spreadsheet with a list of parts I have gathered from previous posts. Part numbers have been updated to reflect the most current revision available. I believe this is everything I need, but I would love for you to double-check it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Tesla Refresh Parts List - Sheet1.pdf
    17.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
Hi everyone,

I have a P85D that I am hoping to do an OEM bumper + hood refresh on. I have a few quick questions that hopefully a few of you will be able to answer.
  1. My frunk is a single latch, does the new hood require changing the latch in order to work properly? Maybe the striker can be changed?
  2. Since it is a dual motor, I have the smaller frunk. Do I need to change it somehow? I believe that will create a lot of issues.
  3. Do the plastic pieces around the frunk need to be changed to the new style? Windshield washers? Obviously you cannot change the cabin air duct, or at least not very reasonably as far as I can tell. I suspect you would have to change the frunk, which is likely not reasonable either?
I feel very confident about the bumper portion, but I have always seen some custom work to make either hood work well. My main concern is with water intrusion (my car has already had a fun history of that).

I am attaching a spreadsheet with a list of parts I have gathered from previous posts. Part numbers have been updated to reflect the most current revision available. I believe this is everything I need, but I would love for you to double-check it.

Thanks.
Wouldn’t it be a whole lot easier and probably more cost effective just to get the unplugged performance after market fascia? That is exactly what i did and it looks fantastic. No new hood required.