Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85 Gets a 2017 facelift using OEM parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes but $3K for a urethane bumper is really price gouging. I have compete body kits on all my prior BMW and Audi is this is double that for just the bumper. The prices are elevated because they are the only show in town. I think some simple 3D-printed pieces and a body body shop and the stock bumper can work.

Reactions: BostonBurley
Yes but $3K for a urethane bumper is really price gouging. I have compete body kits on all my prior BMW and Audi is this is double that for just the bumper. The prices are elevated because they are the only show in town. I think some simple 3D-printed pieces and a body body shop and the stock bumper can work.

Agreed. The new Tesla OEM bumper is a $300 part ... 10x pricing is a steep Tesla Owner Tax :cool:

Reactions: drift
I've wanted to just take a yardstick and hold it under both front hood edges and measure the gap distance and take photos. But I never had a yardstick, a classic MS and a facelift MS nearby at the same time. ;)
Can't help with the simultaneous classic and facelift but I can tell you that a yard stick will fit quite nicely in the back of a MS and is almost unnoticeable if placed correctly; I've tried it on mine. Carry one with you!:D

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Hello all, my apologies for the huge delay. I wrote this thread, followed for a little bit and moved on. I did get some PM's from other members, sorry for the delay.

I did finish my refresh but my model S is only one of my many cars and with building a twin turbo setup for my V10 R8, documenting my Buick Grand National restoration and restoring my GMC Syclone, it gets busy!

Here is a pic of the car from summer 2017. The refresh went great. Don't pay $3k for a bumper like others have mentioned, that is a huge waste! I also did choose to keep my original hood. I did custom top and bottom grille and my original fog lights.

I am currently looking to buy a P90DL and I will do it again!

Pearl in teh rain.jpg

This thread is for the bunkers. It´s not as easy as it sounds.
Artsci proved that.
Actually it´s super hard, needs guts, dedicated people and a lot of improvisation.
Plus a new hood.
Why don´t you be open here, but instead make it sound like a breeze?

Artsci proved that.
Actually it´s super hard, needs guts, dedicated people and a lot of improvisation.
Plus a new hood.

I don't understand you comments. I said it's easy because it is actually easy. I did it, myself, in my garage with my tools. I don't understand why everyone is acting like it's "super hard". Maybe if you have never turned a wrench in your life or never modified a car it would be hard but it was very easy. I don't need to read another persons thread about doing it when I already accomplished the task. And like I said, no, it does not need a hood!

Artsci proved that.
Plus a new hood.

From what I remember, all the challenges Artsci had was because of the new hood. Lots of fabricated parts and extra work. But if you keep the old hood, the "tooth gap" is a little bigger and the part to fill that gap needs one small custom built part out of plastic or fiberglass. If you're OK with the bigger tooth gap, it seems like a pretty easy swap.

If you want to match the new facelift cars exactly, well, just ask Arsci if he'd do it again. ;)

@artsci -- if you had to do it all over again, would you keep the old hood with the bigger gap, or keep the old style nosecone?

Artsci proved that.
Plus a new hood.

HankLloyd is right, if you have been following this you would know that all of the heavy lifting in this facelift upgrade came because Artsci decided to try to add the new hood. The custom frunk bin and seal, the custom latches and all the extra work are not necessary if you keep the old hood and find an acceptable solution to fill in the gap created by the old hood/new bumper (where the Tesla T is located). Once we solve this gap fill issue, it really is "as easy as it sounds".

From what I remember, all the challenges Artsci had was because of the new hood. Lots of fabricated parts and extra work. But if you keep the old hood, the "tooth gap" is a little bigger and the part to fill that gap needs one small custom built part out of plastic or fiberglass. If you're OK with the bigger tooth gap, it seems like a pretty easy swap.
If you want to match the new facelift cars exactly, well, just ask Arsci if he'd do it again. ;)

@artsci -- if you had to do it all over again, would you keep the old hood with the bigger gap, or keep the old style nosecone?
HankLloyd is right, if you have been following this you would know that all of the heavy lifting in this facelift upgrade came because Artsci decided to try to add the new hood. The custom frunk bin and seal, the custom latches and all the extra work are not necessary if you keep the old hood and find an acceptable solution to fill in the gap created by the old hood/new bumper (where the Tesla T is located). Once we solve this gap fill issue, it really is "as easy as it sounds".
I agree. The only missing piece to the retrofit puzzle is the custom T-grill to fill the gap.
Perhaps someone can duplicate the aftermarket part using a 3-D scanner and printer. :cool:
upload_2018-1-7_12-39-8.png

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Hey Adrenalin, thanks for the updates and encouraging words on the ease of install. What did you need to do to get the original fog lights to fit? Could you take a close up picture of the fog in the new bumper when you have a chance? I am planning on doing this upgrade as well. Also any other tips that might ease the process?

• Funny
Reactions: Saleen09