Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 and MCU Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a strong believer in free and open knowledge (as long as it's not self-destructive). But over the years as I've openly shared my novel information I've found that it is never acknowledged, much less appreciated, much less reciprocated.

A culture in this community has developed of hiding info, led by the what I call the 'Cabal Of Three'. I object to this, but who am I to question it? Most here who don't have the knowledge, are too weak to do something about this culture politically (ie financially), and so it is unlikely to change. Until that happens, follow (pay) the leaders, however repugnant. I know how to survive, and I have far better ways of making money. (That's a secret too)

I suspect a lot of this has to do with bounties. So if you share something, it gets reported and then closed. So there's a lot of risk in sharing things. Of course if you don't share things they might still be independently discovered, but pool of people capable of this is smaller and often they are more careful.

First let me reiterate that my MCU upgrade was to 1045006-00-D, also a T3 CID as was the 2015 MCU I've replaced it with. So no big deal.

Second, Tesla can never counter my approach to rooting the CID, (unless they {blah blah} expensive {blah}), so I'm not worried about that.

Third, they've given new duties to the gateway which are annoying, like securing the ethernet ports every 60 seconds, but that's not a problem.

However they can (and have) moved API settings to the control of the gateway, which is a problem for me so far, so I just won't upgrade to that rev or later. I'm happy with what I have. But if they keep this up they are going to force me to crack the gateway, and then all hell breaks loose.

I have thought about blowing the lid off these little profit-driven ridiculously-priced 'services', but I wouldn't do it here.

I suspect Tesla no longer cares about MCU1 as much, most of the focus is on MCU2 and model3 - and those are quite a bit more secured compared to mcu1 (nothing is perfect of course, but the bar is significantly higher).

I suspect a lot of this has to do with bounties. So if you share something, it gets reported and then closed. So there's a lot of risk in sharing things. Of course if you don't share things they might still be independently discovered, but pool of people capable of this is smaller and often they are more careful.

Sure, but folks should be more open about sharing vulnerabilities that have already been patched. If it’s patched, what’s the point of keeping it secret?

• Love
Reactions: robby
MCU1 has a Tegra 3. MCU2 is has an Intel chipset. There is no MCU1.5.
There's "MCU0" and "MCU1" of sorts. They changed the layout of some back connectors when going to AP2 on the mcu without changing much in the way of internals.

Sure, but folks should be more open about sharing vulnerabilities that have already been patched. If it’s patched, what’s the point of keeping it secret?
Plenty of people are on older releases either by choice (7.1 before the AP restrictions were introduced) or because they have unsupported cars.
Then sometimes you are able to chain several vulnerabilities to bring old patched ones back into life (think downgrade attacks of various sorts, one of those was finally closed in 18.24).

And then there's the monetary factor - car shops pay even for old vulnerabilities that are already fixed because they often get salvage cars with old firmwares that they need to get into in order to be able to perform repairs.

That said, there's still some knowledge exchange going on, it's just everybody is super suspicious of everybody to a high degree.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: GSP and BigD0g
And then there's the monetary factor - car shops pay even for old vulnerabilities that are already fixed because they often get salvage cars with old firmwares that they need to get into in order to be able to perform repairs.

Where do I find these car shops? To the best of my knowledge, the only ones offering any kind of service to salvage vehicles in the US are @Ingineer and @wk057. They already have vulnerabilities and certainly aren’t paying for them.

Where do I find these car shops? To the best of my knowledge, the only ones offering any kind of service to salvage vehicles in the US are @Ingineer and @wk057. They already have vulnerabilities and certainly aren’t paying for them.
The shops are to be found in Europe, Africa and MiddleEast, there are whole countries with plenty of Teslas and no official support from Tesla (e.g. see Russia and Ukraine that were vacuuming US salvage market for quite some time now). There are also more people in US servicing those Tesla cars (and restoring them) that are not as well set as Ingineer and wk057.

As for how to find those shops - I don't know, I imagine some of them might advertise somewhere. I was approached here on TMC by some of them seeking information and offering to pay.

1004777-xx-x is MCU0 (prod until Dec 2015'ish),
1045006-xx-x is MCU1 (Dec 2015 - Mar 2018),
1450737-xx-x is MCU2 (Mar 2018 - today).

Upgrading from mcu0 to mcu1 is possible. You'll need the bluetooth antenna, and access to Tesla's software (or rooting skills, I guess).

Upgrading from mcu1 to mcu2 I have not seen done, but I see no reasons why it shouldn't be possible - again, provided you have the SW tools necessary.

I'm sure it's possible to jump straight from mcu0 to mcu2 too

• Informative
Reactions: Jack Tripper
1004777-xx-x is MCU0 (prod until Dec 2015'ish),
1045006-xx-x is MCU1 (Dec 2015 - Mar 2018),
1450737-xx-x is MCU2 (Mar 2018 - today).

Upgrading from mcu0 to mcu1 is possible. You'll need the bluetooth antenna, and access to Tesla's software (or rooting skills, I guess).

Upgrading from mcu1 to mcu2 I have not seen done, but I see no reasons why it shouldn't be possible - again, provided you have the SW tools necessary.

I'm sure it's possible to jump straight from mcu0 to mcu2 too
Do you also need Toolbox for swapping a MCU0 for MCU0?

I've done a couple writeups on DIY, one of which is linked in my sig. I haven't seen any other howto's like these.

As to independent control of the car, Tinker Board has proven to be a time-wasting disaster. One Raspberry Pi 3B+ failed eth0, and another failed wifi. Trash, AFAIC.

So I'm now working up an Arduino Yun to connect to the car's switch and link in to my LAN by wifi. There's even a CAN shield, which could be interesting. I'm enthusiastic about the Arduino platform for several reasons. Hope it pans out.

Last edited: