TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2015 and MCU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rooter, Jul 25, 2018.

1. kdday

kdday Member

Can you elaborate as to what "newer" means here (model year or firmware version that effectuates this change). Also, does that mean "older" cars can still make configuration changes in the future?

2. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

AFAIK, MCU2 is “newer.” It is possible that they have recently backported these changes to MCU1 but I have no visibility into that.

3. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

Forgive my ignorance, is this thread saying someone has upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2 themselves?

4. appleguru

appleguru Member

No, “just” MCU1 to a newer MCU1. Still a pretty impressive feat!

• Informative x 2
  5. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

I suspect a lot of this has to do with bounties. So if you share something, it gets reported and then closed. So there's a lot of risk in sharing things. Of course if you don't share things they might still be independently discovered, but pool of people capable of this is smaller and often they are more careful.

I suspect Tesla no longer cares about MCU1 as much, most of the focus is on MCU2 and model3 - and those are quite a bit more secured compared to mcu1 (nothing is perfect of course, but the bar is significantly higher).

• Informative x 2
  6. Jack Tripper

Jack Tripper Member

What's the difference between MCU1 and the newer MCU1? Is the part number in the OP considered MCU 1.5?

7. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

MCU1 has a Tegra 3. MCU2 is has an Intel chipset. There is no MCU1.5.

8. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Sure, but folks should be more open about sharing vulnerabilities that have already been patched. If it’s patched, what’s the point of keeping it secret?

• Love x 1
  9. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

There's "MCU0" and "MCU1" of sorts. They changed the layout of some back connectors when going to AP2 on the mcu without changing much in the way of internals.

Plenty of people are on older releases either by choice (7.1 before the AP restrictions were introduced) or because they have unsupported cars.
    Then sometimes you are able to chain several vulnerabilities to bring old patched ones back into life (think downgrade attacks of various sorts, one of those was finally closed in 18.24).

And then there's the monetary factor - car shops pay even for old vulnerabilities that are already fixed because they often get salvage cars with old firmwares that they need to get into in order to be able to perform repairs.

That said, there's still some knowledge exchange going on, it's just everybody is super suspicious of everybody to a high degree.

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Where do I find these car shops? To the best of my knowledge, the only ones offering any kind of service to salvage vehicles in the US are @Ingineer and @wk057. They already have vulnerabilities and certainly aren’t paying for them.

11. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

The shops are to be found in Europe, Africa and MiddleEast, there are whole countries with plenty of Teslas and no official support from Tesla (e.g. see Russia and Ukraine that were vacuuming US salvage market for quite some time now). There are also more people in US servicing those Tesla cars (and restoring them) that are not as well set as Ingineer and wk057.

As for how to find those shops - I don't know, I imagine some of them might advertise somewhere. I was approached here on TMC by some of them seeking information and offering to pay.

12. lunitiks

lunitiks Cool James & Black Teacher

1004777-xx-x is MCU0 (prod until Dec 2015'ish),
    1045006-xx-x is MCU1 (Dec 2015 - Mar 2018),
    1450737-xx-x is MCU2 (Mar 2018 - today).

Upgrading from mcu0 to mcu1 is possible. You'll need the bluetooth antenna, and access to Tesla's software (or rooting skills, I guess).

Upgrading from mcu1 to mcu2 I have not seen done, but I see no reasons why it shouldn't be possible - again, provided you have the SW tools necessary.

I'm sure it's possible to jump straight from mcu0 to mcu2 too

• Informative x 1
  13. robby

robby Member

At least one service center has done a MCU1 => MCU2 retrofit. It took some pretty extenuating circumstances, and they have rejected subsequent requests.

• Informative x 1
  14. pkodali

pkodali Banned

Woah, can you link this?

15. robby

robby Member

I don't have a link, sorry. I heard it first hand from the owner, whom I have every reason to trust.

16. appleguru

appleguru Member

• Funny x 3
  17. robby

robby Member

18. Dutchmeeuw

Dutchmeeuw Member

Do you also need Toolbox for swapping a MCU0 for MCU0?

19. lunitiks

lunitiks Cool James & Black Teacher

20. rooter

rooter Member

#40 rooter, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    I've done a couple writeups on DIY, one of which is linked in my sig. I haven't seen any other howto's like these.

As to independent control of the car, Tinker Board has proven to be a time-wasting disaster. One Raspberry Pi 3B+ failed eth0, and another failed wifi. Trash, AFAIC.

So I'm now working up an Arduino Yun to connect to the car's switch and link in to my LAN by wifi. There's even a CAN shield, which could be interesting. I'm enthusiastic about the Arduino platform for several reasons. Hope it pans out.