Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Q1 Discussion thread for Delivery numbers, Earnings Report and Conference Call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated Conservative Low Number

China Q1: 1353
Europe Q1: 3007
North America Q1: 4700
Other : 600 (UK, Switzerland, Belgium, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia)

Total: 9660

Can you please elaborate on your China number (1353)?
Is this an estimate?
What is the input to get to that number?
Is that number registrations from Tesla / scalpers, sales from Tesla / scalpers or deliveries from Tesla / scalpers?

To my opinion this China figure is way too high.

Last edited:
In another thread CS is estimating 3,500 Europe, 1,500 ROW, and guessing that 4,500 US is a walk in the park without making any actual estimate as to the real number. I'm calling 10,001 at this point.

You are estimating 10,001 worldwide deliveries in Q1 2014?
What numbers make you think so optimistic about Q1 deliveries?
As far as I remember Tesla had production issues and the port strike issues beginning of this year.

As far as I remember Tesla had production issues and the port strike issues beginning of this year.
Well I am taking the Credit Suisse report at face value but the Europe numbers work with what has come in so far. Then InsideEVs for NA.
Europe 3,500
ROW 1,500
InsideEVs 4,700
Total: 9,700

Then I am adding 301 because if I were Tesla I would want to find that extra 301 just so we could say we delivered 10,001 cars this quarter and that sounds bigger than 9,700. So, that last 301 probably falls in the category of wishful thinking but frankly I always do that. Numbers wise I think 9,700 is a reasonable estimate though.

Edit: Does InsideEVs leave out Canada? Either way I think we are squarely in the 9,500-10,000 range.

except for "next gen seat" backlog (long beach port strike), I don't recall any Other evidence that the LB Port Strike resulted in any production slow down in Q1 at all. in the case of the next gen P85Ds, tesla was able to build those cars with old seats in Q4

If anyone has any solid evidence of tesla indicating they had slower production in Q1 DUE TO Port Strike, please post that evidence

thanks!

Tesla Guided for 9500 deliveries and 10500 production in Q1

Q1 2014 - 6457 - $713,000,000
Q1 2015 - 9660 - $966,000,000

That is a solid +50% cars delivered globally and +30% rev.
We have a higher ASP per car, plus a new CPO program, plus Smart Energy Storage for Home and Enterprise that ties into Solar City.
This is shaping up like a good quarter and a fantastic beginning to the year.

China Q1: 1353
Europe Q1: 3007
North America Q1: 4700
Other : 600 (UK, Switzerland, Belgium, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia)

Total Q1: 9660

Revenue Q1: $966,000,000

Notes: China Q1 469+260+260*2.4 = 1353
I used 140% month over month gain from Elons tweet "130-150% month over month"
Disclosure: I am $TSLA Long + I added to my position this AM. All the information came from "inter-tubes".

I think the question was where you got the 469 and 260 numbers but I think I quickly found your source:
Tesla February Registrations in China Tumble, JL Warren Says - Bloomberg Business

BTW, this is confused by another report that said 120 for January but that may have been new orders booked as opposed to deliveries.

I don't think the 120 number was orders (that would be absolutely dismal). I think that it is deliveries. This falls between the estimate of 10 imported and 469 registered. If it was orders, it would be a very bad leak from the Tesla China team.

Can you please elaborate on your China number (1353)?
Is this an estimate?
What is the input to get to that number?
Is that number registrations from Tesla / scalpers, sales from Tesla / scalpers or deliveries from Tesla / scalpers?

To my opinion this China figure is way too high.

He got the 1353 number by taking the registrations numbers for January (469) and February (260) and then taking the midpoint of the Bloomberg information that Chinese sales rocketed 130-150% from February to March. With this, he got 624 cars in China, or 1353 cars in Q1. However, this isn't conservative per se. There were reports that Tesla sold 120 cars in January (for reference, the import number was 10 and the registrations was 469). If we adjust these numbers to use this estimate for January, we get 1004 cars.

Now, I also think Insideevs is WAY off for January and February in North America (they have 1100 and 1150). This is only 50 cars higher than Jan+Feb of their last year estimate, and 350 cars lower than Jan+Feb estimate in 2013. Hybrid Cars estimates 1500 cars in January and 1400 cars in February for the US. We also have Canada thrown into the mix, where January registrations were 99 cars.

I'm going to do some sacrilegious things to get an estimate for US+CAN but I think this will make a conservative, yet not a completely erroneous estimate (like the one from InsideEVs). To be fair, its sort of ok to do this because InsideEVs and Hybrid Cars both guess wildly when it comes to the monthly figures anyway. For January, I will average together Hybrid Cars estimate and InsideEVs estimate (minus 99 cars for Canada because InsideEVs does NA total, not US) to get 1250 cars (rounded down), we will add back the 99 Canadian cars later. Then, for February, I will just take the Hybrid Cars estimate of 1400 and in order to make it conservative, I will say that number includes Canada. For March, I will just use InsideEVs number of 2450. This gets us to 5,199 cars in NA for Q1.

So there's my estimate (adjusted from Zak333's estimate):

NA: 5,199 cars
Europe: 3,007 cars
China: 1,004 cars
Other: 500 cars (UK, Switzerland, Belgium, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia)

Total: 9,710 cars

Last edited:
My optimistic number is Total: 9,720-9,900 cars. But I like to put a realistic low-ball floor to my numbers and I see that at 9560-9660
Having said that, we should look at ASP, and other revenue sources that will positively impact Q1, that thats were the real story is.

NA: 5,199 cars
Europe: 3,007 cars
China: 1,004 cars
Other: 500 cars (UK, Switzerland, Belgium, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia)

Total: 9,710 cars
The Europe number does not include Belgium which just came in at 139 for March so 3,146 and don't forget the UK, Switzerland, and Denmark are still pending for March. I would bet those three could easily add 200 to the total so if I decide to trust your NA number that is easily above 10,000. I'll stand by my original estimate of slightly over 10,000 just because it is as good as any.

The Europe number does not include Belgium which just came in at 139 for March so 3,146 and don't forget the UK, Switzerland, and Denmark are still pending for March. I would bet those three could easily add 200 to the total so if I decide to trust your NA number that is easily above 10,000. I'll stand by my original estimate of slightly over 10,000 just because it is as good as any.

The UK data is lagging. The last data we have is for Q3, which was at 282. I would be surprised if this quarter doesn't at least match that number so that will add a nice amount to the European numbers.

In another thread CS is estimating 3,500 Europe, 1,500 ROW, and guessing that 4,500 US is a walk in the park without making any actual estimate as to the real number. I'm calling 10,001 at this point.

every quarter many of us (me included) thought there was a good chance that TSLA crushed deliveries...yet it hasn't happened in several quarters...let's remember this mindset we all had going into previous quarters and not overhype the possibility for it to happen ths quarter...

every quarter many of us (me included) thought there was a good chance that TSLA crushed deliveries...yet it hasn't happened in several quarters...let's remember this mindset we all had going into previous quarters and not overhype the possibility for it to happen ths quarter...

501 over a low ball guidance is not crushing it.

Would the market get excited with 10,001 deliveries and cause TSLA to shoot up 20%?

I don't think a beat of 500 is any more than Tesla would normally aim for. Anyway fair enough because I'm not actually buying calls or anything because of this. But at some point Tesla will start beating guidance and that will help change sentiment.

501 over a low ball guidance is not crushing it.

Would the market get excited with 10,001 deliveries and cause TSLA to shoot up 20%?

No, not necessarily...but I see this drill every quarter...this is how it startsspeculating of a beat by 500 and as time gets closer to ER some of us (I have been guilty of this too) start speculating that there will be a major beat of a couple thousand cars at least...a few may dismiss it as unlikely while others will run with it because it is fantasize how much richer we will be as TSLA stock owners if ths happens...maybe the press starts reporting speculation to this big beat nature too referencing "the forums"...there will not be any people on here speculating that Tesla missed by 1000-2000 cars to balance this out...even John Lovallo will play into this to help set expectations high by saying something like "even though tesla is expected to beat guidance this quarter substantially according to the forums, their future outlook is poor because..." So that if we just were to meet guidance, it's even worse than Lovallo expected and builds more of a bear case

what im saying is that we are becoming our own worst enemy every quarter from a market psychology point of view by speculating the way we do...I just hope it doesn't backfire again this quarter

- - - Updated - - -

They had a party on the 22 of march in Fremont
https://www.facebook.com/mytesla.be...0.1428027143./462133633936863/?type=3&theater

Party means good work!

Does it really? Or maybe it was someone's birthday, or a late annual party, or perhaps a party to celebrate working overtime for so many days just to do whatever it takes to barely meet their production goal for that quarter, let's not only speculate the good possibilities but also the bad possibilities or at least the not-so-good possibilities