Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you trade this in or keep it as second car

• trade it in

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • keep it

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • It is likely to be low maintenance for a year or two. your choice.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • It is likely to be high maintenance for a year or two. your choice

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Dr K,

My wife's 2015 Model S 85 D has been like a Good dream...
We are the original owners, picked it up in May 2015.
Hardtop - no sunroof - 19" Wheels.
Maintenance to date:
Airbag recall
Steering Recall
Seat belt recall
Adjust a door handle

New tires.
She rarely supercharges - lifetime less than 10 times.
Still on original 12 volt battery!!!

Original battery miles at 100% is 271.
Her 100% as shown today on the app is 270.

Shawn

How many miles???

2015 S85D with >50k miles. No way I am getting rid of her anytime soon, it would be stupid. Price will always be much more than any repairs, even after I run out of ext. warranty in 2023.

If by 2023 the newer MS or competitor will be vastly superior I might change my mind.

I have a mid 2015 85D and it’s been really good. 60k miles now and all its had (plus 1 wheel and lots of tyres) is two suspension links and two rear struts (non powered) replaced under the initial four year warranty. I chose not to extend the warranty. Since then it has been in to service once and had the frunk latch replaced and a handle realigned.

Whilst I have been chargegated but not batterygated (yet), I like the car and am starting to think some of it’s classic features are rather cool. It has AP1 which is so smooth (and reads and responds to speed limit signs!), real leather next gen Recaro seats (front only ), a sunroof (with roof bar option), metallic black paint, free connectivity and free supercharging. It has coil suspension which is fine but I do prefer how the air suspension cars handle the “speed bumps” which we are blessed with here in the UK. I thought the coils would be a more reliable bet long term but clearly these things are difficult to predict as there is not much noise on this forum about the air suspension reliability.

So the MCU will die sometime, but I expect to be able to upgrade it when that happens which will be good and I will get the LTE upgrade then. I might even get the second charger unlocked if I get batterygated.

I’m not blind to Tesla’s faults but I have a gen 2 Prius and when the equivalent MCU fault happened on that car (happened to my father in law‘s identical one) Toyota asked for £4500!

I’m going to keep mine for a few years yet.

Ian