Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S MCU has a life expectancy

Have you replaced your MCU?

• YES

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • NO

Votes: 32 71.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
racking up a bill of 40000 encounting.
Do you mean $4,000?
I've been evangelizing buying Extended Service Agreement (extended warranty) but people keep telling me that what can go wrong?
I think the odds that you will have over $4,000 in repairs during the extended warranty period is pretty slim.

Reactions: SO16 and brkaus
There are a handful of threads on this topic. Including a survey with replace/not replace and after how many years.

Agree it's terrible design. Tesla should also replace the daughter card and not the entire thing. Shouldn't cost more than $250 plus labor.

BTW - there are people that can do it for much and will replace it with a higher grade eMMC. Of course, that carries risks too.

Last edited:
Has this changed? I thought the HV battery was 8 years.

The new vehicle warranty covers the battery for 8 years, but you're quoting the parts warranty. If you buy a new battery pack from Tesla (as opposed to warranty replacement), for whatever reason, it will be warrantied for 4 years. If you get your pack replaced under the car's warranty, it will be covered for the remainder of the original warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and P100D_Me
Incredibly sad how Tesla does not stand behind their CEO's words and their product.
That's what happens when the CEO's words write checks the company cannot cover. Those pesky employees who don't want to work for free, and suppliers who dare to ask for money for their parts. Elon expected all these things because you know, everyone should be sacrificing whatever is necessary for the mission of sustainable transportation - at least that is how he sees it in his head (of course he does insist on billions worth of stocks in return for his work, but he's special).

I'm sure a case could be made for 4 years on a new one; but I highly doubt it would work on a remanufactured part like mine is.

What are you talking about?

"Repair or replacement of Tesla-branded parts purchased directly from Tesla, over-the-counter, online or purchased and installed by Tesla Service or a Tesla Body Shop" falls under this warranty and for a touchscreen it is 4 years (end of story). It doesn't specify this warranty is only for NEW or not remanufactured or whatever. Quite the opposite as long as you went through Tesla for the purchase of it and repair work.

You can thank @MP3Mike for the info. Vehicle Warranty

Reactions: ucmndd and MP3Mike
The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods:

• Drive Unit: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first

I just got my car back from drive unit replacement under warranty.
I asked how long is the new motor warranty.
They said 8 years unlimited miles.

What they say cannot actually modify, at least negatively, the written warranty. If they actually do something to help after 4 years is a gamble. You can make them do it for 4 years, 50k miles.
The battery & drive unit has 8 year /unlimited from purchase by default, doesn’t it? A drive unit replaced under warranty would have the remainder of that term.