Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 s75 out of warranty costs - be warned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is a nov 2016 delivery, first of the AP2 Hardware cars delivered.

In June 2019 I had steering wheel controls replaced as there was no functions on steering wheel and horn did not work
they replaced the stalk controls, replaced under warranty
In Nov of 2019 same issue and they replaced the actual steering wheel controls (both sides) this was the first out of warranty repair
within 45 days the same problem recurs and i set up an appointment 45 day wait canceled twice on me. While I am waiting for this appointment the main screen dies!
Estimate sent to me was over $4000 ($1800 for the REFURB screen/MCU alone)

If this is the way this car holds up I am definitely moving on when the I4 arrives

Sorry to hear about your issues. Certainly the steering should be covered from the failed prior repairs?

I am surprised that we have not seen a class action lawsuit for the MCU1 yet. Seems every day we have a few posts about people hitting the wall. Tesla has to be doing the math on this and knowing there is a tsunami of cars with this problem coming.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
@Altes Sorry to hear about your issues. I guess your mileage is past the 50K miles?
  1. Is the car in your profile pic your car? It appears to be a nose cone (pre-facelft model). If it is, its not AP2, its AP1 as AP2 came out in August 2016 (facelift model)
  2. What is "I4"?

...I am surprised that we have not seen a class action lawsuit for the MCU1 yet...

There's no breach of contract. Tesla honors free repairs during the New Warranty period and for $200 deductible during the Extended Service Agreement period.

It's those who don't believe in the Extended Service Agreement would take the risk of paying from the self-funded reserve.

@Altes Sorry to hear about your issues. I guess your mileage is past the 50K miles?
  1. Is the car in your profile pic your car? It appears to be a nose cone (pre-facelft model). If it is, its not AP2, its AP1 as AP2 came out in August 2016 (facelift model)
  2. What is "I4"?
Yes long story car in pc has the wheels I bought but never put on car (axis allies set of 4 with contis 21 inch $1000) car is indeed new fascia. and actually I ordered my car in september and they called me in october and told be i was upgraded to AP2 hardware and was one of the first

BMW I4 will be out next year, beginning of the end for tesla

There's no breach of contract. Tesla honors free repairs during the New Warranty period and for $200 deductible during the Extended Service Agreement period.

It's those who don't believe in the Extended Service Agreement would take the risk of paying from the self-funded reserve.
those that pay the extended service dont get the MCU crippled until after the extended warranty stops!!

• Funny
Reactions: Gumball
You do realize this line has been said for what.....a decade now?

ah....but this time....THIS TIME!!!!’

As if these other vehicles from other companies will be perfect. Yeah...ok.
At this point I will take BMW lies over Tesla lies, and BMW is a CAR company so yes they will build higher quality cars than tesla.

I neglected to mention that my car was delivered with a MASSIVE trunk leak that required replacement of the entire rear carpet and insulation, Oh and then there was the replacement of the motor AND Axles at 43 K. My 2002tii M3, and 330i all were going strong at 250K plus, (and sadly I thought that switching to Tesla electric would SAVE maintinance $$$)

Last edited:
At this point I will take BMW lies over Tesla lies, and BMW is a CAR company so yes they will build higher quality cars than tesla.

I neglected to mention that my car was delivered with a MASSIVE trunk leak that required replacement of the entire rear carpet and insulation, Oh and then there was the replacement of the motor AND Axles at 43 K. My 2002tii M3, and 330i all were going strong at 250K plus, (and sadly I thought that switching to Tesla electric would SAVE maintinance $$$)

Yes unfortunate. Did you have to pay for those fixes?

I hope you have good luck with BMW. Many do not.

Not an i4 but you get the idea. Good thing many of these repairs were fixed under warranty but will be interesting for costs outside of warranty.
Major repairs ? : BMWi3

Last edited:
Sure, because BMWs are so notoriously cheap to repair out of warranty. Good luck to you, Sir!
On average yes, just don't take them to a dealer, unlike tesla there are independant shops that repair cars and MANUALS that allow DIY. Tesla is so F'ed up about secrecy in their shops and allowing third party repair that it makes on wonder what is behind the curtain.
On average my M3 and 330i cost roughly 500-1000 per year after 5 or so years. I am at 4400 a year after 4 years with tesla.

Reactions: Eclectic
Yes unfortunate. Did you have to pay for those fixes?

I hope you have good luck with BMW. Many do not.

Not an i4 but you get the idea. Good thing many of these repairs were fixed under warranty but will be interesting for costs outside of warranty.
Major repairs ? : BMWi3
Good to know
No did not have to pay, happy for the 8 yr drivetrain but plenty other systems on the car that should not fail (ie main screen MCU - gee i have 20 yr old laptops that still work fine, oh and they are faster than MCU 1 by a long shot)

I dunno - YMMV here too. My MS85 has been out of warranty since I purchased it used. It’s been to the service center twice, both times I got an MS75D loaner free of charge. These are The growing pains of a relatively new company with proprietary tech. They aren’t going to give you the keys to the kingdom any more than any other manufacturer will. The aftermarket is catching up, and there are a few shops out there including some supporting vendors here that can and do work on these cars to include the software side. You’re going to have the same amount of difficulty finding an independent shop to diagnose and repair any EV, I don’t care who built it.

Reactions: SilverGS and SO16
Altes. Sounds like your are Jonesing for the new I4. Sounds like it will be a good car.

Perhaps you are using the fear of out of warranty repair costs to justify buying a new car. No problem, we all do it :)

One nice thing about Tesla aftermarket repairs is now there are lots of independent dismantlers that will sell you pre owned parts for cheap. Can use this to keep your after warranty repairs more reasonable.

No worries here. BMW/Mercedes/Audi owners tend to sell their cars also when the warrany runs out. Keeps the economy going.

My car is a nov 2016 delivery, first of the AP2 Hardware cars delivered.

In June 2019 I had steering wheel controls replaced as there was no functions on steering wheel and horn did not work
they replaced the stalk controls, replaced under warranty
In Nov of 2019 same issue and they replaced the actual steering wheel controls (both sides) this was the first out of warranty repair
within 45 days the same problem recurs and i set up an appointment 45 day wait canceled twice on me. While I am waiting for this appointment the main screen dies!

Standard repairs have a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty so you weren't charged for that, right?

Take the $1800 MCU replacement which has a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty.