Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016's getting pushed back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so when others have said "the wait is the hardest part" i though... nah saving for more than a year was hard. well turns out i was wrong, for most of january i just watched the time pass by without any care. but now that we are in the second day of febuary i am really really longing for the day i at least see "your model s is being built..."

From my past experience ordering cars (not specifically Teslas), I can tell you that the closer the car gets to you, the harder the wait is. Once it's through production and on the ship/truck, it's even more excruciating. And when it's at the store but not through dealer prep, don't expect to sleep at night.

The last time I ordered a car, it arrived at the dealer late one afternoon and I was flying out of town very early the next morning. I stopped by just to take a look at it (pre-dealer prep) and take a few pictures, but then had to spend the whole trip thinking about the fact that the car (on which I'd placed a deposit eight months earlier) was sitting there waiting to be picked up. Fortunately for me, when I finally got home my wife drove me straight from the airport to the dealership.

Yah, when my XC60 R-Design came into the dealer's lot on a car carrier I was there to meet it. That was about 5 years ago and a custom build too. 4 month wait part of which was a trans-Atlantic crossing in a RORO ship. I even tracked the ship on a daily basis! Very Very sick. Sigh....

As an aside, yesterday I ordered some Z16 Zaino Perfect Tire Gloss... I was running low. It is the best stuff for the appearance of tires. Leaves tires black and matte (not glossy as the products name appears). It is a milky white substance that you rub onto the tire and it dries ungreasy and does not fling off. UV protectant too. Super product and I noticed it was the go to tire treatment at the Gold Coast and Greenwich Concours' as well as Caffeine and Cars.

My car just went into production sometime overnight (10pm last night was in the queue, 8am this morning says being built). I'm also missing the date for the estimated delivery, and the portion of my page where it used to say Late February - March is now just says "First Available". Considering several other cars being delivered to the Decatur, GA SC entered production this week, perhaps they do some grouping by region when producing.

Congrats! Mine is also going to Decatur but not as advanced re: production as yours. Mine may be next week or so--I hope they don't delay your shipment to SC because they wait for others to be built. MyTesla info has to changed re: delivery date but I will keep a close eye on it!

so when others have said "the wait is the hardest part" i though... nah saving for more than a year was hard. well turns out i was wrong, for most of january i just watched the time pass by without any care. but now that we are in the second day of febuary i am really really longing for the day i at least see "your model s is being built..."
LOL

- - - Updated - - -

From my past experience ordering cars (not specifically Teslas), I can tell you that the closer the car gets to you, the harder the wait is. Once it's through production and on the ship/truck, it's even more excruciating. And when it's at the store but not through dealer prep, don't expect to sleep at night.

The last time I ordered a car, it arrived at the dealer late one afternoon and I was flying out of town very early the next morning. I stopped by just to take a look at it (pre-dealer prep) and take a few pictures, but then had to spend the whole trip thinking about the fact that the car (on which I'd placed a deposit eight months earlier) was sitting there waiting to be picked up. Fortunately for me, when I finally got home my wife drove me straight from the airport to the dealership.
LOL. Great story. Thanks for the laugh.

I am also scheduled for delivery Feb 13-20th in Eden Prairie, MN. I confirmed the first week of Jan for a Model S 70D. Now the longest short wait ever....
Very jealous. I confirmed 12/22 and went into production 2/3. Unfortunately my delivery date is: . My DS had no further information when I spoke to him on Friday -- same delivery estimate now as when I ordered (late Feb/March). Hard to believe they can't/won't give a tighter window now that it's in production.

What's Next?

In Production
Your Model S is in production. Including delivery time, your current estimated delivery is . We will notify you if this date is pulled forward or pushed back due to changes in production.

My car went into production on 2/6 and I've also got the delivery date of " ." My DS recently changed and the new one hasn't responded to any of my emails (I've tried 3 times over the past couple weeks). I tried emailing the delivery@ address on Friday, so we'll see if that nets any response.

I'm planning to pick up at the factory, so presumably I should be getting pretty close to my delivery date. Should I be expecting more than the silent treatment at this point? Should I try visiting a service center or giving them a call?

Based on what I have read (here in this thread & other threads), call the toll free number & give them your info & see what they say. Maybe it's just the excitement of waiting but the communication between Fremont & the outside world is not very good.

Customer communication is a long-standing Tesla problem. Your interactions can vary dramatically depending on which individual you deal with within Tesla, and also with their workload.

I haven't paid much attention in a long time to the order delivery status issues, but feel as if that has continued to be a bit flaky. One personal example: when I ordered my vehicle back in July, 2013, as it neared shipment the status changed from "in production" BACK to "sourcing parts". It looked as Tesla was completely starting over on building my car! Fortunately, as an avid TMC.com reader, I already knew that the status changing back to "sourcing parts" REALLY meant that the car had exited manufacturing and soon would be shipped.

Alan

Based on what I have read (here in this thread & other threads), call the toll free number & give them your info & see what they say. Maybe it's just the excitement of waiting but the communication between Fremont & the outside world is not very good.

Customer communication is a long-standing Tesla problem. Your interactions can vary dramatically depending on which individual you deal with within Tesla, and also with their workload.

I haven't paid much attention in a long time to the order delivery status issues, but feel as if that has continued to be a bit flaky. One personal example: when I ordered my vehicle back in July, 2013, as it neared shipment the status changed from "in production" BACK to "sourcing parts". It looked as Tesla was completely starting over on building my car! Fortunately, as an avid TMC.com reader, I already knew that the status changing back to "sourcing parts" REALLY meant that the car had exited manufacturing and soon would be shipped.

Alan

Thanks for letting me know about your experience--if I saw "Sourcing Parts" I never would have thought that really meant "Time To Party"!

How do you know when your projected delivery date is ?

I placed my order a week ago (12/31) and just confirmed this evening. Up until my confirmation time it was saying "late February", but just after I confirmed, it switched to "March/Early April" I assume it's not really, but feels like a bait and switch...
On the other hand, I got my VIN less than an hour after confirming. Is that usual, and does it mean anything about the status of the order?

How do you know when your projected delivery date is ?

Hey Dan: we have almost the exact same car (option list, color & confirm date). Maybe mine will get done as well! "Hello, Fremont?"

My status was just updated to In transit this morning :)

My delivery date changed from Late February - March to February 25th - March 10th. I've gotta get moving on that NEMA 14-50 installation.

My birthday is March 2nd, hoping it comes before then!