Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.44 - Whats in it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s funny how everyone seems to have forgotten the easy egress mode that’s also in this update. That’s what I’m looking forward to. It’s exciting that this will bring my S up to the level of my Sonata PHEV, that’s always had this feature. ;)

From what I understand, valet mode only limits top speed to 80mph. Chill mode reduces torque curve. Like an eco mode in some EV or Prius.
Nope. Valet limits power. Can see it on the display with the dashed lines.

Attachments

• E440D680-782B-4979-AA4D-1BA6049F812F.jpeg
    E440D680-782B-4979-AA4D-1BA6049F812F.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 90
I really don’t understand chill mode. Is there anyone that can’t accelerate smoothly without chill mode? Smooth mode is necessary to achieve this? Really?
I'm ok with the pedal but there have been a few times where I have tapped the go pedal just to inch up a bit and for whatever reason I end up jolting everyone in the car by accident. Really only when I have ludicrous on though, which is pretty much all the time. With a newborn on the way I might have a use for chill mode but I'm thinking just normal standard mode would be fine. Still not sure if P models will get 3 choices to choose from.

Got it yesterday but haven't installed it yet.

Chill could have come in handy in the early days of AP. Ghost breaking, thankfully mostly gone now, was a real deal breaker and had me questioning if I made a major mistake buying a Tesla. Was used to reading all the glowing AP1 reports here...

AP2 early days you either disabled AP when there were passengers to avoid whiplash when you stabbed the go pedal in response to heavy unexpected braking, or wound up with a PO'd spouse. It was easy to keep a relaxed right foot on long AP2 drives, and if you didn't keep your foot hovering right over the go pedal, it was common, at least for me, to stab it just a tad too hard in response.

Also, for someone just going through the learning curve, chill is very welcomed. As a passenger, I don't want her getting back at me. :eek:

Reactions: croman
Of course there were no published changes in AP behavior but so far I've found this release to be the best yet, significant improvement over .42 in certain scenarios. Lane change seems slightly different, almost perfect now - .42 was a little bit too slow.

I have one spot on my commute where the left-most freeway lane splits into two that has caused every prior version to have a fit and wildly swing between lanes while it tries to settle on which one to use. The .44 release seems to finally handle that in a way that I would consider acceptable.

S RWD. Even so, I still can't imagine that owners can't modulate the go pedal to enable smooth acceleration with any variant of the S.

I don't see why you need to be so insensitive about this. Features like this are meant to assist the driver to smoothly drive their car. Especially for people who drive alone and aggressively most of the time, it's not always easy to remember the impact of sudden throttle inputs.

It's just like why is it so hard to move your seat back yourself instead of using easy entry, or why your mirrors need to rotate down on their own when you shift into reverse.

you have a Model S 75, right? You posted earlier that you just got it. I'll assume it's a 75.

I must say the D changes everything with respect to initial acceleration and the ability to put torque down so you might be missing out on some of that and thus not get the need for help modulating the throttle.

Also a 90D or 100D experience is radically different to that of a 75 RWD. Not to mention any of the P variants.

So perhaps your experience in your rear wheel drive, 75 kw battery isn't really indicative of all owners.

Also...why complain about an added feature? It's not like they neutered your throttle...they are giving you the option to self neuter for whatever reason you wish. Can't see the downside.

My car got uncorked and received 2017.44. While I’m generally “boo” on chill mode, I wouldn’t want to floor the car currently with infants in the back. Chill mode is muchly appreciated when they’re in the car. Ucorked mode, even in the M75X is uncomfortably fast at lane-passing acceleration.