Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.46 3387a54 is out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, you have to remember that Tesla doesn't release updates like Apple. Not everyone gets every update.

In looking at ev-fw I can see that 1,149 cars reported getting a 2017.42.x release. Only 239 reported getting .44, 245 getting .46.x, and 85 getting .48.

So my guess is that more than 50% of the people that got .42 are still on .42.

As someone taking delivery of a Model S on Friday these firmware rollout questions have piqued my interest. What's the rationale for not pushing software updates to everyone. Is there any rhyme or reason to why someone like Vrgs13 perpetually seems to have slow updates rolled out to his car?

That makes sense sure. I can see a _slow_ rollout happen over a few days....but an owner has to wait months? That seems weird.

Updates seem to fall into two categories. M updates like 8.0 roll out pretty quick. The regular updates (more like patches) roll out much slower. Sometimes they seem to be model focused (S, X, 3), AP version focused, General, etc. For example .48 seems to be rolling out much faster to AP 2.5. While we can only speculate, it might be focused on something with the 2.5 AP hardware they are testing and it might all be in shadow mode.

If it’s a major patch, they roll out quick to the models that need it. If it’s minor or more beta testing who know.

I find it frustrating and exciting at the same time! Enjoy the ride!

That makes sense sure. I can see a _slow_ rollout happen over a few days....but an owner has to wait months? That seems weird.
Not all firmware releases have user-visible improvements worthy of a wide rollout. Note that rolling out a 500MB update to the entire fleet of cars also incurs a nontrivial CDN fee, and the support overhead of some cars failing to update, etc etc etc.

Plus, as weather and driving conditions change, A/B testing at the same time is the most reliable way to compare metrics (e.g. autopilot disengagement rates) between builds.

I don't think updates trickling out over a few months is that unusual. Historically it really is 2 or so months between wide rollouts of releases, and can be even longer in between for AP1 cars. It's agonizing as a customer to wait, but it makes a lot of sense why release management is done this way.

Reactions: Joshnickell