Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.3.f3425a1 is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ran a quick test of AP on 50.3 last night on a very windy back road near my home and I was shocked that the car was able to drive this section without disengaging. It was a bit harrowing as the car does not slow down enough for me on very tight curves and also a bit too close to the lines on the road, but it was able to complete a really tough section of road.

According to Elon's tweet today, Tesla hasn't just got rid of a dedicated rain sensor, but also dedicated 'sun' sensor. This isn't entirely clear to me. The AP1 sensor apparently has both 'rain', 'solar' and 'ambient light' sensing. So if 'solar' and 'ambient light' are two different things in this respect - what functionality is Elon referring to? Is it the sensor that controls screen brightness?

They are.

The solar sensor is commonly used by e.g. the climate control systems while the light sensor is used by screen auto-brightness.

Hot sun is different from bright light...

They are.

The solar sensor is commonly used by e.g. the climate control systems while the light sensor is used by screen auto-brightness.

Hot sun is different from bright light...
I thought the external light sensor was mostly for automatic brights. A feature that was also disabled in AP2 when I got my car.
At the time my understanding was that both of these issues would be solved using cameras. Eventually got an update that turned the automatic brights feature on and now the automatic wipers, I assume both using the cameras to accomplish the tasks.
Seems to me that the screen brightness would be controlled by a light sensor inside the car similar to the sensors that are on televisions.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I thought the external light sensor was mostly for automatic brights. A feature that was also disabled in AP2 when I got my car.
At the time my understanding was that both of these issues would be solved using cameras. Eventually got an update that turned the automatic brights feature on and now the automatic wipers, I assume both using the cameras to accomplish the tasks.
Seems to me that the screen brightness would be controlled by a light sensor inside the car similar to the sensors that are on televisions.

Good fix. Headlights exactly, I was lazy and not thinking. :) The internal lightness sensor is often internal, though as I understand it, cars can certainly make use of both if they want to be smart with their lighting (e.g. internal day/night mode).

Anyway, the point was that the solar/sun sensor serves a different purpose than a brightness sensor.

Wow!!!!!!!!
Just tested Auto Lane Change in 2017.50.3
Definitely smoother. In fact perfect!
Neither too aggressive or too hesitant. Just right!
Your test seemed perfect. I was testing 17.50.2 over the weekend and it appeared to work better going to the right (like your test) then going to the left. Any chance you tested going both left and right auto lane changes?

I believe that someone reported that AT&T was doing the throttling and Tesla was aware of it.
Nobody really knows whats going on. I don't think that anybody really thinks that ATT is the culprit here though.There's a separate thread on that. I was just hoping this update would fix it. :(
Not to try and hi jack the thread but does EVERYBODY have problems with LTE? The other thread is hardly unbiased given the title so I figured it's better to ask here.You can check your speed by bringing up fast.com in your browser. I should be 1+Mbps. Throttling is making it 150Kbps or so.

Nobody really knows whats going on. I don't think that anybody really thinks that ATT is the culprit here though.There's a separate thread on that. I was just hoping this update would fix it. :(
Not to try and hi jack the thread but does EVERYBODY have problems with LTE? The other thread is hardly unbiased given the title so I figured it's better to ask here.You can check your speed by bringing up fast.com in your browser. I should be 1+Mbps. Throttling is making it 150Kbps or so.
I have no problems with LTE.

I'm still on 2017.50.2, but this morning I saw a new behavior on my S100D AP2:

Taking the offramp from CA-237 to CA-85 (which is a sharp cloverleaf turn). Usually (on 2017.48 and below), the display is completely blank (e.g. no lines detected), but today, I saw the display show lane lines right next to the car with nothing ahead (e.g. it just showed the car itself "centered" and the lane lines don't extend forward from the car at all).

I briefly flipped on Autopilot and the car slowed to around 30mph and seemed to be navigating the cloverleaf, albeit a bit shaky. I chickened out and took over, especially given the reports of .50.2 not being super great. But this is definitely behavior I've never seen before.

SucreTease said: It reported an update failure on the app and/or the display. But when I checked the vehicle information (displayed by pressing the Tesla symbol), it showed the later version.
Mine reported the update failure, but shows the new version too. However, the dash display said call Tesla for the update, which I did and they sent it off to diagnostics who should be calling me back. I’ve read elsewhere that when this happens the AP might be disabled until resolved.
I'm pretty sure I read that VeryGreen indicated that the update process is a two part process and the UI/UserInterface my get updated (displaying version) while it was the AP/AutoPilot related piece that failed. Hence display shows new version but AP doesn't work until the update gets reapplied (and may come with a DIC/DriverInfoConsole msg that says 'contact tesla...'. I had this happen to my X during my purchase paper signing. An update when I got home failed but then another came late that evening and worked.