Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm short Tesla. The Model S and the Roadster are amazing cars. Elon Musk is a genius. So, please don't hate me, educate me as to why I should cover.

My feeling is that Tesla needs a lot of things to go right for them. Some of those things are probable (not 100%) - the Model 3 will likely be an excellent vehicle; Elon Musk won't overdose on Ambien, a Model 3 won't spontaneously combust at a car show. Some of those things are unlikely (probability <50%) - Tesla will be able to ramp up to mass production without suffering embarrassing quality problems. Some of them are unlikely (<20% probability) - Americans will suddenly wake up to the vast superiority of electrical cars; Model 3 gross margins will be similar to Model S margins. And some of those things have a near zero chance of happening - the rest of the car industry will sit on their hands watching Tesla steal their business away from them; Tesla will able to raise $10 billion in capital without significantly diluting current shareholders.

Even if everything goes right for Tesla: Car & Driver declares the Model 3 the best car ever built, GM recalls all the Bolts and scraps them, Google and Intel (and every other car company) decide that self-driving cars is just to hard a nut to crack and abandon the effort, Warren Buffett invests $10 billion in Tesla at $400 a share, Tesla is still going to be a car company. The car business is incredibly cut-throat with low margins and high capital investment requirements. That's why Toyota sells for 66% of revenue and Ford sells for 30%. So if the Model 3 is a huge success and Tesla is selling a million of them a year (and 100,000 Model S/Xs) and has revenue on the order of $55 billion (throw in another $5 billion for the PV line, another low margin business) and it keeps its luxury car brand margins, that doesn't support the current market capitalization. In the best world ever, selling for 50% of revenue, Tesla might be worth $180 a share (that's just a coincidence that it's the same as the Goldman Sachs number). I see very little chance that everything goes right for Tesla. I see a much easier pathway to bankruptcy and a likely path toward significant dilution and sub $100 share prices.

So, before hitting that dislike button, please tell me why I'm wrong. Lay out the case for Tesla getting to Apple like valuation - which would make it 5x more valuable than Toyota and more valuable than the entire auto industry in total (not including parts manufacturers). Discuss the probabilities I laid out above, provide your own. Please, if I'm wrong, I want to cover before I lose any money.
You have failed to factor in growth rate. The other car companies are growing <10% per year in what has been seen as a good automotive market. Tesla has been growing 50%+ per year and could grow revenues 100%+ in 2018. Mr. Market pays for growth.

No I don't. But occam's razor applies. If it were any way in even remotely the shape they demoed it, Elon would have already pushed for some sort of release.
I disagree. They lost Mobileye, they needed to duplicate its functionality -- which they have mostly done. In addition, they will be developing the much larger and all encompassing AI-model that is FSD. It suspect it is very hard to 'restrict/limit' a FSD-model to (only) EAP -- AI-models don't work that way.

I do, it's Elon who clearly doesn't.
Well EM gave us his best estimate, so you need to triple it, or use pi ....

A way to explain this is to use Pi instead (3.14159).
Very good thought! -- there must be some proof that that is the right value to use, something to do with circular reasoning?

I think you miss the point, not everyone is the groups you mentioned. Not everyone shares the same beliefs or values. And Tesla wants to reach the other 7 billion people that are not in those groups as a ways to a means. Instead of just trying to inspire people to save the world, they can also inspire them by selling them a S3XY vehicle or a fancy roof that makes there home look better. It's a great way to expand the market share.

I understand and agree with your point. My problem was with the term climate alarmists. This term was invented by the fossil fuel industry to try and make it seem like climate change is not a very clear and present danger.

Imagine if scientists were predicting an asteroid colliding with the Earth in 6 months. Would the proper course of action be calling them asteroid alarmists, or should we just get Bruce Willis on the phone as soon as possible?

I understand and agree with your point. My problem was with the term climate alarmists. This term was invented by the fossil fuel industry to try and make it seem like climate change is not a very clear and present danger.

Imagine if scientists were predicting an asteroid colliding with the Earth in 6 months. Would the proper course of action be calling them asteroid alarmists, or should we just get Bruce Willis on the phone as soon as possible?

Then I think you should find the busiest street corner and yell at people as they drive by, because not everyone agrees with you.

Reducing the tunnel diameter by half means that you are only required to remove one fourth of the material.

I partially agree with you to the extent that it don't think it makes sense to transport cars with people via hyper loop from NYC to DC.

OTOH you just made the case that hyperpod cars, which could be connected as demand requires would make a feasible system. I believe that a few weeks ago that you were stating that that was absurd?
I think my point was that Musk is, step by step, reinventing something which already exists, due to a failure of research. This is a rather slow and roundabout way of designing a train, and is likely to end up worse than the trains which already exist. (That is, after all, what happened with BART, when a bunch of brilliant aerospace engineers thought they could design a train by ignoring the whole history of railroad engineering. Turns out they couldn't; it's worse and more expensive than standard trains.)

At best, if he finally starts doing his research, he will match the status quo several years from now. *After* that he might start making some progress.

When Musk decided to build rockets, he did *not* start by completely ignoring the entire history of rocket research. He started by researching it intensively.

When Musk decided to build electric cars, he did *not* start by completely ignoring the entire history of electricity and of cars. He started by knowing it backwards and forwards.

He clearly did not do his research this time. At least not yet. The most optimistic assessment of Hyperloop at this time is to call it vaporware. The most pessimistic assessment is that it'll end up like BART, a more expensive and less efficient alternative to something which already exists.

Perhaps this is simply the problem with being stretched too thin. If Musk had the time to sit down for a week and learn the basics of urban planning, transportation economics, railroad engineering, and civil construction -- and I'm pretty sure he could learn all four in a single week, since he's a fast learner -- maybe he'd be coming up with more sensible ideas. But he's clearly too busy to actually do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: aubreymcfato
When Musk decided to build electric cars, he did *not* start by completely ignoring the entire history of electricity and of cars. He started by knowing it backwards and forwards.

He clearly did not do his research this time. At least not yet. .

LA traffic. He sees this as the only alternative. He is a decent goal setter.

Very good thought! -- there must be some proof that that is the right value to use, something to do with circular reasoning?

If you are on the edge of a circle with a radius of 1, let's say you look toward the center (where your goal is).

A limited understanding of distance (magnitude of the effort) will cause you to be off by a factor of two. What looks like it is one radius away is actually one diameter away - on the other edge of the circle, not in the center as it looked.

As you proceed, you discover that the direction is wrong, too. So you make corrections. When starting, you don't know that much, so you are moving perpendicular to the objective. As you work toward the goal, you correct direction. The direction gets better and better the closer you get.

When you reach the destination you discover the path looks like you have walked a half circle, or a distance of Pi.
The extra distance over the original estimate of 1 has two parts: misjudging the magnitude turns the r to a d. (A factor of two). Misjudging direction bellows out the path to push the misestimate to a factor of Pi.

There is an attribution... Likely someone in the national lab community (my father told me this story when I was growing up). I'll see if I can get it for you.

I disagree. They lost Mobileye, they needed to duplicate its functionality -- which they have mostly done. In addition, they will be developing the much larger and all encompassing AI-model that is FSD. It suspect it is very hard to 'restrict/limit' a FSD-model to (only) EAP -- AI-models don't work that way.

So basically you are saying the same thing as me : they focused on EAP and they simply have nothing that's even remotely releasable for FSD. Not sure why you disagreed earlier on that point.

Well EM gave us his best estimate, so you need to triple it, or use pi ....

So when do you think the SF->NY trip will happen?

Loading time is irrelevant. You can take as long as you like, as long as you don't do the loading in the high speed part. The relevant metric is the time time it takes to insert a loaded pod in the high speed part safely. E.g. the Chunnel (the tunnel from France to the UK) takes like half an hour to load a train with cars (I forgot how long, it's too long ago that I went through the Chunnel), and probably only needs a minute or so to insert itself into high speed track/tunnel (shared by Eurostar high speed passenger trains, trains carrying cars, and trains carrying trucks).

If your loading time is significant you also need a significant number of parallel loading stations with corresponding space requirements. Which basically rules out mid-town locations. But getting out of midtown is basically the problematic part. Also, how close can these pods realistically run without running into all kind of safety issues on merge? 5 seconds? 10 seconds? Means we are looking a at a throughput of at best 500 cars/hour for a tunnel. I-95 is doing up to 20 times that many at peak hours.

• Helpful
Reactions: 22522
Also, how close can these pods realistically run without running into all kind of safety issues on merge? 5 seconds? 10 seconds? Means we are looking a at a throughput of at best 500 cars/hour for a tunnel. I-95 is doing up to 20 times that many at peak hours.

Merging has to be smarter than on highways.

Here is one way:
  1. Run a parallel path long enough for merge to happen at full speed
  2. Continue the parallel path long enough for 2 attempts
  3. Have enough run out or loop back to decelerate and try again
I see some sort of aggregation into platoons happening to reduce the buffer fraction.

If your loading time is significant you also need a significant number of parallel loading stations with corresponding space requirements. Which basically rules out mid-town locations.

Save the escalator/elevator/conveyer, everything else is underground.

The picture is a giant underground laundromat. Full of front loading washers. Built in, so all you see is the 14 ft diameter clear lexan/polycarbonate doors, with labels (digital signage) above each one indicating destination and arrival time.

Instead of the concave lexan door of a front loading washer, the glass in these doors is convex. And double layer. The outer door is hinged to the wall and supports the vacuum as, and after, the pod leaves. The inner glass/polycarbonate door is hinged to the pod itself. That door is the end of the pod or nose cone. It supports positive pressure inside the pod.

One thing that will be the same as on the washer is the door seal. When the pod arrives, it pokes through the seal far enough for the door to hinge open on the laundromat side of the wall. This makes the seal wipe in a way that atmospheric pressure will help it seal against the outside of the pod. Works a lot like a heart valve. The seal wants to act on the constant crossection of the pod - else it artificially limits cargo size.

The outer door could likely bulge outwards 4 or 6 feet. (2 meters) to accommodate the aerodynamic nose cone of the pod.

Does this giant underground laundromat picture help?

Reactions: everman
Live blog: German automaker stocks fall sharply on collusion accusations

"
The European Commission could be investigating collusion among Germany's top automakers following a report in Der Spiegel that BMW, Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche may have worked together to fix the prices and designs of diesel emissions treatment systems.

Shares in the automakers are falling to multi-month lows, following on from Friday's losses."

f0c8f6a8-c15c-4846-a11c-7527665f451a.jpg

Live blog: German automaker stocks fall sharply on collusion accusations

"
The European Commission could be investigating collusion among Germany's top automakers following a report in Der Spiegel that BMW, Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche may have worked together to fix the prices and designs of diesel emissions treatment systems.

Shares in the automakers are falling to multi-month lows, following on from Friday's losses."

f0c8f6a8-c15c-4846-a11c-7527665f451a.jpg
"Collusion" is quickly shaping up to become the word of the year...

Status
Not open for further replies.