Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
US pickup truck buyers demanding more luxury

Heated and cooled seats. Backup cameras. Panoramic glass roofs. Not exactly what springs to mind when you think of a pickup. But that's what American truck buyers increasingly want, spending an average of $46,844 on a pickup, according to Kelley Blue Book.

Another indication that Tesla doesn't need to go down to the $26k work truck special in order to have a successful pickup line.

US pickup truck buyers demanding more luxury

Heated and cooled seats. Backup cameras. Panoramic glass roofs. Not exactly what springs to mind when you think of a pickup. But that's what American truck buyers increasingly want, spending an average of $46,844 on a pickup, according to Kelley Blue Book.

Another indication that Tesla doesn't need to go down to the $26k work truck special in order to have a successful pickup line.

A semi (being funny) relative recently told me a pickup truck he was looking into was 100K, and that's just a pickup. You know like pile dirt into, or a load to the dump, or hauling a load from Lowe's.. A pickup! The first new one I bought in 2004 cost 40K, the second new one I bought, downgraded, in 2011 was 39K and that one had Bluetooth :cool: Oh, and the second one did not have leather.

• Informative
Reactions: TMSE
At least for Model S/X they make a bunch of panels and then swap out the stamp to make a bunch of different panels. I think the swapping out takes some time, so the press will not be making panels 24/7.

Are we assuming just one press here? Shared between S.E.X ;)

I thought the hydraulic press is the one that is just one, that came during initial purchase of NUMMI plant (or slightly thereafter)... but this Stamping machine shown on instagram video doesn't seem that big ??

• Informative
Reactions: Intl Professor
Are we assuming just one press here? Shared between S.E.X ;)

I thought the hydraulic press is the one that is just one, that came during initial purchase of NUMMI plant (or slightly thereafter)... but this Stamping machine shown on instagram video doesn't seem that big ??

From the information we've heard, I think there is the old one for S/X and a new one for the 3.

A semi (being funny) relative recently told me a pickup truck he was looking into was 100K, and that's just a pickup. You know like pile dirt into, or a load to the dump, or hauling a load from Lowe's.. A pickup! The first new one I bought in 2004 cost 40K, the second new one I bought, downgraded, in 2011 was 39K and that one had Bluetooth :cool: Oh, and the second one did not have leather.
So where do people buy their trucks when they actually intend on doing work with them? Lol

Pickup trucks have a huge price range. A very basic F150 work truck could be had for $15k. And of course they go all the way up to luxo Texas Cadillac with extra super cabs and all the amenities. Tesla will attack this from the top down, where the margins are. They will never make a competitor to the $15k work truck, they will let someone else take those razor thin margins.

So where do people buy their trucks when they actually intend on doing work with them? Lol

The cab is for comfort:p The 6' bed is for the work, like when I haul cement and or bricks, or lumber. Without a truck now my wife has canned me into smaller loads in or MX. But as things settle in I will buy a trailer or, or I will buy my Tesla Truck ~ LOL:D

Just a quick update, as leaked yesterday, there is a new weight component to the purchase fee added to electric cars starting at 2000kg and increasing above 2250kg. They've also removed the very good business cost write off for EVs as well. Though there is quite a bit pushback from the Christian democrats, the liberal party, environmental groups, our AAA (NAF), and of course the EV organisation. So we'll see if it stays in the voted in budget in some weeks.

Cobos

Status
Not open for further replies.