Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like in 2013, the rise is a slow incremental daily increase coupled with unforeseeable onslaught of good news: Elon having Trump's ear, M3 tooling, Dubai, GF, Tesla energy, etc. The onslaught is demoralizing "older shorts" who are forced to cover, while baiting "newer shorts" to pile in, causing upward momentum without any end in sight. Shorts need a black swan event like the f*re in 2014 to stop this kind of momentum.

While a violent squeeze of $20 plus dollars may send signals of a quick reverse, these daily slow "few dollar gains" are exasperating shorts as longs sense it could go higher. If the upward movement was more Violent in nature, then longs would be more inclined to sell. But if these small increases continue daily, shorts are in trouble.

If Elon really wanted to send a tsunami, a tweet about M3 reveal part 3 could do the job. Anyone know when part 3 is predicted to occur?

The running speculation is end of March, exactly 1 year after its initial reveal.

Could Elon announce a date for it during the 4Q16 ER, though?

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and madodel
The running speculation is end of March, exactly 1 year after its initial reveal.

Could Elon announce a date for it during the 4Q16 ER, though?

If it's a good ER, the rise will likely continue, he could then save the ammo of the release a couple weeks after ER to drag it out.

If M3 turns out to be on time, how many longs here will hold or buy more?

If it's a good ER, the rise will likely continue, he could then save the ammo of the release a couple weeks after ER to drag it out.

If M3 turns out to be on time, how many longs here will hold or buy more?

somewhat OT, when looking up Ferrari stats yesterday, I saw this photo

Ferrari - Wikipedia

front end look familiar?

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: KLC13 and madodel
May be, but internally Tesla (Motors) will do what is needed to make the M3 in a timely fashion, and we won't know it d/t testing etc. While the car itself is compelling, the M3 is really about the machine that makes it , and not the car per se.
I agree with that, and that might the main schedule risk as well (Elon said the press), but in the big picture that's excellent news, because initially he was most worried about all of the parts suppliers being on time.

I believe that a substantial portion of the last few days of the bump is the obviously inaccurate Reuter's article stating that Tesla is going to be building M3's to test the production line. I think that is impossible. But it is possible and not unlikely that they will start building cars using parts from suppliers which, assuming that means all of the suppliers are on time or early, is great news.

@SBenson your question about is Tesla's current price too high isn't possible to answer without a time frame. If you mean by mid 2018, or by 2022 the current price is definitely not too high!

Edit Addition:
The reason I say definitely not by 2018 is that I believe that a lot of the bump was caused by the rumor about M3 production. How much higher will it go when the actual production starts? The only way you should even in your wildest dreams consider that the current SP is too high is if you don't believe that the M3 will ever go into production. The absolute worst case is (which I personally think is impossible) is that the M3 is as slow to get into production as the MX.

If you want to know if it's too high on a shorter time frame then nobody on this forum can answer that question.

Last edited:
My own fantasy is that the UAE will buy a Gigafactory.

I'm really curious, why people are so obsessed with multiple Gigafactories. What does "buy a Gigafactory" even mean? Panasonic won't be happy setting up equipment at so many places while they still need to sell 700 million of the 18650 cells to Tesla under the 2013 purchase contract.

Can you please explain the benefits of setting up another GF in the middle of a desert, while the largest mines and markets for Tesla's cars are all quite far away from there? Tesla may get some incentives to build a GF there, UAE encourages foreign direct investment. But how is it good for the shareholders? Is it really better to build a GF there vs. some other place?

Most of the electricity generated from solar can be consumed right away, or stored in electric cars by demand shifting. There is no reason to first store everything into batteries, then extract that energy back. EVs are a nice grid stabilizing agents if they can charge when supply is excess. V2G can even supply power if needed.

It is no wonder that storage is a tiny sliver of the total solar generation market. For example, India now has 50 GW solar production, but is only considering a 10 MWh pilot storage project in New Delhi. Battery storage is still expensive and often unnecessary.

Last edited:
I just checked Ford's monthly sales and cars make up just 24% of unit sales. The other 76% are truck and SUV. So if the latter are in this month only 70% of profit, that would suggest cars are more profitable per unit. This could just be monthly noise. Trucks are 42% of sales, but Ford has a 113 day supply compared with a 103 day supply for all vehicles. I wonder if Ford could be walking into a demand problem with trucks.

70% profit is derived from full sized trucks and full sized truck based SUV.

This does not include crossovers like Explorer, Escape,Edge and Flex. Or Lincoln MKC,MKK or MKT. These are based on front wheel drive car platforms and are the segment with highest sales growth. Most of the utility of a truck based SUV but drives like a car and gets the fuel economy closer to a car than a truck.

on the possibilities of this relationship... listen to the very first moments of the talk. the Sheikh introduces Elon by grouping him with Newton, Henry Ford, the Wright brothers and Einstein (there was another before Newton I couldn't quite identify).
The tape I listened to was full of wind noise, but what I heard was "{in this region} ____X______" who invented algebra; globally: Newton...", etc.
So I'm pretty sure the word that Steve and Int'l Prof were trying to make into that Samarkand astronomer, or Galileo, etc., was, in fact, "globally".

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3
Fleet sale with low margins? No reason for anyone to buy at these levels?.................I actually do appreciate the balance you bring to the board, mmd, but yesterday was a Yuuuuuuge Day in many, many ways. Elon gave a presentation - and perhaps more importantly a significant presence - to a very wealthy and forward thinking GLOBAL audience in one of the richest communities in the world. It isn't much of a stretch to imagine his attendance resulted in more than the sale of 200 cars...........could this audience afford to buy at these levels as a long term investment? Would they buy at these levels if they were also making capital investment in the company as well? Did they see a great synergy in the direction of Tesla with the direction of their energy and investment transition?

I feel very strongly that this meeting represent two very significant tipping points..................one where the Middle East wealth is now very openly discussing the end of the oil era by 2030 and how they must find more sustainable and environmentally friendly investments - and today's announcement of a very specific order for a large fleet of fully self-driving Tesla's to be used as taxis -

The first tipping point will send a shockwave through the investment community with news that even those who have made the largest fortunes in the world on fossil fuel are now investing in renewables with great enthusiasm. I have totally agreed with the posts on this board regarding the potential for a 'quiet' exit strategy by Big Money from fossil fuels with the hopes of leaving others holding the bag. But yesterday the trumpets sounded and this exit can no longer be silent. Huge corrections for fossil fuel investments could be just around the corner........and no longer support the slow-and-smooth pull out as was once the goal.

The second tipping point is a point that many on this board have identified since Adam Jonas pressed Elon to answer the question regarding self driving taxi fleets. Yesterday's order for 200 vehicles was a very specific order for exactly this. This is the first order of large scale for a self-driving fleet. Kudos to Elon and kudos to Adam for recognizing the potential in this............and kudos to the UAE for being insightful enough to step out on the end of the diving board and be the first to jump. Perhaps the surprise was that the first large order didn't come from a US company/investor? To anyone stuck in that rut - get over it. When I travel overseas now, particularly to Asia, I see the US in the rear view mirror on many things. Those that want to invest with the mindset that the US is still holding the steering wheel will be pretty far back in line at the trough in the coming years IMHO.

Except...it IS an American company leading the way! And Elon is behind the wheel. :)

Haque v. Tesla Motors, Inc., DEFAX Case No. D67623 (Del.Ch. Nov. 23, 2016), Slights, V.C. (34 pages).

This just popped up in my Google news feed for TSLA.

Looks like one of the SCTY merger lawsuits? Decided in TSLA's favour from the sound of it.
I took a skim. This isn't a SCTY lawsuit, it's the ridiculous one where the Spiegel-like creature recites a bunch of bear talking points and demands to inspect Tesla's corporate records because they claim Tesla was fabricating demand and lied in guidance and whatnot.

The court found fully in Tesla's favor, just as I predicted many months ago. I can't remember which member(s) I went back and forth on re: this case as I tried to convince them it was frivolous junk not worth giving a second thought to (might be on my list now)...but yea. You were wrong, whoever you were.

EDIT: The readable opinion is here if you want it Haque v. Tesla Motors, Inc.

They might not have to build those Ampera-E's after all. o_O

Background to this, Opel which is considered adding losses to GM result every year is potentially bought out by Nissan/Renault alliance. Which to me looks like divesting production capacity but I don't know anything about how useful it would have been for making Bolts aka Ampera-E's. The thought 'maybe short GM' came to my mind, but then again may be a bad move if their autonomous driving fleet plans pan out.

I'm really curious, why people are so obsessed with multiple Gigafactories. What does "buy a Gigafactory" even mean? Panasonic won't be happy setting up equipment at so many places while they still need to sell 700 million of the 18650 cells to Tesla under the 2013 purchase contract.

Can you please explain the benefits of setting up another GF in the middle of a desert, while the largest mines and markets for Tesla's cars are all quite far away from there? Tesla may get some incentives to build a GF there, UAE encourages foreign direct investment. But how is it good for the shareholders? Is it really better to build a GF there vs. some other place?

Most of the electricity generated from solar can be consumed right away, or stored in electric cars by demand shifting. There is no reason to first store everything into batteries, then extract that energy back. EVs are a nice grid stabilizing agents if they can charge when supply is excess. V2G can even supply power if needed.

It is no wonder that storage is a tiny sliver of the total solar generation market
. For example, India now has 50 GW solar production, but is only considering a 10 MWh pilot storage project in New Delhi. Battery storage is still expensive and often unnecessary.

Man, you're stuck in the present.

Tesla and Panasonic are friends. In bed together. Model S and X still use 18650 for the foreseeable future, and even if they didn't, why do you continue to act like both Tesla and Panasonic wouldn't simply renegotiate that contract. It was intended to give Panasonic some guarantees that they would have a customer for the batteries if they dusted off some of their mothballed 18650 production for Tesla's benefit, because at the time of that agreement, Tesla was only producing around 20k cars per year, and could still easily have failed somewhere along the growth curve. Now, Panasonic would absolutely be on-board with building another GF, as the one they already have can only support 500k-1M cars, and Tesla already has more demand than that factory can meet in the next 3 years.

Currently most solar generation can be consumed right away (and the real effect is that the utilities simply run natural gas peaker plants less than they used to). This is because there is a very low amount of solar penetration into the market. Baseload power plants such as nuclear and coal cannot have their output scaled rapidly to match demand. Natural gas peaker plants are mostly used for this today. Presently, in most places solar is gaining popularity, utilities allow customers to treat the grid like a giant battery, putting power in during the day, and taking it out at night, through some sort of net metering regime. This does not reflect the reality of how the grid works, and in some places where solar has higher penetration these regimes are already starting to fall apart, and will continue to do so as more and more solar generation comes online.

As solar continues to grow, and ultimately becomes the primary energy source (as it is rapidly becoming the cheapest AND most environmentally friendly option), storage becomes imperative. The first part of bringing solar online just offsets fossil fueled generation, but as you reach a certain point, there aren't any more fossil fuel plants to shut down, and you need the batteries to be able to handle the night-time demand for power with excess generation from the daytime.

As of today, the cost of solar generation plus Tesla batteries to store it in over the lifespan of those components is VERY CLOSE to the retail price of electricity charged by the utilities. Its not that far off from breakeven for a household user to pay for 20 years of electricity vs pay for panels and batteries and go off-grid. The price of utility power rises in perpetuity, and the price of solar+storage is still falling. There will come a day very soon where the switch flips and there is an avalanche of demand for solar+storage and a vacuum of demand for utility power.

Status
Not open for further replies.