Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you meant:
This isn't the ridiculous SCTY lawsuit, it's the ridiculous one where...
That's true. I spent many posts trying to explain to people that the SCTY lawsuits are garbage and will go nowhere. They will at worst settle out of court for a small amount to avoid the time and expense of going to court. They call these nuisance settlements.

Reactions: neroden and JRP3
Agree. A slight clarification, making the points stronger. The Model 3's to be produced starting after this month are pre-production models, not prototypes. They will be testing the production line as well as final vehicle tweaking.
That has never been stated by Tesla, and yet it keeps getting repeated here. The Reuters article quoted Tesla as saying they were pausing production for a week to upgrade the paint shop capacity to 500K vehicles in preparation for Model 3 production later this year. It then went on to say:
Separately, sources told Reuters that the luxury electric carmaker planned to begin test-building the Model 3 on Feb. 20....If Tesla succeeds in starting pilot production of the sedan at its factory in Fremont, California on Feb. 20, as people familiar with the matter told Reuters...
Sources, not Tesla were the source for both the date and the type of production.

Fred at Electrek got it right when he picked up the story and commented:
Though Reuters makes it sound like a pre-production of the Model 3, if true, it is more likely the production of a beta prototype fleet.

This makes perfect sense for 2 reasons:
- we have not seen a single beta prototype
- the areas in Fremont identified in factory tours in December for Model 3 BIW and final assembly lines were void of any production equipment 7 weeks ago

The only other possibility is that Tesla has created a pilot Model 3 production line in Reno, Lathrop or Michigan away from prying eyes. That is a long shot; it is much more likely that the "sources" mis-identified the type of M3 production being done this month. But at least we should be seeing some M3 betas on the road soon.

Tesla has strongly implied (maybe even confidentially stated) that the Model 3's that begin assembly in a few weeks will be using production tooling, production line and production paint shop.
Absolutely not true. Tesla has not said anything other than they are pausing production to upgrade the paint shop. All of the other "information" came from "sources".

Things are going well for Tesla. We don't need to set unrealistic expectations here based on what "sources" are saying.

Last edited:
Yep. Many Asian billionaires live in London, not Dubai.

Edit: Explain to me again, why he will be waiting 3-4 years i fhe could buy it much earlier in London?

Edit2: Answering to geneclean55's response below. What you said seems difficult to believe. UK cars drive on different side of the road. I will see the video you mentioned later. Difficult to believe they will be road legal.

Ha, ummm
So every time I took my UK car through the chunnel and drove it in France I was breaking the law along with tens of thousands of other Brits?

Absolutely not true. Tesla has not said anything other than they are pausing production to upgrade the paint shop. All of the other "information" came from "sources".

Things are going well for Tesla. We don't need to set expectations here based on what "sources" are saying.
OK, I concede the point partially. Not completely because I too have a "source" even though my "source" is not high enough to have completely reliable information. I think my information is correct, but I definitely do not know it is correct. Thus, if it seems implausible to anybody I will not argue too forcefully.

Probably not immediately pressing for Tesla since I believe they have previously negotiated price contracts. Anyone know how far out they run?
Price has gone up from $10 to $20/lb. According to this, Tesla battery's cathode is 15% cobalt, so cobalt is maybe on the order of 5% of overall battery pack weight. A 85kwh 18650 battery pack is 1200lb, so 60lb of colbalt, a $10 increase would be $600, not huge but could be significant if you're looking at M3 price range.

OTOH, Powerwall cathode is 33% cobalt, so impact on it will be bigger

BTW looking at the linked article from Nov 1 2016, TSLA was at $190 hehe.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
At the Jan 4 Gigafactory presentation, Messrs Musk & Straubel stated that Tesla already had contracted for all the cobalt that would be needed through the end of 2017.

Also: yes, Co has gone from $10 to $20. However, it is just as correct to state it has gone from $40 to $20. Especially in commodities, it is essential always to look at short-, medium-, and long-term trends.

Also: yes, Co has gone from $10 to $20. However, it is just as correct to state it has gone from $40 to $20. Especially in commodities, it is essential always to look at short-, medium-, and long-term trends.

The last time it was at this level it had nothing to do with automotive lithium ion batteries which were de minimis, but a supply disruption in Congo, so it's not even about looking at a chart. I'm actually quite disappointed that a year after certain derided 'stupid' SeekingAlpha authors were mentioning the challenges with sourcing cobalt globally (they of course overstate the case), the price of cobalt is still price ramping. The market seems to be slow to adjust price to the reality of a BEV revolution which slows the actual improvement of cobalt supply which of course requires substantial cap. ex deployment by people that need high prices. One key lesson here isn't about Tesla, but just how slow the world is to pick up on the BEV future people here take for granted.

At the Jan 4 Gigafactory presentation, Messrs Musk & Straubel stated that Tesla already had contracted for all the cobalt that would be needed through the end of 2017.

I hope they contracted at $10 and not at $40

Man it's a good feeling when your calls sell .05 cents off the HOD!:D Was initially pretty worried about feb 17 250's after the IV hit from missing the ER. Might jump back in tomorrow for a little Ron Baron pump action. (Still have 85% of my holdings, just sold those with the impending expiry)

Edit (I always put in slightly odd orders such as that, 25.95 sale price, had I gone $26, some 26's sold but I might've missed out entirely. My extremely small contribution for the day but hopefully it nets somebody a buy/sell)

Last edited:
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Price has gone up from $10 to $20/lb. According to this, Tesla battery's cathode is 15% cobalt, so cobalt is maybe on the order of 5% of overall battery pack weight. A 85kwh 18650 battery pack is 1200lb, so 60lb of colbalt, a $10 increase would be $600, not huge but could be significant if you're looking at M3 price range.

OTOH, Powerwall cathode is 33% cobalt, so impact on it will be bigger

BTW looking at the linked article from Nov 1 2016, TSLA was at $190 hehe.

Cobalt is 9% of cathode in nca chemistry used in auto. The storage solutions use a manganese chemistry. It will be interesting to see how correlated cobalt and tsla prices become or remain.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.