Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My murky memory has some people with post-shutdown cars quoting no HUD outlets. I saw either here or on YouTube's, most likely from the 100D threads.

I do not know if the following were made post-shutdown, but they were delivered post-shutdown:

Here: Has anyone received a 100D? and 4:06 timepoint in:

If the engineers are clever, I'm not sure you'd notice it from a quick glance around the cabin. Could easily be disguised under some defrost vents or something. Particularly if the current firmware isn't even turning it on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulmo
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...deals-industrial-tesla-at-oaks-logistics.html

Tesla seals the deal on East Bay's largest industrial lease ever
Mar 23, 2017, 7:15pm PDT Updated Mar 24, 2017, 12:39pm PDT

Tesla CEO Elon Musk never thinks small -- self-driving electric cars and solar power are, after all, just his stepping stones to Mars. So in April, when Tesla closed a deal for new warehouse space in Livermore, it didn't go halfway. It leased 1.3 million square feet spread across three buildings at the Oaks Logistics Center.

"It's the largest East Bay industrial deal of all time that I know of. At least in the last 30 years," said Robert Ferraro, senior vice president at CBRE, who along with Blake Rasmussen of CBRE, and Michael Lloyd of Colliers represented the landlord.

The $100 million project, developed by Trammell Crow Co. and partner Bentall Kennedy, is a 72.6-acre industrial Class A development that finished construction in June.

The deal comes as Tesla ramps up its capacity to meet consumer demand for its Model 3. The sedan, which retails for $35,000 and is expected to ship this year, has received hundreds of thousands of pre-orders.

The newly built site is well positioned, a 20-minute drive from Tesla's Fremont factory, and near the Livermore Municipal Airport. The location may have been too good for Tesla to pass up -- it closed the lease on the logistics and warehousing space before construction was completed. Tesla was also reported to have beaten out Amazon for the lease.

"It shows the huge demand for new designed buildings with all the bells and whistles," added Ferraro. "We call it flight to quality and the tenants are willing to pay above typical market rents to have the best quality buildings."

Although parties to the transaction declined to release specific leasing information, reports have suggested that Tesla's lease costs about $6.84 per square foot -- or $8.9 million per year.

The deal points to a tight-squeezed market for large-scale industrial space along the I-880 corridor, with demand for 200,00 square foot space and more outstripping supply.

When driving my Leaf, there are really only two reasons I look at the instrument cluster above the steering wheel.
1. Speedometer
2. Miles of range left

If I set my cruise control to the speed limit for the area, I no longer care what the speed I am traveling is except when I need to modify it. If I had adaptive cruise control that read speed limit signs but did nothing else, I wouldn't even need that. I'm guessing #2 won't be as much of an issue in the Model 3 versus my Leaf, since the range will be 3x what my Leaf currently has now in available range.

I don't think that with the exception of a speedometer you really need anything beyond the center display, and if you have adaptive cruise control that reads the speed limit signs, you're likely to rarely even think about what the speed limit is. But hey, I'm just spitballing.

Fred is weighing in saying that no HUD is confirmed: Tesla Model 3’s user interface is designed with self-driving in mind, Elon Musk says no head-up display

Comment section is pointing out what I have been hitting:
1) The self-driving feedback is really critical. Have to reformat the center display to include that too. (which really reduces the space for anything else)
2) His comments can still be parsed as "no display". Has still not said "no HUD". (Maybe he is just anti-selling the M3, which is good strategy)

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and Yuri_G
Could Tesla incorporate some type of attachment or component on the center display that beams the critical information onto the windshield? Is that angle too severe?

When driving my Leaf, there are really only two reasons I look at the instrument cluster above the steering wheel.
1. Speedometer
2. Miles of range left

If I set my cruise control to the speed limit for the area, I no longer care what the speed I am traveling is except when I need to modify it. If I had adaptive cruise control that read speed limit signs but did nothing else, I wouldn't even need that. I'm guessing #2 won't be as much of an issue in the Model 3 versus my Leaf, since the range will be 3x what my Leaf currently has now in available range.

I don't think that with the exception of a speedometer you really need anything beyond the center display, and if you have adaptive cruise control that reads the speed limit signs, you're likely to rarely even think about what the speed limit is. But hey, I'm just spitballing.

Those of you who own AP-equipped S's and X's know.

When operating your car on AP, how much attention are you paying to the binnacle display seeing what the car sees (and therefore inferring what you expect its going to do)? What if that display was on the center display instead of the binnacle one? How safe do you think operating it would be? I know from my test drive, that I wouldn't be comfortable running AP if I couldn't see the visualization of what the car is thinking, and I think putting that on a center display would make monitoring it very difficult.
I've driven over 12k miles, at least 80% on AP1 within the last 5-6 months. When AP is active, i'm much more engaged with scanning the highway, observing other drivers. In a weird sort of way, it improves my driving, as i can see a bit ahead and anticipate situations, which i wouldn't when driving myself and gripping following the car in front in heavy stop and go highway traffic.

I really hope there will be a HUD after all. Must say I´ve been starting to take it as a given. Not a friend of non-integrated center display.

I think there is a pretty good chance it is all anti-selling to keep S&X going, which does make sense as a strategy. Many things he tweeted today point that way. As someone said above, Elon did not explicitely say there will be no HUD.

But if it turns out to keep only the center display as in the alphas and the small trunk opening (which Elon promised to make larger...) - I must admit I am not so sure about my reservation any more :(.

I really hope there will be a HUD after all. Must say I´ve been starting to take it as a given. Not a friend of non-integrated center display.

I think there is a pretty good chance it is all anti-selling to keep S&X going, which does make sense as a strategy. Many things he tweeted today point that way. As someone said above, Elon did not explicitely say there will be no HUD.

But if it turns out to keep only the center display as in the alphas and the small trunk opening (which Elon promised to make larger...) - I must admit I am not so sure about my reservation any more :(.

Take it from me, not only was I disappointed in not having a center console I was outrageously upset. I even went on the Tesla Website to declare that they would lose my business to BMW. Today, I own the MS, and guess what? I love the concept of not having a center console and the open space, it feels much more minimal and tranquil. It makes my driving experience much more relaxing without having all the extra stuff laying around. Give it some time, it'll warm up to you. This was what other owners have told me, turns out, they were dead on accurate.

I've seen a fair bit of concern about this here, Electrek, Reddit and elsewhere today.

My thoughts are that neither reservation holders nor shareholders should worry about it... yet. Best to see how the final interface actually ships and works first.

I am reminded of another company, Apple, that deleted features people had previously deemed necessary: floppy drives, mouse/trackpad buttons, optical drives, physical keypads, and much more. The headphone jack controversy really blew up prior to the iPhone 7 launch, but things turned out ok.

I just posted this at Electrek, but thought I'd add this to the discussion here too:

So I am just going to put this out there, although I know it is in vain. In a way, Tesla can only blame themselves as with too much secrecy, fan rumors start and if they don't shoot them down in time, these fantasies will become baseline expectations. So when the company releases the product without these, people are disappointed and the company is like: "wait, what? when did we ever say this will have a HUD?" I have seen this with other tech companies and product launches too.

This whole thing started when someone speculated based on Elon's "spaceship" comments, that there may be a HUD involved. Fact is, the Tesla fan community (myself included) kind of built up this expectation for a HUD, but the company never said anything about that. They always showed a single screen in the middle and at least 300k people who reserved after the reveal did so knowing that.

Also, there have been many cars in the past (like my grandma's Yaris, which I have driven quite a bit), probably some currently as well, that only have a single instrument cluster in the center. The question will be, how well the screen is placed for the key data, like speed, to be easily readable by the driver and how the final version of the UI looks? (The version shown during the reveal seemed a little spartan and cluttered at the same time, but that was a year ago).

Let's reserve final judgement until the production design is revealed / test drives.

I am reminded of another company, Apple, that deleted features people had previously deemed necessary: floppy drives, mouse/trackpad buttons, optical drives, physical keypads, and much more. The headphone jack controversy really blew up prior to the iPhone 7 launch, but things turned out ok.
Right... but don't forget this is how Apple's marketing works:
4786313.jpg

I know they like to compare to us to Apple fans, but I never subscribed to that.

I know they like to compare to us to Apple fans, but I never subscribed to that.

I may get pilloried for this, but I actually see a lot in common between Apple and Tesla fans. True zealotry is actually maybe only a small % of all fans, but there is a shared faith in the vision of the founder(s) of each company. Faith being the important word. 5 years ago most people said I was 100% crazy for betting on Elon Musk. There is far less objection today, but a substantial # of people I know are still convinced that Tesla will never amount to much. I heard much the same about Apple in the late 90's and early 2000's.

All of this is a bet on a fellow with a vision, outsized ambition, and tendency to make bold promises using exaggeration. I fully admit that it is a bet on my part, because people like Musk only show up once in a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.