Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Preview Of Tesla's Q1 Deliveries - Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

utter %^&^%$#* drivel
a chart with "Produced but not sold Tesla vehicles. the 5 bars on the right side add to 40,000 vehicles PBNS
I wonder if VIN counting, especially for MX, is becoming less robust as the Chinese market increases (see the article up thread). I assume the seeking alpha contributors are using the delivery threads and trackers to count VINS? I see very few contributors from China to those.

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I edited out so much of your post in my quote, mostly because the majority of it isn't even worth addressing.
"Still makes loss" you say, but that's not a loss per car made, that's a loss for the whole operation due to.....
capital expenditure.
Which you're talking about with your term "cash burn."
Cash burn is when you have a bunch of millennials sitting around in a new IT vaporware company sucking down $150-300k salaries supposedly working on some vaporware product. Cash burn is what companies like Instagram and Twitter did before being acquired.

Cash burn is not when you are spending it on construction, acquisition of production equipment and other fixed assets. For how you seem to put it, you could equate it with a real estate developer buying land to build on and then sell as "cash burn" when really it's a change in asset type from liquid asset to a fixed asset. There is still a risk in that conversion, but it's not like Musk is having this money fly out the door in consumables or personnel expenses, the majority of these expenditures are in the acquisition of fixed assets.

Amazon's "cash burn" as you would have put it turned them into a retail behemoth that rivals Wal-Mart in scope in many ways. Tesla's "cash burn" is going to do similarly in rapid and massive expansion. Your term would have been appropriate prior to the release of the Model S, but at this point, using that phrase is a bit ridiculous.

My friend, you are a true representation of majority of Tesla bulls :) I suggest, you read the 'Accounting 000' lesson and go through the Q4 2016 Tesla quarterly report, just for fun if nothing else. Cash burn & capex have nothing to do with 'losses'. Interest expense, depreciation, sure. Cash burn or burn rate has also nothing to do with what it is used for. The value of the investments could be pennies on the dollar if there is no use of those assets at time of sale.
Tesla May Need to Raise More Money Soon
(Title, by Dana Hull, is actually "
Tesla Is Burning Through Cash". )
Tesla cahs flow Q4 2016.png

I will take the definition of the investment sites any day over the definitions thrown at us here.
Cash Burn - Definition of Cash Burn - QFINANCE
cash burn
Finance
rate at which firm's capital is used the rate at which a new business spends its initial capital before it becomes profitable or needs additional funding, used by investors as a measure of a company's ability to survive, or the rate at which a mature business spends its accumulated cash and liquid securities.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
Please stop with all this FUD :) You will start getting lots of dislikes here. There are plenty of orders in line before yours to be filled first.
But I'd say, you will be getting your car pretty quickly, considering:
a) you could be located anywhere on 'Mother Earth'
b) ordered on Feb 22.
c) Tesla acknowledged a factory shutdown for a week/2 weeks around Feb 18th.

OMG mms, really the whole world has not stopped to ensure I get the very last Tesla delivered Friday for 1Q17? Holy crap, my mom forgot to tell me.

Yes, I am aware of the shutdown, I may be a slow reader but I have read the threads and followed Tesla news. And I remember someone here reiterating that deliveries on the west coast would be easier targets. Therefore my car arrived in Seattle by Tuesday. The delivery team was hoping to ship it over the weekend, but dropped back to punt this morning and are driving the car to our driveway/garage tomorrow afternoon ~ hence driving the extra fifty miles. My son-in-law promised not to put more than 2K miles on it before we get home. Our daughter says 5,000 miles since it is self driving.

Remember mmd, you do not have to read what I write. If it hurts your eyes, look away. Also, know that I am not a confederate officer, now or ever.

Now to the market place. I think the numbers will be good this quarter, supporting Elon's statement that orders are solid and still strong if not growing. I firmly believe non-confederates like myself will drive the electric train by moving away from fossil fuels and out of defiance. With the advent of M3 and other EVs insurance companies will get off their butt or be run over. My policy adjuster could not get over the fact that my car would not have a stick shift available

Self driving cars will become a necessity for old folks as meals on wheels are eliminated. There I go again driving miss daisy.

I expect the annual guidance to be full of good things. My contractor and I are already talking about solar roofs. If that kicks off as dreamed about, lookout self sufficiency and no more fossil fuels. Oh yeah, who got my M3 reservation? Please tease mmd ~ he likes a good laugh.

I also believe Tesla is maturing.

I am wondering which ICE car maker will fold first? I suggest looking at how corrupt the top senior management is by comparison to the others as a starter. Look at safety violations, just saw a really good article on that somewhere here.

Buyers, at no other time in recent history must be knowledgable about what they are buying, because there is no longer truth in advertising. Seek the truth, seek the truth or get burned to a crispy critter.

Status
Not open for further replies.