Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco must adhere to market markups.

To low they make now money.

To high they lose customers.

Grocery stores have a 2% margin.

Gasoline stations 1% on gas.

Kirkland clothes are a commodity. No Dolce and Gabbana markups much less Ralph Lauren.

Costco's markups are half of Walmart. It's designed to break even. Profit comes from memberships. They are different business strategies, that's the point I'm making. Tesla can employ a break even operating strategy for superchargers like Costco because of an upfront access fee embedded in the cost of the car with no need to sell high margin items at a Supercharger to make up the difference.
Costco mark up is 15% on all things sold that's their business strategy from day one. I thought this is a pretty common knowledge.

Is there only one cell production line at Gigafactory 1? How will it achieve the said "Economies of scale" with just 1 line?
For comparison, Panasonic had 4 lines at some factories in Osaka, and at least 2 lines just for Tesla's cells. Interesting, no more capacity increase news since 2013. Two lines at Suminoe seems capable to produce 600 million cells a year.
Panasonic to increase its battery capacity
2. It will add a line at its Sominoe plant in Osaka, which makes cylindrical lithium ion batteries for Tesla Motors Inc. alongside batteries for personal computers.

Back in March 2010, when the Suminoe plant started mass production, initial capacity was 10 million cells a month. I'm guessing, that's the initial rate of "mass production" in GF also, unless someone has better estimate or any word from the horse's mouth :)
Panasonic's New Lithium-Ion Battery Plant to Start Mass Production Next Month | Headquarters News | Panasonic Newsroom Global
The Suminoe Factory began manufacturing electrodes last October, and will now begin mass production of battery cells this April starting with an initial capacity of 10 million units per month during the first year of operations. Panasonic plans to gradually increase the production capacity up to 25 million per month (300 million units per year) during the first phase, taking into consideration market conditions.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: doctoxics
I'm biased because I live in the Land Of Obscure Corner Cases, featuring wonderful things like one-lane bridges, blind corners, parking lots made of grass, and so on. I think it'll take 10 years + out *here*.

(The "is the other guy going?" problem at a 4-way stop or a 1-lane bridge seems particularly hard. Frankly most humans are quite bad at it.)

I'm also a bit skeptical because in "shadow mode" the cars are training themselves based on average human driver behavior. Which sucks. I think it's going to be necessary to feed in some data for corner cases based on *expert* human driver behavior before we get good results, and that hasn't been done yet.

Let's not forget much of the old world! While I love Autopilot and have high hopes for EAP and FSD, these are realistically designed for the larger roads of the new world. When you get into some of the old old cities and towns (Europe/Asia) true craziness will ensue. Still remember driving in Cadiz, Spain. Half the time I couldn't tell if I was on a sidewalk or a road...

Reactions: neroden
Netflix did it with some luck, they leveraged the postal service and a subscription model and a recommendation engine which fit perfectly when they went to streaming.
It wasn't luck. Netflix CEO Reed Hastings saw how his company had disrupted Blockbuster et al and realized his postal based DVD model could be disrupted by new streaming entrants. So he decided to disrupt his own company. You may remember they didn't do it perfectly and the revenue and stock price suffered for a period of time but then recovered and eventually went ballistic.

It wasn't luck. Netflix CEO Reed Hastings saw how his company had disrupted Blockbuster et al and realized his postal based DVD model could be disrupted by new streaming entrants. So he decided to disrupt his own company. You may remember they didn't do it perfectly and the revenue and stock price suffered for a period of time but then recovered and eventually went ballistic.

Could this be some type of SCTY/TSLA merger analogy in the future?

Reactions: STARR X
Nobody cares about the format other than Tesla. Nobody will be interested in buying the cells, pretty useless without Tesla's pack building technology and the large OEM's are all choosing larger format pouch cells.
Well Toyota committed to Panasonic for their late-to-market EV effort. Recently they moved the project to report directly to Mr. Toyoda so they are clearly putting a high priority on it. What are the chances that Mr. Toyoda, who shook hands with Mr. Musk for their investment, the NUMMI plant sale and the RAV4 deal, is outsourcing development of their long range BEV drive train to former partner Tesla? Mr. Toyoda knows they are behind and what better way is there to accelerate their efforts than to leverage the expertise of the company with the most experience in using Panasonic cells in BEV applications.

Last edited:
The software doesn't even know that it's supposed to honk the horn when going around blind corners.

Bluntly, they haven't started implementing the hard parts of autonomous driving. If you think they can do it in two years, you haven't been paying attention to how *amateurish* they are.

Maybe if they hired me they could do it in two years, I dunno, but with the sort of clowns who like to work on this stuff, it'll definitely take longer than that. I mean, it's taking them years just to get the cars to maintain lane position.

If they hired expert driving instructors to tell them what corner cases they needed data from and then started collecting that data specifically, they could perhaps do it in two years. They haven't.

They have a billion miles of data and how much of it is from one-lane bridges with traffic? Yeah, probably about 4 miles of the data? Maybe 10?

Water sluicing across roads in torrential rain conditions? (They'll collect this data sooner.)
I've easily contributed 10 miles of single lane bridge traversing but then There are a sugarload of those stupid things where I live. Maybe I should stage a Tesla drive through the Poconos to gather more single lane bridge data.

Regarding gas stations... Seems to me they'll make a hell of a lot more money with providing free charging.

First of all, they need a LOT of fast chargers. Typically here in Europe, on the motorways you get services with 10 pumps, the cars fill-up, pay then mostly drive off. Some then go to the parking, maybe 100 spots, average, then take a leak, grab some coffee, eat, whatever. But many don't do that, they just leave once they've re-filled.

Instead now you'll have all these cars typically having to hang around for 30 minutes to charge. For this you need charging in EVERY parking space, you need to remove as much the possibility that people have to wait. If they have to wait they won't come back in the future.

Then all these people will certainly go to pee, but then they'll likely buy some coffee, often eat, all this as a much higher %age than with ICE drivers. This is my personal experience while Supercharging.

Note though, that at the Superchargers next to Burger King or McDonalds, we don't spend anything, we just use the toilets (basically we don't eat sh*t like that). Likewise for the more up-market locations in Europe - for instance the Van Der Valk hotels in Holland, Belgium and Germany, we usually don't eat or drink, it's a bit too fancy for us with our three kids and two dogs - although we really appreciate the rest-rooms they have, very nice. What's a good compromise is the services in Germany with traditional food offerings, here we do often eat, take coffee, buy some stuff in the shops.

No doubt others will prefer the McDonalds or more up-market hotel chains, and they will spend money there, more often than ICErs.

I meant the luck was that many of the values and advantages from the postal model mapped well to the streaming model.

Well Toyota committed to Panasonic for their late-to-market EV effort. Recently they moved the project to report directly to Mr. Toyoda so they are clearly putting a high priority on it. What are the chances that Mr. Toyoda, who shook hands with Mr. Musk for their investment, the NUMMI plant sale and the RAV4 deal, is outsourcing development of their long range BEV drive train to former partner Tesla? Mr. Toyoda knows they are behind and what better way is there to accelerate their efforts than to leverage the expertise of the company with the most experience in using Panasonic cells in BEV applications.

And pay to use the SuperCharger network.

Is there only one cell production line at Gigafactory 1? How will it achieve the said "Economies of scale" with just 1 line?
For comparison, Panasonic had 4 lines at some factories in Osaka, and at least 2 lines just for Tesla's cells. Interesting, no more capacity increase news since 2013. Two lines at Suminoe seems capable to produce 600 million cells a year.

Back in March 2010, when the Suminoe plant started mass production, initial capacity was 10 million cells a month. I'm guessing, that's the initial rate of "mass production" in GF also, unless someone has better estimate or any word from the horse's mouth :)
Panasonic's New Lithium-Ion Battery Plant to Start Mass Production Next Month | Headquarters News | Panasonic Newsroom Global
My understanding is that phase one has at least two, maybe four cathode lines, with an equal number of anode lines (and an unknown number of winding and cell assembly lines, probably greater than one). Phase two should have twice that of phase one. So, sometime this year you should have 2-4 lines operational and sometime in 2018 you should have 6-12 lines operational. These are obviously very much improved lines designed for unprecedented volume, and they can't be directly compared to lines at other factories.

I expect phase one to ramp up to around 65 million cells per month sometime in 2017 and phase two to ramp up to 130 million cells per month starting in 2017 and ending in 2018. A total of around 195 million cells per month at the end of 2018. Initial volume is anyones guess.

Last edited:

I don't think you can just count "number of lines", since not all lines will be created equal.

My understanding is that phase one has at least two, maybe four lines. Phase two should have twice that. So, sometime this year you should have 2-4 lines operational and sometime in 2018 you should have 6-12 lines operational. These are obviously very much improved lines designed for unprecedented volume, and they can't be directly compared to lines at other factories.
I expect phase one to ramp up to around 65 million cells per month sometime in 2017 and phase two to ramp up to 130 million cells per month starting in 2017 and ending in 2018. A total of around 195 million cells per month at the end of 2018. Initial volume is anyone's guess.

Was just typing up something similar, but almost 50% higher numbers.. (guess I used lower energy / cell and added TE cells :)

Anyway, just to put this in perspective. Assuming your numbers.. and even assuming 24/7 operation (will not happen)..
- 65M cells / month = 2,16M cells / day = 90k cells per hour = 25 cells per second !!
- 195M cells / month = 6,5M cells / day = 271k cells per hour = 75 cells per second !! (run rate end of 2018)

WOW ! Bullet speed indeed !!!
Remember all these cells have to be produced, but also get the initial charge and be aged and tested.
This needs lots of energy and storage space. :eek: Just try to imagine.. Flabbergasted I think the word is.

And than doubling that again as targeted in 2020. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.