Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can they really do that? [Cover short sales with stock they hold but don't own?]

As I understand: Use your shares (for collateral) without paying you?
I thought folks like Fidelity reached out to stockholders for permission, and paid these holders a fee. Is that just a courtesy, or a legal requirement?

If my understanding is too naive, or badly flawed, just telling me to go figure it out would be fine. Besides swing trading Apple about 5 years ago, I am basically an idiot on individual stock ownership. [don't even know the rules]
Depends if the shares are on margin or not.

If your shares are on margin, then your broker can lend them out. If not, then they have to pay you to do so.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and 22522
Indeed. Meanwhile, shareholders who haven't placed a Good Till Cancelled limit order to sell TSLA at a very high price, may want to do so. That could discourage your broker from lending your shares to a short seller, and increase the likelihood of a significant short squeeze.

Shareholders who have already done that, may want to increase the limit price after considering the recent share price increase.
Curt speaking seriously about a possible short squeeze gets me excited.

So, not 300, not 400, not the 1,300 from the electrek article, but way closer to 6,000.

I may be reading it wrong but from the audit document attached that covers through 12/31/2016:

Tesla employees: 477
Panasonic employees: 91
Contractors: 5,591

What I don't know is if those 5.5k contractors are all still working, or if some of them are done. (I think only 1,137 were working as of the end of December.)

So yeah, lots, of activity.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
i thought the top end cap limits tesla's exposure, so they don't end up in a situation where they have to sell 1 billion worth of shares at some stupidly low price (assuming stock has gone much higher). ugh why is this so confusing!

my understanding was:

1.] tesla sells a bond + call option on equity packaged up in a convertible bond. [Correct]

2.]
to limit how much the short call option might cost them, they effectively sell [more clearly: enter into a ] a call spread [the lower strike is bought and the upper strike is sold] by buying a call option at a much higher strike [no, the call (hedge) Tesla buys is at the conversion price i.e effectively at the strike price of the embedded option in 1. above] from the hedge counterparty.

3.] to provide the hedge counterparty some protection, they issue them warrants. [the warrants are effectively the upper bound of the call spread in 2.]

and i think i've talked myself in a circle. if anyone has a clear explanation please post. thanks in advance.

The net effect is that Tesla has a net expense for the spread, but raises the effective share price where dilution begins from the conversion price to the warrant strike price--above that Tesla is naked on the embedded option in the convertible note.

Many people believed that other cell phone makers would quickly clone the iPhone and drive Apple's margins to nothing. The vast majority of mobile phone makers today don't make much if any profit. And almost everything is built by contract manufacturers like Foxconn of Taiwan, whether Apple or Android.

If you're looking for total justifiable rationality, you shouldn't be in the stock business.

Smart Phones - No one needs to work that hard to NOT make money. Report low earning to keep down taxes and use of off shore banking, import/export shell companies to further avoid taxes is common in most all industries. Well over a billion smart phones a year. Apple can't find anything to spend its profits on.

"justifiable rationality" good luck finding that in most any part of US culture, economy, education, continuous war, healthcare, you get the idea. Greatest clown show on earth and the best clown won.

Where's your 10-bagger price Curt?

Just about the same as for you. ;)

Based on the average for all shares bought over the 4 consecutive days Jan 29-Feb 1, 2013: $379.36
Based on only the shares bought Jan 31, 2013: $372.40

On Monday morning Jan 28, 2013 I received by email the weekly newsletter from an analyst I used to interview on my TV show. Among Industrial Manufacturing he had listed TSLA+ with no other comment (the + meaning looking good technically). I had never heard of Tesla Motors, their cars, modern electric cars or Elon Musk. I spent the day researching and was so impressed that I began to think, "This just might be my 10-bagger!" I bought some the next day. As I continued researching, I bought more each day during the rest of the week. Especially impressive in a contrarian sense was the number of short sellers and the dissing of the company by Fox News on YouTube videos I had found.

Tomorrow might be the day for both of us to celebrate. :)

@Brian45011: I am trying to wrap my old brain around these convertibles. Can you give me a 'Tesla Convertible Bonds Made for Dummies' book explanation.

If you have the time MANY thanks in advance. Al

It's well explained in the respective prospectus, but I'll try to summarize.

There are multiple, relevant parameters for each of the 4 issues:

A. The share price when the notes were sold
B. The share price at par--expressed differently (B') the number of shares for each $1,000 note
C. The total notes ($ Million) issued including the underwriters options to buy more notes (All options were exercised)
D. The net cost ($ Million) of the hedge/warrant transactions (I'll ignore underwriters' commission (discount) for marketing the notes).
E. The share price (130% OF B.) above which the notes can be redeemed early (20 out 30 last trading days in each quarter)
F. The warrants' strike price (above this level, some dilution occurs IF redeemed in shares, not cash).

NOTE MATURITY A.B.B.' C.D.E.F.
2018 $92.24$124.528.03$660 $57.2 $161.88 $184.88
2019 $252.54$359.872.7788$920 $214.2 $467.83 $512.66
2021 $252.54$359.872.7788$1,380INCL W 2019 $467.83 $560.64
2022 $262.05$327.503.053$965.9 $131.5 $425.75 $655.00

Last edited:
Fellow Teslarian / Teslemmings,

I was toying with the idea of proposing a Tesla parade around Stanphyl Capital to celebrate the milestone of doubling the 'Spiegel Bottom'

Two minutes of research has made me determine that Spiegel is a worthless tool and I can't believe he gets 10 seconds of attention ANYWHERE.

* Stanphyl only has 9 Million AUM? - There's probably just even one trader here who trends Tesla that could buy out Stanphyl and close its doors. Probably 500K AUM right now if the short is still held.

* He targets Tesla for the stupidest things like below:

Elon Musk, February 2016: 'We do not discount our cars for anyone, including me.'

"Fact: Since July 2015, Tesla has continually run a $1,000 per car discount referral program open to anyone."

$1000 discount? I can walk into GM tomorrow and get 20% MSRP off any vehicle. If I wanted one - which I don't. So technically Tesla discounts more to me than GM does. :D

Source:

A small hedge fund manager threw shade at Tesla's Elon Musk at a private conference and said the stock was going to zero

Stanpyhl Capital Management Webpage

Home Page

LMAO.

Last edited:
(2,7788 times 447.21 = $894,42. I see $1,240.29)

Essentially (after correcting the math it's correct, but more complex since the detailed terms of the hedges and warrants have never been fully disclosed) The warrant strike price is $512.66 for the 2019 notes and $560.64 for the 2021 notes. So I assume you are posing a hypothetical for 2019 notes.

Yeah math was wrong, multiplied by two instead of 2.7788. And yes talking about 2019 settlement obligations.

Note holder receives for each note value worth $1,667.28 (2.778 x $600):

-$359.87/share in cash from Tesla or $1,000 ($359.87 x 2.7788)

The T&C here Tesla - Prospectus Filed Pursuant to Rule 424 page S-31 seems to imply that a full settlement by shares ('physical settlement') is possible. For the 2021 notes there seems to be a portion that has to be cash though.

Hey, as the price goes up into the stratosphere, the Short Position becomes much more appealing and dare I say way less risky, help me spread the word.

Am I doing this right?

Couple antisell pointers for longs

1.) Shorts in at 180 have an opportunity to dollar cost average their shorts. Pretty standard strategy for managing dips except in reverse. When shorting, keep adding to short position as price rises. You also get more money in your account to spend right away to really leverage profits like buying puts.

2.) New shorts get in at all time highs so they stand to make 370 or so per share when TSLA eventually goes to 0. It's like a bank you can draw a massive loan from which you are never going to have to pay back.

3.) There's a parking brake recall out there that should tank share price once word spreads. You ever heard about how serious parking brake recalls are? Me neither? Must be serious.

4.) Tesla is 3x Snapchats valuation. If one wants to short Snapchat, one should also short Tesla. Tesla isn't worth triple the value of photo filters.

5.) Teslarian/Teslemming owners are biased and know far less than the writers at Seeking Alpha. By having never seen a Tesla, the writers at SA can provide much more objective analysis on what consumer preferences are and what it cost to construct one. It's amazing how the authors fresh out of college and likely living with their mom have such keen insight on the manufacturing cost and abilities of Tesla.

6.) Timing matters more than execution. People would rather rush out and buy unsexy Bolts that don't have PX2 drive units, is slower and realistically only has 100 miles round trip range. Since people are not buying Bolts, they are not going to buy 3s.

7.) Most Tesla bulls are and will be paying a lot of tax due to the huge gains from share price and options activities. Investors in Greenlight (which shorted Tesla) generated a solid 1% return for their clients based mainly in part to their short Tesla position. With 1% return, you won't be paying much taxes.

High 7 conviction reasons why TSLA is a pos stock and easy money for shorts.

British Elections

Exit Polls Projected Conservatives lose 17 seats. They lost 12.

One district in London, Kensington, is outstanding. The district leans Conservative and the BBC is forecasting a Conservative win hear.

That leaves the Conservatives with 319 MPs. If all persons elected to Parliament took their seats 326 MPs are needed to form a majority. Sinn Fein won 7 seats in Northern Ireland but refuses to pledge an oath to the Queen so it cannot actually take those seats. So 322 seats are needed to form a majority.

In Norther Ireland, the Democratic Unionist Party won 10 seats and has already publicly stated they are willing to form a coalition with the Conservatives. 319 plus 10 equals 329 MPs.

Labour gained 29 seats.
Scottish National Party lost 21 seats.
UKIP imploded from 13% of the vote to 2% and lost their only MP.

Next up is Norwegian elections on September 11th.

My big mistake was waiting 2.5 years to buy my initial Tesla shares at twice the IPO price. Short sellers were laughing at me. ;)

Indeed, what a short time ago I made the "Hail Mary" pass of a lifetime. I was very frustrated when my wife waited a couple of hours to execute a buy in her 401k account and missed $2.00 gain (26.75-28.75). Everyone to a man in the trust department investment unit of the bank she works for were practically yelling at her not make such a "naive" move.

And here we are. Only hiccup in a smooth ride was when I jumped out @$75 or so and jumped back in @ 77 so we're even for the $2.00 mistake!

One more note. Typically short-interest gets revised for prior day's data. So yesterday I posted data up to 6/7. Today I see that 6/7 data is revised (down). But don't see any other dates changed... Also, don't see 6/8 data yet. Maybe in an hour.

Couple of things first

1. As I understand MarkIt and S3 collect short data through feeds from brokerages. To the extent they don’t have data, they use algorithms to project based on known data.

2. MarkIt/S3 data doesn’t precisely match with exchange data for the days the exchange reports. However the trends generally are in line. If exchange shows say short-interest is down 2mil, MarkIt/S3 also shows roughly 2mli down for same period. So to evaluate ‘trends’ in shorting MarkIt/S3 is still useful.

3. Markit and S3 generally agree with each other in trends but don’t necessarily agree with each other precisely on a day to day basis.

4. Exchange reports based on settlement, but I believe MarkIt/S3 report based on trades.

I don’t want to steal any thunder from Ihor, so I won’t post S3.

View attachment 230382

For reference latest exchange reported short-interest is 31.692 Mil, which I believe is for trade date 5/10. The above table shows it roughly inline but not precisely.

Actually I just noticed that Shorts are basically keeping the aggregate position under $10Bil. They can't seem to be able to afford more than that size.

This is inline with what Mark BS has been posting himself. He is trimming his short as the stock is going up. Trying to keep the size under a certain limit.

So forced buying is very real. As stock keeps going up, they keep covering (buying) adding more fuel to the momentum.

They seem to have gotten themselves into a trap.

Fellow Teslarian / Teslemmings,

I was toying with the idea of proposing a Tesla parade around Stanphyl Capital to celebrate the milestone of doubling the 'Spiegel Bottom'

Two minutes of research has made me determine that Spiegel is a worthless tool and I can't believe he gets 10 seconds of attention ANYWHERE.

* Stanphyl only has 9 Million AUM? - There's probably just even one trader here who trends Tesla that could buy out Stanphyl and close its doors. Probably 500K AUM right now if the short is still held.

* He targets Tesla for the stupidest things like below:

Elon Musk, February 2016: 'We do not discount our cars for anyone, including me.'

"Fact: Since July 2015, Tesla has continually run a $1,000 per car discount referral program open to anyone."

$1000 discount? I can walk into GM tomorrow and get 20% MSRP off any vehicle. If I wanted one - which I don't. So technically Tesla discounts more to me than GM does. :D

Source:

A small hedge fund manager threw shade at Tesla's Elon Musk at a private conference and said the stock was going to zero

Stanpyhl Capital Management Webpage

Home Page

LMAO.

He gets media attention because he draws viewers.

Regardless, I don't think we should call out any individuals. Every investor makes mistakes, and he's already going through a tough time. No need to rub it in.

It's evident that he genuinely believes in his investment thesis, and that's what matters to me. Better than the paid shorts who are trying to bring down the company for special interests.

Let's be bigger person and see if we can get him to go long, which may actually make up for his losses....

Interesting, but not clear if this translates to sales. For all you know, it could be algobots and 7M people from Nigeria and India :) To put this in context, here are some other p

What should scare shorts the most, Tesla is really not well known. Not compared to GM, Netflix, Facebook and so on. Elon and Space X even less so. This should be scary because Tesla is a story stock at this point and sorry it's compelling, S3XY and something everyone can get behind. What prey tell will be the catalyst to being Tesla and Elon into the hearts and minds of the average car owner? The model 3 in the wild. It's a force multiplier and why Tesla has made a real effort to design sexy looking cars even though economical cars would be more profitable and easier to build. Tesla could have went from S to a pickup for the biggest market impact, but it wouldn't have worked. The model 3 and semi actually bridge the gap between luxury car maker to car maker for the average guy and gal out there. Guys who by trucks for work have respect for Cummings and Peterbilt, trust me I grew up in Wyoming.

I can't even tell you how many people want to talk to me about my car, now imagine that times 500,000 model 3s and extended friend and family and so on.... Force multiplier. What I tell people, a cheaper car is coming, but you can't get it yet. Empty your bank account and buy Tesla stuck
Stock. By the time the car is readily available, you can buy one with the profits.

Musk on twitter:

"All Superchargers are being converted to solar/battery power. Over time, almost all will disconnect from the electricity grid."

This big for model 3 owners. Tesla said from the beginning that they would base fees on the cost of the electricity. Can anyone estimate what the cost per KWh is going to be at a fully solar/battery based Supercharger?

Status
Not open for further replies.