Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What the market is not grasping besides the scope and scale is how an automobile and tech company, that bought a solar company is now making their own batteries for: flash lights? or to power cars, your home, your workplace...

Current valuation can't be justified based on what they already accomplished. Tesla is very clearly valued as a startup with potential. Where the market lands on risk/reward continuum that might look too conservative to some, or too aggressive to others. But you can't claim that the valuation is not, to some degree, reflecting the fact that investors do grasp this.

Last edited:
Reactions: StapleGun
This was super informative. The market cannot grasp the scope of the project. A huge factory with panasonic making batteries from raw materials to final assembly packs. There should be no more TE questions left, since I highly doubt they are making industrial grade powerpacks for a school science project or a for VC/accelerator presentation.

What the market is not grasping besides the scope and scale is how an automobile and tech company, that bought a solar company is now making their own batteries for: flash lights? or to power cars, your home, your workplace...
They've nailed it at seekingbs, it's a Potemkin Village.

@techmaven said: "Older video, but includes more detail than reports I've seen and more than mine. My tour included Panasonic employees talking about 2170 in Japan (maybe, which turned out to be true) and that some parts but not all of the Panasonic section was closed off to Tesla."

Hey, thanks for the video. You are right, its more informative than the other that we saw. He said that when the other end of the building was complete that they would be doubling the world production of batteries -- that is impressive.

This is just the product of random post-weekend dreaming, but anyone think it's possible that they will surprise (most) everyone by making the model Y at the same time as the 3? Could it be possible that they could sneak that by and keep that relatively secret? It seems like even if that was the plan there's no way it would not get leaked, but wouldn't people go nuts if when they do the 3 final reveal they were just like oh by the way we're also releasing the Y right now.

I’ve posted a chart with suggested Elliott waves in the TSLA Technical Analysis thread.

Link: TSLA Technical Analysis

URL]

• Informative
Reactions: A4KTT
This is just the product of random post-weekend dreaming, but anyone think it's possible that they will surprise (most) everyone by making the model Y at the same time as the 3? Could it be possible that they could sneak that by and keep that relatively secret? It seems like even if that was the plan there's no way it would not get leaked, but wouldn't people go nuts if when they do the 3 final reveal they were just like oh by the way we're also releasing the Y right now.
I suppose it depends on how much is identical between the 3 and the Y. If the differences are just body panels and a hatch, then maybe it would be easy, and could even use the same line.

Reactions: tander

Dont know about Model Y, but I think something is definitely up with Tunnels. It make absolutely no sense for Elon to stretch a joke for so long and keep Tunnels in his Twitter bio along with SpaceX, Tesla & OpenAI.

I don't remember but can someone confirm if he had SCTY in his Twitter bio before the merger? If it was there before, it means he is keeping his bio accurately updated. In that case the question is, wth is this Tunnel company!

Edit: Ok just checked Wayback machine. Elon had SCTY in his bio till Dec. 18th (a month after the merger finalization), after which he updated his bio to include Tunnels. I guess it was just a joke and Elon forgot to update his bio since then.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MitchJi
I think it doesn't make sense for two reasons:

- Tesla doesn't want to do anything that could potentially slow the ramp of the Model 3
- Announcing the Y once the M3 is in full volume production and the end of the backlog is in sight creates another huge layer of demand for Tesla

An article in Electrek today about Samsung SDI introducing 21700 automotive cells to compete with Panasonic and a new prismatic cell built into higher density modules enabling up to 600 km (370 miles) range and an 80% charge in 20 minutes. It looks really interesting until you find out that it is planned for volume production in 2021.

Samsung unveils its own ‘2170’ battery cell to compete with Tesla/Panasonic and new battery enabling 370-mile EV range & 20 mins charging
Mark Speigal was twitting no mote about this development. No mote = 4 year mote.

Reactions: Turing
Reactions: StapleGun
Its really a testament to how profit does not necessarily have to be priority number one when building a successful business, especially so when you're the pioneer in your field, and can therefore differentiate on something other than price.
I'm always surprised when most people's business instincts are to copy instead of trying to differentiate.

Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.