Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the price of TSLA is overwhelmingly driven by sentiment about the Model 3 schedule:

- the Q2 miss was offset by the 373K deposits
- the Q3 beat was muted by concerns that Tesla wouldn't have enough capital for M3 without a raise, particularly because of the pending SCTY acquisition
- the Q4 miss was more than offset by the GigaFactory dog and pony show confirming that battery production for M3 remains on schedule.

I expect this to continue throughout 2017. And rightly so. The impact to Tesla's finances of an order of magnitude volume increase over 3 years dwarfs what can realistically happen this year with S/X volume, stationary storage and solar panels or roofs. Which means that the inevitable small setbacks to the M3 schedule should create short term buying opportunities.

IMO the price of TSLA is overwhelmingly driven by sentiment about the Model 3 schedule:

- the Q3 beat was muted by concerns that Tesla wouldn't have enough capital for M3 without a raise, particularly because of the pending SCTY acquisition
- the Q4 miss was more than offset by the GigaFactory dog and pony show confirming that battery production for M3 remains on schedule.

I expect this to continue throughout 2017. And rightly so. The impact to Tesla's finances of an order of magnitude volume increase over 3 years dwarfs what can realistically happen this year with S/X volume, stationary storage and solar panels or roofs. Which means that the inevitable small setbacks to the M3 schedule should create short term buying opportunities.

I agree 100%
And as every day passes in 2017, FOMO grows stronger.

I don't think so. Why would it take into account other company's market cap?

Because you add the value of SCTY to Tesla as they added more shares outstanding which of course makes it a larger market cap because two companies became one. Just like when they report total revenue for TSLA going forward it will include legacy TSLA as well as SCTY revenue. It is not like the market cap run-up was organic, it came from M&A. That is why the market cap is at an ATH but the SP is still $50 from an ATH. Plus you have larger shares outstanding because of the secondaries.

Yes. Tesla currently has about 161.09M shares outstanding. Prior to the merger it was closer to 150m. To execute the deal Tesla issues about 11m net new shares to acquire SolarCity. The current market cap is the 161.90m shares * shares price. In 2011 there was about 100m shares for reference.

Over time the number of outstanding shares will increase from stock grants to employees, capital raises and acquisitions. It's called dilution.

Does that take into account the SCTY market cap for the period prior to the merger?

And unless their current financial situation improves the FF91 never will reach production.

I don't know what FF really is going after but honestly, ELIO Motors is more successful in capturing actual deposits for their auto-cycle than FF has and probably ever will be. I am already thinking FF is done. Lucid, next up. What will they come up with next?

lt's going to be a great day (later this year?) when TSLA's market cap (37B) passes Ford (50B) and GM (55B). When this happens, so many people are going to lose their minds raving about how many more cars F and GM make.

By then, it will be abundantly clear that Tesla isn't just a car company... it will also be producing & installing solar power, and enhancing utility grids with battery storage. Can't really say that about GM.

Reactions: Papafox
Basically yes. It depends on whose expectations you are talking about. Yes for market, mostly yes for fans. I do not think they need to hit everything to have a good year in terms of SP ... and unless there is disaster, likely doesn't matter too much in the long run (ie for longs).

It is always good to be cautious and in the long run we will win so long as the fundamentals of the business model are positive. Frankly, I think Elon is determined to surprise on the effectiveness of production so your assessment is too conservative. The GF tour video posted recently shows the factory is really impressive, not just in size but the small robots, other automation, and the knowledge of the staff.

Thinking of staff, a recent dinner guest said her grand-daughter, now works for Tesla and frequently with Elon Musk. When asked about her experience said the pressure was quite severe and she wondered how long her 28 year old grandchild would hold up. "But later she will be assured of a good career." Asked about her assessment of Musk, she had nothing to ad.

I remember someone reporting here that Tesla liked to hire veterans who are clearly accustomed to extremely stressful working conditions and conditioned to group work effort. One marine, a colleague who had an 18 year old die in his arms during the Korean War sent a link to a speech by a Marine general given right after his own son had died in combat. Semper fi is an understatement.

Everybody Should Read General John Kelly's Speech About Two Marines In The Path Of A Truck Bomb

When I was in high school I used to hate it when my Dad talked about how he loved to be with people who were smarter than he was. I hated it because I was in competition for grades with five or so guys who were tops. (Buzz Aldrin graduated five years before we did.) I have always enjoyed teachers who are smarter than I, not just because they knew more, and later in life have learned so much from students, teachers, colleagues, and now many of you who know and manipulate information so well and with great humor. I now feel comfortable around people smarter than I am and its not just because I'm on the wrong side of 80 with a fast-shrinking brain.

I would like to chat with or hear from Elon any time but I'd never want to work for someone that driven, however grateful I am to enjoy the fruits of his intellect at far remove. He must have a great soul to appear so normal in public, unlike the accursed toll by a talent like Van Gogh's.

I've reported this tweet and encourage anybody with twitter account to do the same. The more reports it gets, the sooner it will be removed. This crap should not stand. Note that "Report Tweet" feature under "More" button is available on the desk top version (not available on mobile versions). After selecting "Report Tweet" there are several options to provide further detail on the reasons for reporting. I chose "It is abusive or harmful" and then "Threatening violence or physical harm".
Great idea. Reported.

This means that the Q4 financial results might not matter to much if the market gets a update on Model 3 with capex spending and or positive comments from Musk on timeline and progress.

• Helpful
Reactions: KLC13
It is always good to be cautious and in the long run we will win so long as the fundamentals of the business model are positive. Frankly, I think Elon is determined to surprise on the effectiveness of production so your assessment is too conservative. The GF tour video posted recently shows the factory is really impressive, not just in size but the small robots, other automation, and the knowledge of the staff.
I personally think that they will likely achieve their estimates.

Reactions: Intl Professor
Status
Not open for further replies.