Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J.D. Power 2017 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study
Nameplate VDS ranking (problems per 100 vehicles)
Lexus
blue-2x8.jpg
Porsche
blue-2x8.jpg
Toyota
blue-2x8.jpg
Buick
blue-2x8.jpg
Mercedes-Benz
blue-2x8.jpg
Hyundai
blue-2x8.jpg
BMW
blue-2x8.jpg
Chevrolet
blue-2x8.jpg
Honda
blue-2x8.jpg
Jaguar
blue-2x8.jpg
Kia
blue-2x8.jpg
Lincoln
blue-2x8.jpg
Mini
blue-2x8.jpg
GMC
blue-2x8.jpg
Cadillac
blue-2x8.jpg
Audi
blue-2x8.jpg
Volvo
blue-2x8.jpg
Industry Average
gray-2x8.jpg
Chrysler
blue-2x8.jpg
Subaru
blue-2x8.jpg
VW
blue-2x8.jpg
Mazda
blue-2x8.jpg
Acura
blue-2x8.jpg
Nissan
blue-2x8.jpg
Land Rover
blue-2x8.jpg
Mitsubishi
blue-2x8.jpg
Ford
blue-2x8.jpg
Ram
blue-2x8.jpg
Dodge
blue-2x8.jpg
Infiniti
blue-2x8.jpg
Jeep
blue-2x8.jpg
Fiat
blue-2x8.jpg

Related Downloads
JD Power press release

You can reach John Irwin at [email protected]

Tags: Quality J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability StudyFiat Chrysler Automobiles Porsche Lexus

Shares

I believe that one of his main motivations was to eliminate the high costs of civil construction (California high speed rail).
Sure, that was clear from his Hyperloop napkin blog post -- and he didn't do his research. He was working on the *wrong problem*.

Thinking about this, I really should waste a day setting up a twitter account to contact Musk. Because you know what would really cut the costs of civil construction?

Self-driving electric bulldozers

And Tesla could build those. Right now.

Software: put in an accurate land survey (in CAD form) and the desired shape of the land (in CAD form), and the automated bulldozers work day and night restructuring it, no humans needed, recharging as needed.

It would blow the floor out of civil construction costs.

SolarEdge Technologies, Inc Is Pumping Out Profits, But Where Does It Go From Here?

I'd like to see Tesla look into acquiring SolarEdge. It is extremely profitable, but is strategically vulnerable as middle component maker. It does not own the end customer, and battery makers like Tesla are eating into the inverter market. So if it were brought into Tesla Energy it would be strategically secure and remain a profit engine. Moreover, SolarEdge has some really good innovators on staff, so the talent acquisition would be a plus for Tesla. So basically, I think SolarEdge would be more valuable as a part of Tesla Energy than it is as a public company.

Disclosure: I'm long on both SolarEdge and Tesla.

Sure, that was clear from his Hyperloop napkin blog post -- and he didn't do his research. He was working on the *wrong problem*.

Thinking about this, I really should waste a day setting up a twitter account to contact Musk. Because you know what would really cut the costs of civil construction?

Software: put in an accurate land survey (in CAD form) and the desired shape of the land (in CAD form), and the automated bulldozers work day and night restructuring it, no humans needed, recharging as needed.

I love it. Autonomy and electrification have huge application in all sorts of construction equipment. Also temporary microgrids for powering a worksite come to mind.

And, yes, Musk needs this for Mars!

Reactions: StephenM

But aren't the bulk of civil construction costs due to working in densely populated areas?

But aren't the bulk of civil construction costs due to working in densely populated areas?
Turns out, no.

The absolute *worst* civil construction cost inflation is caused by undocumented underground utilities, and there's absolutely nothing to be done about this other than figuring out where they are.

Working on cramped sites can also drive up the costs.

But even when utility relocation is not a problem and there's plenty of space on the site and land acquisition is easy, it's still very expensive due to being labor-intensive and slow. There's something very odd going on.

An example: built-in-place bridges (the norm) are roughly twice as expensive as "prefabricated" bridges where the deck is manufactured elsewhere and dropped into place in one move. Says something about the inefficiency of on-site construction.

I'm sure you've all seen how many people there are on a typical road construction crew, and how many of them are standing around most of the time. *There's* one of your sources of cost. Exactly why that is happening is actually quite complicated (it's *not* pure waste -- for one or two of the work steps they actually use the entire crew at once), but it's not a good situation economically speaking.

• Informative
Reactions: erthquake
Autopilot, etc., in heavy equipment already very much exists, and is an essential part of an enormous US and worldwide industry: agriculture.

Go to any John Deere or Caterpillar-Ag or Massey-F, etc., dealer, or search online, and you will see how amazingly robotic-controlled the industry is today, from ground prep to planting to fertilizing, weed control, harvesting &c - every facet of the process. GPS controls place the buster-lister, the combine or the what-have-you at the edge of the specific field down to the last inch on every single furrow.

As far as the construction portion of the industry: there I'm not so familiar, other than my scratching away at ditching and ground-leveling with my 20- and 30-year old fully manual equipment is laughably antique; today's machines have fully-computerized hydraulics that put that bucket at that exact depth in that ditch each time, every time....great stuff. The same is true in the mining industry.

Rant against TE is so absurd. Google the latest Ron Baron interview for his views on what he thinks the t
As a Tesla shareholder I would like Elon to devote his time to Tesla.

Right.... All of us on TMC can see how Tesla's progress as catalyst in EVs, battery storage and now solar energy are suffering so much from Elon Musk not devoting all his time to Tesla! Jeez.

SolarEdge Technologies, Inc Is Pumping Out Profits, But Where Does It Go From Here?

I'd like to see Tesla look into acquiring SolarEdge. It is extremely profitable, but is strategically vulnerable as middle component maker. It does not own the end customer, and battery makers like Tesla are eating into the inverter market. So if it were brought into Tesla Energy it would be strategically secure and remain a profit engine. Moreover, SolarEdge has some really good innovators on staff, so the talent acquisition would be a plus for Tesla. So basically, I think SolarEdge would be more valuable as a part of Tesla Energy than it is as a public company.

Disclosure: I'm long on both SolarEdge and Tesla.

But if SolarEdge is vulnerable, why bother paying premium to buy it instead of hiring away talent that would otherwise be waiting for their market sweetspot to disappear?

Reactions: MP3Mike
Autopilot, etc., in heavy equipment already very much exists, and is an essential part of an enormous US and worldwide industry: agriculture.

Go to any John Deere or Caterpillar-Ag or Massey-F, etc., dealer, or search online, and you will see how amazingly robotic-controlled the industry is today, from ground prep to planting to fertilizing, weed control, harvesting &c - every facet of the process. GPS controls place the buster-lister, the combine or the what-have-you at the edge of the specific field down to the last inch on every single furrow.

As far as the construction portion of the industry: there I'm not so familiar, other than my scratching away at ditching and ground-leveling with my 20- and 30-year old fully manual equipment is laughably antique; today's machines have fully-computerized hydraulics that put that bucket at that exact depth in that ditch each time, every time....great stuff. The same is true in the mining industry.
The construction industry has absolutely not adopted the techniques used in agriculture and mining. Dunno why.

Status
Not open for further replies.