Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But if SolarEdge is vulnerable, why bother paying premium to buy it instead of hiring away talent that would otherwise be waiting for their market sweetspot to disappear?
I don't think it is trading at a premium. It has a 9.7 P/E ratio, cheap earnings. It is the growth rate that is vulnerable, but growth could be boosted by integration with TE rather than competing with TE.

Reactions: neroden
Unless I am blind, Tesla isn't in that list. Is that simply because JD Powers only works with dealerships to get the data?

Or it means Tesla wisely doesn't hit customers with a massive JDP survey (that takes forever to finish) after warning its customers they better give "beyond outstanding" ratings on everything or they might get a visit from Luca Brasi.

Reactions: neroden
Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter

b36b7bcc44372dd6144d0ed4f25901a6.png

Not sure how much can really be deduced since there are still so many assumptions, so many possible 5% mis-estimated here, 10% there, that ultimately it will be impossible to say much about chemistry based on the range and battery thickness (I'm sure some will take all the best-case scenarios and conclude that Tesla is at 600Wh/kg and 100$/kWh, while others will take the pessimistic assumptions and determine that Tesla has made no progress since 2012. None of us will really know)

I'm interested in the charge port though. A build-in CCS/Chademo adapter would do a HUGE amount to alleviate SpC overcrowding and possible massively increase the number of people for whom a Model 3 is a realistic option. I don't know why I hadn't thought of this. Is there any really compelling reason for Tesla NOT to make their cars compatible at this point?
I've had a Chademo adapter since before I took delivery and have never used it. It is just for emergency use at this point. I just don't see the need for every Tesla to have one as the Tesla Supercharger network continues to build out.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Is there any really compelling reason for Tesla NOT to make their cars compatible at this point?

The CHAdeMO and CCS next generation standards have not actually been set yet. We expect changes coming, but they aren't actually ratified. Also, they are not designed for robotic plugging.

By the time the industry really gets going with their next generation standards that roughly match Tesla's current generation, Tesla will be looking at deploying the generation after for autonomous BEVs.

Reactions: landis and madodel
Sure, that was clear from his Hyperloop napkin blog post -- and he didn't do his research. He was working on the *wrong problem*.
Thinking about this, I'm sure he has a pretty good idea of what it costs to build the tubes, because they already built one in front of SpaceX!

SolarEdge Technologies, Inc Is Pumping Out Profits, But Where Does It Go From Here?

I'd like to see Tesla look into acquiring SolarEdge. It is extremely profitable, but is strategically vulnerable as middle component maker. It does not own the end customer, and battery makers like Tesla are eating into the inverter market. So if it were brought into Tesla Energy it would be strategically secure and remain a profit engine. Moreover, SolarEdge has some really good innovators on staff, so the talent acquisition would be a plus for Tesla. So basically, I think SolarEdge would be more valuable as a part of Tesla Energy than it is as a public company.

Disclosure: I'm long on both SolarEdge and Tesla.
Careful, you don't want to get @SBenson and @Zhelko Dimic started!
Turns out, no.

The absolute *worst* civil construction cost inflation is caused by undocumented underground utilities, and there's absolutely nothing to be done about this other than figuring out where they are.
Boring!
as "prefabricated" bridges where the deck is manufactured elsewhere and dropped into place in one move. Says something about the inefficiency of on-site construction.
It sounds like he's miles ahead of you on both counts.

He said that an advantage of boring is that you can go deep enough to avoid utilities.

I'm sure he has considered prefabricated tubes.

-Q4 Model S and X orders reach record highs
-Model 3 on track for initial production in July, volume production by September
-Battery cell production started at Gigafactory 1
-All Tesla vehicles in production have the hardware necessary for full self-driving
-SolarCity and Grohmann integrations underway
-Q3 to Q4 cash increased by over $300 million to $3.4 billion
-2016 revenue of $7 billion, up 73% from 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.