Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my preliminary consulting report is back. excerpts below.

i sent follow up questions because i still need more help understanding whether gaap or non-gaap is the meaningful measure of economic performance. solarcity swears its non-gaap and those numbers look horrible. as in, really really bad. does anyone here have a clear understanding of why non-gaap solarcity earnings are the correct measure of their performance?

i also need help reconciling the gaap and non-gaap earnings to the balance sheet, because the balance sheet equity seems to grow consistently despite negative gaap and non-gaap earnings. please chime in if you know. i sent this out to the consulting firm as well.

here's consultant report excerpts - quoted in blue. only a brief sampling.

"Summary: accounting is complicated but once you try to back things out it seems like a range of $30 $100 MM in quarterly net income for the SCTY unit going forward would be reasonable with $65 MM a plausible number."

he points out that the tesla acquisition disrupted business in q2 and that was returning to normal by q3 and q4. some further color on scty's q3 and q4 profits:
" [quotes scty filing] The Tesla announcement delayed our tax equity funds and just the tax equity fund had to go back to credit committee to get approval. Those have all now been approved and have been funded, but this caused a delay in Q2.
So basically, they had a hiccup in their ramp in Q2 and got an extra boost in Q3 or Q4 along with continuing the ramp and reducing acquisition costs and getting some operating leverage. "

on the accounting, they believe it is all legitimate, but confusing. meaning, those profits in the q3/q4 reports are real.

"IMPORTANT: It's possible that the Q2 delay caused a catch-up in Q3 and Q4 of 2016 and Q1 won't be as good. It's also possible that the Q2 delay obscured an inflection point. Hard to know which one but if its the latter then SCTY was a huge steal for TSLA and will add something like $250 MM a quarter in income to TSLA."

"Page 56 [of tesla 10k] suggests that TSLA is going to continue SCTY's accounting plan of attributing losses in energy generation to noncontrolling interests. This suggests that if the SCTY revenues continue as in 2016Q4, TSLA may indeed see a pop in earnings from them (at least in this accounting method). "

i think the 250m number is wrong, it's way too high. i feel gaap eps for q1 17 will see a 100-150m benefit from solarcity, but i'll await more verification from consultant before explaining further.

"In fact, one could argue that the 2016 SCTY numbers are somewhat meaningless for a number of reasons related to timing. For example, it seems like SCTY is allocated major losses to non-controlling interests (NCI) as usual and as if for a full year but almost no interest payments for Q4. "

i find arguing scty 2016 numbers are meaningless due to timing is wrong, i included to show the report wasn't all roses. important to me is interest payments from solarcity's q4 got shifted on tesla financials due to timing issues. so tesla's q4 understates profitability for solarcity by 22m (the interest they paid for solarcity).

more later after the second round comes back.

The Earth is our spaceship. When are we going to get serious about maintenance?
Unfortunately, the most likely answer is "When we don't have any other choice."
We are hard-wired for slash and burn and move. It gets dicey when there's no place to move to (though Elon Musk is working on that). As an old colleague Ray Anderson liked to say, "There's no away in throwing away."
That simple wisdom has yet to be adopted.
Robin

General trading question:

As a conservative investor, I am trying to understand a contradiction I see pop up a lot (mainly in the TSLA Market Action thread).

On the one hand, a lot of investors claim to buy and hold "forever" (I am talking SP in the thousands or 'till 2025). Some even point out their portfolio is 100% TSLA.

On the other hand, many of those same investors claim that on a dip - such as the drop to $295 yesterday due to macro - they bought the dip.

I don't get this because:
- if they have cash lying around to buy the dip, then they weren't fully invested in TSLA with their available money for trading.
- if they were fully invested (buy & hold), they shouldn't have extra cash to buy the dip.

So are these people not being truthful? Are they not doing what they say they do? Are they selling off shares instead of holding forever, but they never post when they sell, only when they get back in?

You catch my drift. How is buying and holding compatible with all the cocky "bought more on the dip" talk?

I have a core position, I've not diminished since building it up in 2012. It was roughly 30% of my net worth at the time. Through a combination of buying shares and keeping shares assigned to me from some long-term puts I'd sold, I've added about 30% more shares to that core position. With the increase in Tesla's valuation that now represents about 80-85% of my net worth (I would not recommend this high a concentration to everyone... I think it's fine for about 10-20% of people's financial circumstances, including mine and 2 of the dozen friends and family I've persuaded to invest in the stock).

I add trading shares in a step fashion when Tesla falls more than 30% of what I estimate fair value to be (based on modeling of future earnings in 2025/26). Where does the money come from for "trading shares"? I go anywhere from about 10% sitting in cash, to using 20% of margin buying power. I almost never carry much of a margin loan however. When I add on a dip I use a combination of buying trading shares and selling puts to minimize the amount of money I'm actually borrowing. It works nicely, but if you do this, you need to remember you may not be borrowing money with the help of the puts, but you ARE dipping into your margin buying power. I don't like to see that buying power get used beyond 20% or so.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
New Tesla Blog out

Model S or Model 3
"
We’ve been getting ready for Model 3 by advancing manufacturing, expanding our charging network, improving service, opening more retail stores and much more.

With a new model coming this year, we know our customers will have questions about which car is right for them. One question we’ve been asked is, “Should I trade in my Model S for a Model 3?” While Model 3 will be our newest car, it isn’t “Version 3” or the next generation Tesla. Our higher priced premium models still include the most advanced technology and the best driving experience we have to offer.

Model S is the leader in its class in every category, which is why 94 percent of our owners say they will buy Model S again. It has a 5-star safety rating and will continue to be our flagship Model with more range, more acceleration, more power, more passenger and cargo room, more displays (two) and more customization choices. With Ludicrous+, Model S has a zero-to-60 time of 2.28 seconds as measured by Motor Trend, making it the fastest accelerating production car in the world. Model S will also continue to be the longest-range vehicle we offer, capable of a landmark 335 miles on a single charge, meaning you can travel from Los Angeles to San Francisco nonstop.

Model 3 is smaller, simpler, and will come with far fewer options than Model S, but it makes driving feel effortless and offers a good range of at least 215 miles for our starting model.

At the foundation of every Tesla is safety – keeping our customers safe is part of every decision we make. In addition, every Tesla vehicle (Model 3 too) comes standard with full self-driving hardware which, through over-the-air software upgrades, will enable a Tesla to be substantially safer than a human driver. As we continue to test and validate new features, customers can expect an increasing number of updates to be rolled out to their cars this year. And while innovation at Tesla will never stop, the very best vehicles we make are already available for purchase and on the road today.
"

Absolutely. I do wonder what happens when they get close to 100%, and exceed it. Do they start curtailing some of the renewable projects when load is low? They count biomass as renewable, so I suspect that'll be the one that gets curtailed. If they decommission that, which they might since I doubt it ramps up and down well, then maybe they start finding a way to convert the excess into something exportable...

Probably that doesn't happen until all the cars on the island are electric too, though, so it'll be a while. I wouldn't worry about the SolarCity PPA, they'll have made their money back before >100% renewable overcapacity starts to become an issue.
@neroden,
well, my kid is living on Kaua'i for at least the next 2 years and I have been trying to get her to buy an EV or electric bicycle
Nissan and KUIC had a $10,000 "gimme" to get folks to buy Leafs Nissan Leaf Rebate | Kauai Island Utility Cooperative so it will be probably 10 years before 100%

Reactions: neroden
I think we sometimes forget that people on the street are not aware of EVs, and one of the main arguments against EVs it still is "you get to burn oil for charging them". But everyone now gets solar.

Now that Tesla owns Solarcity, it's much more difficult for people to come up for arguments pro ICEs. And when Model 3 will be here the "price argument" will drop further.

Never underestimate the power of a simple message: EV + solar + storage.
Here's my response to the burning fuel to charge EV canard.

Ten million EVs can transform the power generated from 1 Bcf/d of natural gas into a replacement for 374 kb/d of gasoline. With natural gas at about $3/Mcf, this is like replacing a gallon of gasoline for about $0.20. But it gets better, because renewable energy can replace the natural gas as well.

The problem for the oil and gas industry is that while they may yet be able to sell fuel to power EVs, this comes at an 85% reduction in revenue for the industry. At current hub prices, gasoline is at $1.723/gal and natural gas $3.313/mmBtu, which implies a substitution price of $0.212/gal. So per gallon substituted, $1.511/gal or 88% of gasoline revenue is lost. So the O&G industry does not really want this substitution to happen, even though they are likely to use it a some sort of comeback rhetorically.

Additionally, it is not like the price of natural gas can rise to equal out the price differential. The industry knows that natural gas is capped at $4/mmBtu because at that price utilities switch from gas to coal. This is short-run price cap. Long run natural gas must compete with solar, wind and storage. This puts a long-run price cap at around $3/mmBtu, but it will decline year after year as solar and battery costs continue to decline. So for the foreseeable future domestic gas prices are stuck around $3/mmBtu. Dropping the price of crude to -$12/b so that market gasoline comes in at $0.20/gal is not an option. Basically, the natural gas replacement is at below the cost of refining crude. So no positive price of crude makes this work. Increasingly the industry will shift from crude to natural gas and make less money doing it.

my preliminary consulting report is back. excerpts below.

i sent follow up questions because i still need more help understanding whether gaap or non-gaap is the meaningful measure of economic performance. solarcity swears its non-gaap and those numbers look horrible. as in, really really bad. does anyone here have a clear understanding of why non-gaap solarcity earnings are the correct measure of their performance?
No! I do know GAAP is wrong, but I don't like their non-GAAP treatment either!

Like I say, I'd really like to see the new revenue recognition standard and lease recognition standards applied.

The accounting I would like to see would do something like this:
(1) show a profit on solar panel sales equal to the difference between sales price and cost of installation, less allowance for warranty (this is done)
-- with tax asset for the tax break recognized immediately, though probably impaired
(2) show a "sales" profit on solar panel financing leases and PPAs equal to:
-- the profit which would have been made on a cash sale at the standard price
-- with most of it as deferred revenue, realized each year
-- including the tax asset
(3) with an IRR calculated on the actual contracted / projected cash flow stream discounted back to the standard price, treated as an *interest rate*, and recognized annually as *interest income*
-- thus making the lease comparable to a loan
(4) with losses realized when leases default or when PPAs produce less than projected, and windfall profits when PPAs produce more than projected
(5) with SolarCity financing being recognized, again, always on a basis equivalent to a term bank loan
(6) with the securitization of a cash flow stream being recognized by removing the deferred revenue and adding the cash received
(7) and tax equity financing being recognized as removal of a tax asset (which was impaired anyway) and replacement with cash (or deferred revenue, or whatever)

Anyway, this doesn't remotely resemble either the GAAP or non-GAAP earnings. It is pretty close to what the *new* GAAP accounting standards call for, though.

i also need help reconciling the gaap and non-gaap earnings to the balance sheet, because the balance sheet equity seems to grow consistently despite negative gaap and non-gaap earnings. please chime in if you know.
OK. So the size of the balance sheet increases as money is borrowed and spent on solar panels. But a large part of this balance sheet is "minority interest" (damn minority interest accounting -- I really dislike it). Specifically, when a solar lease is first set up with tax equity financing and cash equity financing, nearly *all* of it is accounted for as "minority interest", so it doesn't much change the equity of SolarCity's stockholders -- except that they have some overhead costs, which get spent and show up as losses.

Now, what happens is that the minority interest typically basically gets amortized as years pass: SolarCity has more rights to the solar panel assets as time goes on. So there's a constant transfer of equity from the minority interests to SolarCity, which does *not* show up as earnings, but is the main source of reported equity increase.

Clear as mud, right? This is why I hate minority interest accounting. The worst part is, the minority interests and their future "equity transfers" aren't detailed -- you just get the one line "attributable to minority interest" and don't know what's inside it.

on the accounting, they believe it is all legitimate, but confusing.
That was my assessment too!

"Page 56 [of tesla 10k] suggests that TSLA is going to continue SCTY's accounting plan of attributing losses in energy generation to noncontrolling interests. This suggests that if the SCTY revenues continue as in 2016Q4, TSLA may indeed see a pop in earnings from them (at least in this accounting method). "
See, this is where the hairball comes from. SolarCity has what I can only call accounting deals with the noncontrolling interests. Many of them want to realize accrual losses while collecting cash flow, and apparently SolarCity is accomodating them. I personally don't think this is being manipulated for SolarCity's purposes, I think it's being done for the benefit of the noncontrolling interests.

The reason it's possible to show losses early on an essentially profitable deal is that GAAP is NOT currently conforming to underlying accural accounting principles. According to underlying accrual accounting principles, the moment the enforceable lease contract was signed, that revenue should be booked as profit (albeit deferred); it's accrued already. This is not, however, how current GAAP handles it. This is one of the reasons GAAP is changing.

Now, cash flow's another matter. The cash flow can't be doctored by GAAP the way the accrual can. The thing is, SolarCity had a business model like a bank, where the cash flow from the loans you make all comes later. They kept making presentations about this pointing out the large incoming cash flows in the out years, but investors weren't believing them. They were telling the truth.

(And again, the serious problem SolarCity had pre-merger was that they were borrowing short and lending long; it doesn't matter if the bank will get a lot of income from 30-year-mortages 10 years in the future if they can't repay their depositors who want their money this week.)

Mitchj has a long and informative post in the 'battery pack costs ' thread he started -can't link from the iPad - but I think the TE segment is severely underestimated. Lead times are long but once this area gets rolling it's going to make the auto section look like the proverbial 'mouse nuts'.

This is from a 40+ year electric utility background that experienced cutting water heaters and A/C off as 'energy management ' in the late 70s. We would have killed for battery storage.

Do you expect TE to get rolling in 2018 or 2019? I'm anxiously awaiting this rollout

I think Barclays and most of the other TSLA analysts have definitely taken the red pill: ;)

To remind Street Insider clients, the red-pill analogy comes from the Matrix when Morpheus begins to show Neo how the Matrix works (YouTube): "You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."
Barclays Takes The Red Pill On Tesla (TSLA) Bull Case, "the stock is frequently disconnected from fundamentals"
The funny thing is everyone who takes the red pill has in fact taken the blue pill. They all go on believing whatever they want to believe. We all take the blue pill, but some want to believe they have chosen the red pill.

That's quite aggressively saying that waiting for the 3 if you can buy an S is a mistake. Not very confidence inspiring from an investor point of view.

They are sold out of the Model S for the next couple of months. They are sold out of the Model 3 for the next 15 months. The Model S ASP is about $100K. The Model 3 ASP will be about $40-45K. While the Model 3 eventually may have margins close to the Model S, production roughly through the rest of this year anyhow will have negative margins.

Which vehicle would you promote between the Model 3 and the Model S?

That's quite aggressively saying that waiting for the 3 if you can buy an S is a mistake.
Not my read at all. Nobody reserving a 3 thinks they are getting the "best" Tesla for a lower price; they think they are getting an affordable Tesla that is a great car. Tesla is simply making clear to those who want that best car they can get, that that is the S and will continue to be so. I don't know why they specify the S rather than including the X, but there it is.

I have little doubt that the 3 will be the best Tesla for the money.

The funny thing is everyone who takes the red pill has in fact taken the blue pill. They all go on believing whatever they want to believe. We all take the blue pill, but some want to believe they have chosen the red pill.
For the under invested and short positioned, this is the grieving phase of the process- it's been played out many times;
Expect this to continue for a number of years;
It's manifested from disbelief of major disruption - the matrix is re-forming

Last edited:
It's not so much that they choose to promote the S. It's the fact that they are doing it by quite explicitly talking down their new product.

and it is not clear to you that introducing a new product at half the price of your existing product, with both performing the same core functions, could put pressure on sales volume of the original product?

What's more, you're original comment,

"That's quite aggressively saying that waiting for the 3 if you can buy an S is a mistake. Not very confidence inspiring from an investor point of view."

is completely consistent with what Elon Musk has been repeatedly saying about the Model S itself for years... the best time to buy the car is now, i.e., it is a mistake to wait for a revised version coming down the road.

Reactions: neroden
and it is not clear to you that introducing a new product at half the price of your existing product, with both performing the same core functions, could put pressure on sales volume of the original product?

They are different products. That is like BMW not putting out a 3-series because people might buy it instead of the 5 series which can be 2x as expensive. The addressable market for the 3 is extremely large compared to that of S/X. Also, S/X can move into a higher market and lower margin S/X can be eliminated. I expect them to do a refresh of the interior by the end of the year with introduction of the 2170 pack.

Edit: If you do not have a reservation today. Your only choice to purchase a Tesla and receive it in the next 18 months it to buy a Model S. I do not see any cannibalization in fact I see the opposite. Once the 3 hits the masses, it will remove a lot of barriers in peoples minds and cause even more demand for S/X in part because they wont be able to buy a 3 for a long time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.