Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are Tesla employees guys.

Quite an historic moment. Not full of a ton of new info other than a cool $44k upgraded price for a 310 mile + faster car, but still -- there are actual Model 3's going home with actual customers for the first time ever. And the floodgates are open. That's...amazing.

So also that would be what, roughly 18,000 Superchargers next year? Also did I miss someone saying there are 500k reservations now?

Pared-down electric experience: Driving one of the first Model 3s off the line

"
Another thing of note is that the Standard Model 3 and the Long-Range Model 3 have two different batteries, so you can't upgrade your Standard to a Long-Range vehicle when you find an extra $9,000 down the line. But both cars use 2170 cells in the battery—that is, the cells are slightly bigger than those found in the Model S and X at 21mm by 70mm, and they can deliver almost twice what the current 18650 cells deliver to the Model S and X in terms of current. The pack itself is also more integrated with the charger and the rest of the car in its build.

The car is also a mix of steel and aluminum, compared to the mostly-aluminum Model S.

Other small details: the Model 3 doesn't have automatically extending door handles (you have to push the handles in on the left, and pull from the right, which might be an issue for people with small hands). There's also no key. The car will open with a compatible Tesla app, or, if you don't have a smartphone, a keycard that you can put in your wallet to help the car recognize you.

Selling the car
Tesla also went to great lengths on Friday to express that if you have the means to buy the S or X, the company thinks its higher-priced cars are still better than the Model 3. After Ars drove the Model 3, the company offered rides in some Model S vehicles on the factory's private test track just to remind the press that the more expensive vehicles are better.

Musk also bristled at a question about reservations for the Model 3, saying that it was "aggravating" to keep hearing the question. "We do everything we can to unsell a car," Musk said. "Have you ever seen an add for a Model 3?" The CEO then went on to say the net reservation number was currently "over half a million.""

m3.jpg

Reactions: Yuri_G
So also that would be what, roughly 18,000 Superchargers next year? Also did I miss someone saying there are 500k reservations now?

He said 500k M3, 100k S+X. But didn't give a year (presumably 2018). I also think those where rough figures of merit. But that is the only production nugget I could glean.

Th 100k comment is interesting though. Suggests they really do plan to hold steady with S+X. I expected that but I am not sure they have ever said that.

Great range on the long range model. That was the only "surprise" really. Nothing at all about FSD. I was expecting more to this event but maybe my expectations were too high. The initial Model 3 event last year was bigger in terms of presentation. Why didn't they go into the interior more? Screen? Etc... Kinda puzzling to me. Apparently, there's not much to the screen that people haven't already seen from the S and X. I thought there might be more to know there. Ah well! Huge day nonetheless.

Reactions: RobStark
Status
Not open for further replies.