Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This site (Funds Holding TSLA) provides more detailed view of institutional ownership for TSLA.

Not sure where they get their data but they also list Call/Put holdings for individual hedge funds (Scroll to bottom for biggest Put holders).

Seems like these banks are net short TSLA: UBS (-$397 mil), Barclays (-$214 mil), Citigroup (-$23 mil) as of 03/31 2017.

Last edited:
Could be anti-selling of the bond offering.

Someone in the past few pages asked when Tesla would no longer have an off the charts short position. It's possible this may not happen for many years... perhaps, not until pretty much all the ICE makers capitulate and turn squarely to EVs. I've said this for years, the lion's share of the short position may be a strategic investment by some in the multiple trillion dollar industries Tesla is disrupting (of course, not all the shorts, but the chunk that makes Tesla a standout among public companies for shares shorted). Lose money directly on the short position, as an investment to suppress the stock price, and help create the impression that Tesla has a dubious future (i.e., consider how Tesla being among the 5 public companies, among thousands, most bet on to sink can be interpreted). A flood of FUD helps with this. If this is all intentional, the massive short position and the massive flow of FUD pieces both work to create a background smear and jeer track for each other's message- Tesla, TSLA, and the transition to EVs are all tremendously overhyped jokes, you'd be a fool to take seriously (notice how that drips through so many articles and Yahoo, Bloomberg, and CNBC commentators). I wonder if any other company in history has had the volume of FUD pieces for the extended period of time Tesla has since I began following it. Not just obvious mercenaries of Wall Street game playing like thestreetdotcom and business insider, but, The Wall Street Journal, Barrons, LA Times, Fortune, Forbes, MarketWatch, and often The NY Times, among others. Of course, this is all just a theory, but, this many years of such over the top bashing? Isn't it interesting, that with so many smear stories filled with falsehoods, the rest of the media never calls out any of the stories other outlets are circulating with falsehoods (yes, they might be reluctant to call out another organization, but they don't even call out that a false narrative is out)? About a year ago, there was a Tesla story that had a falsehood that was positive... a slew of stories followed calling out that journalistic fail (IIRC, it suggested the Model Y was either coming out sooner or would be cheaper than the Model 3).

I've mentioned this before and some have asked how this would do any good for big oil, etc. Suppressed stock price and flood of smearing of company and products ---> less funding and less favorable terms in secondaries or debt offerings ---> slowing Tesla's growth and increasing public skepticism about the ICE age ending. It also provides cover for the ICE makers kicking the transition to EVs down the road as long as possible.

The theory may not be correct, but, I'm not expecting the short position to fall to market norms, or the massive FUD output to end for many years. I wont mind being surprised if the tide turns far sooner, but, if it doesn't, I won't be bothered by the big short squeeze that just keeps not happening, or the flood of tabloid quality hit pieces found in everything from tabloids to what used to be considered sterling publications.

My advice- stop waiting for the short squeeze, and steel yourself to a steady diet of smear pieces well into the 2020s. If you focus on what Tesla is accomplishing, it's still a blast.

I expect short interest below 10% and smear pieces to disappear by end-18.

• Funny
Reactions: MitchJi
Really? I project things differently.

Tesla will always trade on future earnings, because it will always be out-innovating its competition. If its successful in 2018, its share price will reflect its business in 2019-2020. That means it won't be valued at a P/E of 10, like all its competition and like all the accountants want it to be. It'll again be valued at "Amazon" levels. And, as such, there will always be people who think it's vastly overvalued. I don't think the short interest ever goes away.

The smear pieces disappear when the auto industry pivots and there's more than one anti-oil, anti-ICE target. I think we're still a couple of years away from that as well.

Let's compare notes at the end of next year. :)

lols, I know, a few months ago you bet me it would be under 10% by the end of this year never to rise above 10% again. well, with "end-18," you're moving more in agreement to my position now (fwiw, sounded like you are moving closer to my view on our other bet as well from what you wrote the other day about your surprise at how slowly the rest of the automakers are moving to EVs ; ).

I hope you are right on all this, but, for over 5 years that I've been watching Tesla extremely closely, the short position has been there the whole time, never dipping to market norms, and the FUD has only gotten far more aggressive with time.

Reactions: JRP3

A significant drop in short interest by EOY 2018 wouldn't surprise me. If Tesla delivers on Elon's guidance of 500K Model 3 run rate at 25% GM (and I think it will) it could get very ugly for shorts. Of course, if the SP shoots up a new round of people shouting "bubble stock" could pile in.

I would love for the smear pieces and social media shenanigans to disappear but I agree with @SteveG3 and @Alketi that likely has as much to do with legacy ICE interests as people who are genuinely short the stock. I don't see that going away any time soon. My impression (which could be wrong) is that FUD has increased since the Model 3 handover event, perhaps because the threat is now more tangible.

Last edited:
Well let's think this through...

I think by "we," you mean the ~10-20 people here on TMC that know the company inside out and have researched every possible detail to no end for the last decade. Majority of lurkers here probably joined in the last twelve months, and don't know as much about Tesla as you do. Therefore, it makes sense that you may be able to ask "much better questions that any of the analysts" who cover dozens of companies simultaneously and are being pulled in a million directions because research is not their only responsibility (think client meetings and so on).

So, ok, I vote for you to join the earnings calls, but what qualifies you? You, like many retail investors or RIAs, are not representing hundreds of millions of dollars, yes? So if we add you to these calls, then we have to add thousands of other retail investors across the world who have one share of TSLA. Chaos. :eek:

I think Berkshire tries the best by webcasting their annual meetings, but Tesla did that too... Earnings calls are great, and Elon is always on Twitter. The VAST MAJORITY of material information for long-term investors is disseminated publicly via SEC filings, tweets, webcasts, and news websites. I'm also grateful for Electrek @FredLambert.

I think the playing field is pretty level for long-term investors, but I think a good next step on Tesla's part would be to make the transcript of the meeting and/or the road show presentation slides available, but I don't fully know what the implications of this would be. This may not even be possible or advisable. So I don't know. One thing I do know for certain, however, is that this is not an easy problem to solve, and that Tesla is doing a much better job at leveling the playing field than many others. An order of magnitude better. ;)

This is about the 4th time in the past 5 years that Tesla has effectively selectively released material information in a private setting without a press release for the rest of us at the same time.

Tesla is very transparent to us all about long term goals and strategy. That is very helpful to us as investors. The level playing field I understood Techmaven to be bringing up was about releasing material information to everyone at the same time. I've only followed one other company this closely before, but, my sense is that Tesla slips up on this far more than the average company. Again, in the past 5+ years, I've seen this happen at least 4 times. Perhaps this is "an order of magnitude better" for those inside the meetings, the opposite of a level playing field. To be fair, Tesla is under far more of a microscope than most companies, so, maybe this is all part of Wall Street's unwritten rules and typically goes unreported. I realize this may have been the first time you experienced this, so, I can see why you might of thought tech was overstating things. Over several years, we've seen a strong pattern.

I don't know exactly what is wink wink, nod nod, re complying with the rules on the book, but, I have some concerns about whether this repeated practice might bite us all in the rear one day. I take Elon as he is re speaking style (actually like it) and talking about the stock price, but I don't like this practice and have written to IR about it in the past.

lols, I know, a few months ago you bet me it would be under 10% by the end of this year never to rise above 10% again. well, with "end-18," you're moving more in agreement to my position now (fwiw, sounded like you are moving closer to my view on our other bet as well from what you wrote the other day about your surprise at how slowly the rest of the automakers are moving to EVs ; ).

I hope you are right on all this, but, for over 5 years that I've been watching Tesla extremely closely, the short position has been there the whole time, never dipping to market norms, and the FUD has only gotten far more aggressive with time.

Haven't been reading every post. Just the last page of whenever I login to reply to messages... But this sounds like we are losing the shouting war. Should I throw away the ball and don my troll slayer equipment?

Haven't been reading every post. Just the last page of whenever I login to reply to messages... But this sounds like we are losing the shouting war. Should I throw away the ball and don my troll slayer equipment?

if you like, but, I've found my energies are generally better spent elsewhere. fwiw, I think their over the top ramping up of shouting has gotten to the point of tending to do more harm to their own reputations than to Tesla's... like attacking a diamond with a plastic spoon ; )

Reactions: JRP3
That's just how costs works. If you use an offset printer size of a football field designed to print millions of newspapers overnight, just to print your neighbourhood leaflet then that's going to cost you much more than to copy them in your local copyshop. Now, maybe you have plans to grow your neighbourhood leaflet to become the new New York Times next quarter and that investment is worth it. But the fact of the matter remains that you printed an extremely costly neighboorhoud leaflet that first quarter.
No, that's actually not how costs work. You might choose to assign it that way if you're being sloppy, but that's not how it actually works.

The offset printer is capital equipment and doesn't show up in cost of goods. It should be depreciated in the manner in which it wears out. In the case of an offset printer, that's the "units of production" method.

The fact is that it cost you only the cost of power and ink to produce that neighborhood leaflet, plus wear and tear on the printer.

Marginal thinking, it's something we try to explain to economics students. And the term "gross margin" comes from marginal cost analysis.

Depreciation is only part of margin if *you've calculated it correctly*. Year-based depreciation is just wrong for large factory equipment. (Year-based depreciation is appropriate for items which are expected to become obsolete due to predictable technological or fashion changes: so if you figure a car design is only good for 5 years before people get bored with it, you would depreciate the master designs for the body panels over 5 years.)

I trust that Tesla's accounting department and their controller do their best to present us the numbers as they are, according to well established accounting guidelines which is the only reasonable assumption when using a well defined term like gross margin without explicitly indicating differently.

I have been assuming, without explictly saying so, that Tesla is using well-established accounting *principles*. Which would indicate units-of-production depreciation on nearly all the equipment.

However, they may be using some sort of *stupid accounting bullshit* which is present in GAAP, which is what you are suggesting they are doing.

I realize this is very common; we already know the lease accounting is garbage (and is being changed in Jan 2019) and the revenue accounting is garbage (and is being changed in Jan 2018). The depreciation accounting may also be garbage -- I haven't checked. I probably shouldn't assume that the depreciation accounting is competent, given what I know about the way depreciation is used.

For *internal corporate business decision purposes*, one does not use phony depreciation schedules. I had to explain this to a businessman looking for venture capital last year: he was showing me spreadsheets which depreciated his assets on the standard schedules, which did NOT reflect their actual useful lives, and I said "That's useless financially. I need real estimates for the useful life, replacement schedule, failure rate." I had to explain that business accounting is not the same as "reporting standards" accounting.

Look, I understand you are frustrated with what gross margin represents. I get that, it's far from a perfect metric.
No. I know what gross margin really means economically. I'm certainly not "frustrated" with it -- I know exactly what gross margin is and it's a great metric.

I do not know whether GAAP is currently accurately reporting gross margin. You are asserting that it does *not* accurately reflect gross margin. Do you understand that you are asserting this?

If you have specific references to the GAAP standards specifying depreciation procedures for the equipment, it would help. I've been assuming that they're using units-of-production depreciation, which is appropriate. You are suggesting that they're using time-based depreciation, which is not. We should be able to find this out by researching the GAAP rules.

----
Now, there's something different going on if the depreciation schedule is actually correct, and Tesla *really* had a negative gross margin on storage (perhaps due to high labor costs or costs of air conditioning the factory or whatever -- real costs which happen whether or not they're manufacturing anything). I might have been wrong about what you were saying -- you might have been asserting this.

But do you get my point about depreciation? If you think they had a "negative gross margin" due to time-based depreciation schedules, that would simply be a miscalculation of gross margin: that would mean that the depreciation is being computed incorrectly. (Depreciating too fast.)

This would not surprise me. GAAP miscalculates things all the time. One of the necessary skills of an investor is to figure out when this is happening. It's typically situations where GAAP bright-line rules deviate from the actual underlying principles of accrual accounting.

Last edited:
On second thought, it enforces something I have been saying for a long time. Tesla is uniquely structured to disrupt the automotive industry. Energy storage? Not so much : it's going to turn into commodity pretty soon.
I strongly suspect not, but explaining why is another comment.

Tesla's best bet going forward is to dedicate every single cell that comes out of the gigafactory to model 3 production. Putting them in powerpacks is a waste of opportunity. So I am actually pretty positive that this is what Tesla is now doing.
This is correct. No matter what model I come up with, energy storage has worse margins than the cars. So every battery which can go to cars should do so.

The next logical step is to jettison energy storage completely. Any manufacturer can buy cells from Samsung and turn them into powerpacks (and many will do).
Nope. I think you're underestimating the value-add in the packaging. Remember when Tesla set fire to a Powerpack to prove its safety?

Maybe Tesla energy storage was nothing more than a hedge straight from the start : a hedge they entered when they didn't yet know how phenomenal the demand for the Model 3 would become.
We know it was a hedge in case they were producing more batteries than they needed.

But *sigh* it's also critically important to the company's actual mission. It's the end-run around "coal-powered cars". It's part of being able to sell "the complete package". And they have a huge waiting list.

So two things are going to happen:

(1) Tesla is going to focus on its two competitive advantages:
(a) the "integrated / turnkey system"
(b) the cooled/warmed/fireproofed/stabilized pack technology, where they are *way ahead* of competitors

(2) Tesla will buy parts from the outside as much as possible and only in-house when they have to

Now that the negatives haven't panned out, Tesla is doing what anyone would do with a hedge you don't need anymore : you liquidate it with as little costs as possible and milk it for whatever PR value it is worth.
Nope. You don't do that with a product with a long waiting list which is part of your company's mission.

The information that Samsung cells will be used in the Powerpacks for Australia is not entirely useful without knowing the mix. Will 100% be Samsung cells or will 1 powerpack be Samsung cells and the rest Panasonic/Tesla cells? I would think we are talking about a significant percentage, as it was mentioned by Musk, but 10% would be significant.

Remember the Australia project is on a short timeline: 100 days. It'll take a month to ship heavy stuff to Australia and a month to install and debug; anything shorter is kind of unrealistic. So that leaves about a month to make the parts! The Gigafactory is producing some Powerwall/Powerpack cells, but apparently on the "pilot line". They're producing Model 3 cells, but rumor has it those are a different chemistry. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gigafactory simply can't produce enough cells fast enough for the Australia project at this point.

Don't be suprised if it's a mix of Samsung cells and Gigafactory cells based simply on how much can be supplied ASAP.

Not clear they are selling at a loss. The quarterly financials may imply that, but the time between production and revenue recognition may be 2-3 quarters, especially for bigger projects. The are just getting through or coming out of the s-curve for gen2 production. AES is competing at roughly the same pricing levels and buying cells on the open market, so I don’t expect that in the long run, Tesla is losing money on this.
To emphasize the accounting issues, consider the following scenario:

Cells manufactured in Month 1 are sold in Month 2, cells manufactured in Month 2 are sold in Month 3, etc. (For clarity let's assume all sales are contracted in advance.)

In true accrual accounting, you would match the revenue for Month 2 to the cost of production of *those cells*, which were produced in Month 1.

Most reporting systems including GAAP do not do this. They adopt "practical expedients". But these practical expedients make nonsense of the accounting during a transition month when production changes substantially. This does not change the true gross margin in any way! It's the same from month to month. (What changes is the *volume*.) But the accounting standards, by mismatching the months, give a misleading picture of the true accural situation during the transition month.

GAAP is sloppy. It's a nice starting point, but it shouldn't be taken too seriously. The first edition of Benjamin Graham's _Securities Analysis_ basically consisted of how to dig through a financial report (of the time period) and recalculate real numbers from the misleading GAAP numbers. (The idea being that you spotted overpriced or underpriced companies by spotting ones where GAAP didn't match reality.)

Status
Not open for further replies.