Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The chatter about the Norway Tax may be the reason that people pull there purchase forward ...
I doubt it would be registered that fast. EM has a secret hyperloop tunnel to Norway? But I bet a lot of Model X will be registered in Norway in the 4th quarter. I just hope they will consider the tax again. There are no alternative electric cars that have a towing hitch, and what is the alternative if Model X gets too expensive?

A fire department in Puerto Rico is now powered by solar: 'It's a matter of life and death'

“<
"We will be flipping the switch any minute now," said Andy Newbold, a public policy director at Sunrun, which installed the system. Sunrun, a San Francisco-based residential solar provider, worked with nonprofit groups including Empowered by Light and Givepower to coordinate the installation.
>”

4DC73C5E-56B8-4ADA-B607-5024CFDB1B33.jpeg

Here is a youtuber who takes a closer looking at Teslas Gross Margin and compares it to all other manufactures Gross Margin (Ferrari = 49%, Tesla 27%, Mercedes = 21%, BMW = 20%, Toyota = 17%, Fiat = 14%, GM = 13%, Ford = 11%, VW = 6.8%).

There were a few nuggets of new info in the video. He is also a shareholder (TSLA).

Lots of good reasons why the gross margin in late 2018 will grow nicely after M3 is rolling in volume. I did never understand the reasoning of some Media/Analysts that the M3 will hurt the margin. If you make the math and understand the causes for it there is a lot of merit to assume Tesla to be the market leader in the respective segments by larger factors. In particular once other automakers are finally starting to produce EVs in volume which we can expect to be 2019 and 2020.

I wonder how the market will evaluate SP at that stage .....

Reactions: Johann Koeber
Here is a youtuber who takes a closer look at Teslas Gross Margin, and compares it to other manufacturers Gross Margin (Ferrari = 49%, Tesla 27%, Mercedes = 21%, BMW = 20%, Toyota = 17%, Fiat = 14%, GM = 13%, Ford = 11%, VW = 6.8%).

There were a few nuggets of new info in the video. He is also a shareholder (TSLA).

It was a good video but a little bit misleading. The other manufacturers are including R&D and SG&A in their gross profit margins so these are not directly comparable to Tesla.

Has anyone here backed out competitor’s R&D and SG&A to give a better comparison against Tesla?

Reactions: 22522
It was a good video but a little bit misleading. The other manufacturers are including R&D and SG&A in their gross profit margins so these are not directly comparable to Tesla.

Has anyone here backed out competitor’s R&D and SG&A to give a better comparison against Tesla?

There are a lot of problems with the comp. After all, Tesla has many different business units in start up mode. They don't want to show investors or competitors the minutiae of what they are spending where. So how do we divvy up the R&D and SG&A of Tesla's dealership business? The Tesla semi? Residential solar install? Commercial solar install? Residential and commercial stationary storage? Solar roof and solar panel products, including production? Common elements across all vehicles, like Autopilot and battery cell R&D and production?

It comes down to the point of making comps. It's like trying to compare Apple versus Samsung. You really can't, not at the macro level. They are such different businesses. It is possible to try to compare the mobile handset businesses and even then, the comps are difficult due to the difference in how software and services are done or not done in each business. And therefore, the question has to go back to why one is doing the comps at all. And the basic reason is to try to establish valuation in order to determine fair price. But trying to do such with Tesla and say, Ford is fruitless. The analysis is far more complex and in the end, trying to do such a comp is a sign of poor logic and meaningless analysis.

Thats all very true ..... but we have to realize that until today the market evaluates Tesla like an automaker and compares Apples to Oranges. Telling the market that fact does not change their investment behavior at all.

In other words its all very true what you say and I fully agree but the market will move based on that little available information about GM that is available and decide if they buy or sell based on it. In that respect knowing how misleading that comparison is it still makes a lot of sense ri understand where the market will head to ....

Hope you can follow my thoughts.

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE! LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE! LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE! LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE!

one of buffett's great "steals" was buying geico, a cash machine. tesla is only partnering with insurance carriers but still a win imo.
Believe me, as long as it isn’t more than Geico, I will switch to the Tesla Insurance.

This'll be very interesting if the rates are good.
Apparently the "take rate" in countries where it's being offered is extremely high

I just did the online quote and it is horrible.

I'm currently with Progressive and my policy is $647.50 every six months.
My estimate for the same level of coverage and deductibles with Liberty Mutual through this online quote is $2,310 every six months.

I just did the online quote and it is horrible.

I'm currently with Progressive and my policy is $647.50 every six months.
My estimate for the same level of coverage and deductibles with Liberty Mutual through this online quote is $2,310 every six months.

TMC should add a "WTF?!" rating.

Last edited:
Here is a youtuber who takes a closer look at Teslas Gross Margin, and compares it to other manufacturers Gross Margin (Ferrari = 49%, Tesla 27%, Mercedes = 21%, BMW = 20%, Toyota = 17%, Fiat = 14%, GM = 13%, Ford = 11%, VW = 6.8%).

He sometimes gets the details wrong, but he's usually on the right track, and this video is actually a good and informative one.

The idea that R&D and SG&A are accounted differently between Tesla and its competitors is pure FUD spread by MontanaSkeptic and his kind.

First, SG&A is never included in COGS.

Second, Tesla's competitors don't innovate; what R&D?!

People keep asking me to write an article about this, but Seeking Alpha doesn't accept two-sentence articles.

Last edited:
For interested weekend warriors

Elon Musk will chat about his big rocket plans with SpaceX fans on Reddit — GeekWire

“<
Two weeks after SpaceX founder Elon Musk updated his vision for a monster rocket designed to take settlers to the moon and Mars, he’s due to take questions from his fans this weekend during a Reddit “Ask Me Anything” session.
The precise coordinates for the chat depend on Musk’s schedule, but the Reddit’s SpaceX forum is sure to have the definitive word when it comes.
>”

Status
Not open for further replies.