Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
90% of the AI work will be done by a fleet of software programmers. Now if you are one of the best of the best of this type of programmer would you go work for GM who might even offer a higher starting salary or would you go to work for Tesla? Tesla will be able to recruit far better programmers than probably any one else in the industry. TSLA stock options plus overall corporate environment means they will win the AI race.

If I was just starting on a career at the top of the list of companies to work for would be Tesla.

"All students at Stanford want to work for Tesla and SpaceX" - based on my chat with a Stanford student. It's not about the stock options, they want to join the teams to make the world a better place. I guess it supports your point.

GM not a 'dying dinosaur,' set to reclaim ground it lost to Tesla: Barclays

"Barclays raised its rating on GM's shares to overweight from neutral on Friday, saying that the company is likely to regain ground lost to Tesla in electric and self-driving vehicles."

The graph at the bottom of that article is a prime example of how you can easily make a graph to paint any picture you like.

The scale of Tesla is much bigger, percentage wise, than the scale they chose for GM. Making the slope of the TSLA graph look relatively shallower than it really is, compared to the slope of GM.

Thank you for posting this; extremely informative, and not much talked about.

I think the only shot GM/Ford have to survival is to achieve Level 5 before anyone else, because that would allow them to make some profit even with an ICE fleet, while building their own Gigafactories.

Some here have previously said GM will trail Tesla in autonomous driving, but I'm not convinced that this is the case. I'd love to understand the two sides of this discussion better, so if anyone has looked into this at length, I'd appreciate their perspective.
My belief Tesla will beat GM in autonomous driving is based on quality of the engineering team.

I also understand GM’s direction involves much more expensive HW (including Lidar) so by necessity they will be using a much smaller fleet and thereby gathering much less data to train the neural nets.

Reactions: Lessmog
Thank you for posting this; extremely informative, and not much talked about.

I think the only shot GM/Ford have to survival is to achieve Level 5 before anyone else, because that would allow them to make some profit even with an ICE fleet, while building their own Gigafactories.

Some here have previously said GM will trail Tesla in autonomous driving, but I'm not convinced that this is the case. I'd love to understand the two sides of this discussion better, so if anyone has looked into this at length, I'd appreciate their perspective.

For incumbents like GM/Ford - acquisitions are a lot easier than trying to build it out themselves. That is why Google(Waymo), Apple, Baidu, drive.ai etc are in the game as well

..Observation - Tesla/Tesla news has gone cold on the AP2, FSD etc. But others have started announcing theirs with like 2020 timelines and GM SP already benefited from it.

Hopefully the LA/NY Self Drive happens soon (was stated before end of year ...)

Thank you. I do try to post useful stuff and I'm not a native speaker but my English should be good enough that it's clearly understood. I dare say this was a case of different way to structure our parties more than any political disagreements.

Cobos

@Cobos Thank you, you are too kind. I went off the rails, I was wrong, and there are no excuses for my behavior. I doubt I can ever apologize enough.

Bruce

China halts more than 150 coal-fired power plants.

China is to stop or delay work on 151 planned and under-construction coal plants as Beijing struggles to respond to a flat-lining of demand for coal power.

The newly released list implements a target announced by premier Li Keqiang in March to stop, delay and close down at least 50,000 megawatts of coal-fired power plant projects in 2017.

The list affects coal power plants with capacity equal to the combined operating capacity of Germany and Japan (95,000 megawatts) costing around US$60 billion (389 billion rmb).

Last edited:
Reactions: EinSV
I'm still not so sure about Tesla here. The article indicates they'd be producing for the defense industry, in addition to automotive and consumer. That doesn't sound like Tesla. Anyone have thoughts on this?
The guy in the video who seems to be in the know said that there is a lot of misinformation about Project Tim, so who knows what it would be.

• Informative
Reactions: dirtyofries
I'm still not so sure about Tesla here. The article indicates they'd be producing for the defense industry, in addition to automotive and consumer. That doesn't sound like Tesla. Anyone have thoughts on this?

spacex bfr airport - is one guess because of the carbon recapture mentioning
apple - is the other guess as it involves foxconn, automotive and consumer electronics and deep funding

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.