Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
False equivalency is rampant in the media and may be the single greatest cause of people voting against their true interests.
One example is media pretending that the far left is no better than the far right. The truth is there is a far greater percentage of the right wing that is way to the extreme right than there is on the left. Most of the individuals on the left are what used to be called moderates.

The best example for this forum is which political side believes in climate change science and which denies it?
Which side wants policies to move from ICE to EV? Elon Musk is both a progressive and a capitalist.
I believe you so hard I won't even ask for proof. ;) (But I do see what you mean.)

Reactions: Intl Professor
My 2 cents on TE:

From demand side I'm not sure how many people who don't already have or plan to have solar are signing up for PW. Also integration of PW with myriad solar providers is not cheap/easy. I think Elon saw this and was a contributing factor in buying Solar City so they can consolidate sale/installation/integration. However, the lease model at SC tend to attract people who don't want to pay lots of $ upfront, the exact opposite of what you want to be able to upsell PW, and the effort to consolidate isn't paying off. To fix that they need to
1) move SC away from leasing to get more customers with more upfront cash
2) add higher end offering like solar roof where buyers are willing to pay for the value add of PW. Then over time TE can move down market as they ramp up production and margin, similar to Tesla auto.

From the production side, although TE and TA cells use different chemistries, the machinery on Panasonic side that make the cells is probably shared, just using different recipes. I suspect Tesla is using TE cells to hedge the unpredictability of M3 cell demand to keep Panasonic production rate stable. As long as M3 ramp is still in flux, PW availability will be unpredictable. The only exceptions are the "halo" projects like Australia and Puerto Rico, where Tesla must deliver, I think those factored in why Tesla brought in Samsung for Australia.

Maybe by mid 2018, when M3 production ramp is done, and the cell supply side becomes more predictable with higher volume/margin, and solar roof is out driving demand, then Tesla will start selling TE products in earnest.

Reactions: neroden
nothing to exaggerate. it is happenin right now as we speak. these few upcoming days will be all positive. its flying high. next stop is 350 then the big 420. smoking some good weed here.

tesla is currently funding my weed habits.

we are still on track to hit 350 this week. we need to hit an average of 15 points on next three days to make it to 350.

No big deal. ill change my wording since you dont like weed.

sit tight, watch Tesla hit the 350 mark this week. I call it ez money. mark my wordz

Might want to back off the bong for a while.

Yeah, about that. Why was storage again a business with negative gross margin this quarter?
I am dead certain there are fixed costs hiding in the "cost of goods sold" there.

This is a nasty accounting habit, which is misleading and unhelpful to understanding what's actually going on. Tesla is not stupid: they are selling their batteries for more than their ongoing variable costs.

In addition there may be revenue recognition timing issues. These bedeviled SolarCity to the point where very few people could understand their business. If any of the energy storage sales are paid for in any way other than "100% cash up front", and if Tesla is considered to have residual obligations with respect to them, you're going to see revenue recognition timing issues, where the costs for a system are booked this quarter and the revenue in a future quarter. Accrual accounting is supposed to straighten this out, but the way it's actually applied, it really does not. (This is supposed to change with the new GAAP revenue recognition model.) This represents a cash flow issue, not a profit and loss issue, but it screws with the reported profit and loss numbers pretty regularly. Which is irritating. There isn't enough detail in the reports to tell how much of this is going on.

Did the stationary storage business ramp up way slower than I would have liked? Yes.

P.S. Bluntly, I think Tesla had unpublicized production problems on the PowerPacks and Powerwalls. Schonelucht is spreading the unlikely conspiracy theory that they "lose money on every battery sold", which is ridiculous.

I think they had problems with mass production, which would be unsurprising given the number of other problems they've had getting to mass production (do I have to list them again?). I suppose if they never solve those problems then it would be a permanent problem (can't make enough volume to overcome the fixed costs), but this is the sort of problem they seem to be good at solving.

Last edited:
I believe you so hard I won't even ask for proof. ;) (But I do see what you mean.)

To rephrase Rousseau's famous dictum, "Everywhere man is born free, but everywhere he is looking for chains, that is to say, certainty." I think we all are victims of this human frailty. In distinguishing the greys of the political spectrum, the tails are a white (all colors of the spectrum) where total freedom, anarchy, creativity are to be found, and on the right where certainty, dogma, death and nihilism are to be found in total black (the absence of color). We are all somewhere in between and the median is constantly shifting with time. I'm not at all sure it's a Boltzmann distribution but I've been corrupted by Taleb's Black Swan.

By world standards the American voter is clearly to the right but that is changing more rapidly than we deserve to expect with every trampling of democracy. In the rest of the developed world public educational standards are higher along with consequent upward mobility giving more hope for the young. In the less developed world the challenges of poverty make for two kinds of leaders: despots or Francis look-a-likes who all too often end up as victims on the cross of greed and certainty.

Berkshire Hathaway - When they purchase a new company, say Union Tank Car and the BNSF, does the relationship between UTLX and BNSF change? Did BRK buy UTLX to provide tank cars to BNSF? No, BNSF continues to buy cars from anyone, and UTLX continues to sell cars to anyone. Why, because
Because it's illegal to do otherwise. I happen to know railroad regulation. Bad example. Try again.

(Berkshire Hathaway actually does do a lot of so-called "bolt-on" acquisitions, which are actual attempts at vertical or horizontal integration or creation of monopolies.)

Last edited:
OK, just one more note, couldn't resist this one. Seriously? I do read the other areas on the site. The 29 iterations of the drive train, as well as the various other components that had HORRIBLE failure rates are not evidence of an effective strategy. Good effort.
Apparently you've never bought a car from another manufacturer (...or maybe you only buy from Toyota, where nothing ever breaks). I've had plenty of similarly HORRIBLE failures in ICE cars. We had four *axles* fail on an Audi. Did the manufacturer supply an improved part as a replacement part? Nope. They supplied the same part which broke the first time.

This is standard practice. Tesla is aggressively innovating. So much for the claim that suppliers would innovate faster than in-house engineers; it's just not true.

Last edited:
Apparently you've never bought a car from another manufacturer (...or maybe you only buy from Toyota, where nothing ever breaks). I've had plenty of similarly HORRIBLE failures in ICE cars. We had four *axles* fail on an Audi. Did the manufacturer supply an improved part as a replacement part? Nope. They supplied the same part which broke the first time.

This is standard practice. Tesla is aggressively innovating. So much for the claim that suppliers would innovate faster than in-house engineers; it's just not true.
Not only that but...
Most of the ICE innovation has been to meet increasingly strict pollution and efficiency regulations. The side effects have produced higher performance. Reliability too is better. IIRC the worst reliability of a US vehicle in 2915 was better than the best of 1995. Just drive anything from 1995 2015 back to back.

FWIW the least reliable car I ever owned was a BMW M3 convertible. Every maker has had duds. The only one that I know has improved vehicles after they were purchased is Tesla, at least recently. Both the NSU RO80 and Mazda R100 that I owned had mechanical improvements after I bought them. Of course they were Wankels before anybody had a clue about seals. I know of no other such examples.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
To rephrase Rousseau's famous dictum, "Everywhere man is born free, but everywhere he is looking for chains, that is to say, certainty." I think we all are victims of this human frailty. In distinguishing the greys of the political spectrum, the tails are a white (all colors of the spectrum) where total freedom, anarchy, creativity are to be found, and on the right where certainty, dogma, death and nihilism are to be found in total black (the absence of color). We are all somewhere in between and the median is constantly shifting with time. I'm not at all sure it's a Boltzmann distribution but I've been corrupted by Taleb's Black Swan.

By world standards the American voter is clearly to the right but that is changing more rapidly than we deserve to expect with every trampling of democracy. In the rest of the developed world public educational standards are higher along with consequent upward mobility giving more hope for the young. In the less developed world the challenges of poverty make for two kinds of leaders: despots or Francis look-a-likes who all too often end up as victims on the cross of greed and certainty.
Uhh. I think this conversation is at a cross-stalk. You lost me somewhere early.

What I jokingly quoted was Bobfitz saying there is more extreme right-wing in the right-wing than in the left -- and who am I to disagree? :p Anyway, it's a dark, stormy night so my judgment may be clouded too.

The truth is there is a far greater percentage of the right wing that is way to the extreme right than there is on the left.

I don't think the facts agree here. When Elon did the first presentation on the Powerwall, interest was OFF THE WALL. Just look through old posts on this forum from back in the time. People were ready to sign up blindly. People still are signing up blindly. How many buyers are aware of the exact status of feature implementation on the Powerwall, do you think? The slow ramp up on TE was due to many thing, but a lack of customer interest it was not. I agree the sales lead trajectory on powerpack would reasonably expected to be longer. But not 2 year longer. That's stretching it. TE ramp is slow because Tesla does not have a product that it wants/can sell.

Look, when GM is only delivering 1000 Bolt's in the first few months, the usual suspects here are quick to draw the (unconfirmed) conclusion that's because they lose money on the car, it's only a mirage and not a product they want to sell. Blablalbla.

When Tesla is only delivering a few thousand powerwalls in the first few years(!!!!!), and their financial statements actually back up that they are losing money on the damn things quarter after quarter? Suddendly no one is willing to admit that the powerwall/pack so far have mainly been a show product that Tesla is not really willing to sell. It is simple as that.
Someone recently posted the original gigafactory construction schedule. Optimistic projections not withstanding, the gigafactory is basically on target. Short term, they definitely need to start delivering faster for auto and energy. We will see about margins when they are selling batteries for 10,000 cars or more a month and making real energy volumes. They need to be making a S Australia side project volume of batteries every month soon and a GW of storage for TE every month early next year.

• Love
Reactions: Runarbt and neroden
Uhh. I think this conversation is at a cross-stalk. You lost me somewhere early.

What I jokingly quoted was Bobfitz saying there is more extreme right-wing in the right-wing than in the left -- and who am I to disagree? :p Anyway, it's a dark, stormy night so my judgment may be clouded too.

I hoped his quote, which I like and totally agree with, was quoted with your response. Totally agree with you, although it is a light rain and overcast afternoon here in cloudy California. Now I need a nap. Best to you in Smogen. (Too tired to umlaut.)

What I jokingly quoted was Bobfitz saying there is more extreme right-wing in the right-wing than in the left
I disagree with this. (The concept, not either poster per se).
I’m of the opinion that the extreme in reference, is a head fake to what will eventually be recognized:

Left and Right are socio-political labels between (skipping more nuanced detail for this discussion) individualism and communal preferences in policy and human interaction. A rightfully fluctuating balance between them.

What’s happening today is an insult to both of those (Right and Left) and has no associative relationship to either.

Instead we should focus on the assault of our common values by those ignoring or justifying behaviors in offense to all of us.

We are currently mis-identifying the enemy, and that civil war between Left and Right is precisely what’s providing the space for its existence. It will resolve in the end, but many will be hurt by the inevitable process of this human interaction.

Meanwhile AI machines (created by a tree branch of human evolution) continue to outpace our ability to frame the human problem. Perhaps it’s best they take over the mess after all.

Part of the answer to THAT, and which path serves Humanity best, will be determined by our willingness to accept (current)behavior from those co-opting ‘Right’ for their own advantage, in turn, corrupting ALL of our own morality.

k-

This will hurt. Not sure if it is paid fossil fuel direct attack or what. I just find it hard to believe that Tesla would display poor workmanship. The M3 I saw around the 26th of September was anything but a typical shining example of Tesla craftsmanship at its finest. I did not drive the car, but everything fit together nicely, and appeared professionally constructed.

Uh oh, an analyst drove a Tesla Model 3 and he found a bunch of problems with it

Also, the video we had recently revealed absolutely no flaws.

Again I question the author of this article associated with Bernstein.

Tesla is at the mercy of unforeseen delays, providing shark bait for the enemy.

Reactions: Drax7 and Lessmog
Status
Not open for further replies.