Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that didn't quite answer the question: The $2400/year were around $0.30/kWh on the E1 tiered default plan. We did switch to the E6 and after that to EV-A plan which is a time of use plan with $0.46 peak, (3pm to 7pm), $0.25 mid-peak ($7am to 3pm, 7pm to 11pm) and $0.12 otherwise.

We now charge at night since that is the cheapest. Net-metering makes it so that we get more than what we produce since it is accounted for at $0.25 to $0.46, so we get credited roughly $0.30 since we start producing about 8am and stop producing about 8pm in the summer, peaking around noon. about 60kWh/day in the summer, 20kWh/day in the winter.

Thanks. Since we have residential retail competition among generators with energy around $0.07/kWh, no residential TOU rates, and no state incentives, the pay-back period here computes considerably longer .

There is some new evidence to support DaveT’s assertion that Tesla may have delivered some VINs out of order.

Highest I’ve seen delivered in pictures of is VIN 1090.

An employee posted on Reddit he received his VIN number today (008XX) but doesn’t even have a delivery date.

Just because we haven't read about plans by other manufacturers to build battery factories doesn't mean those companies aren't working on them. Battery manufacturers will recognize the coming demand and build facilities even if the auto companies don't.
Mercedes has already announced plans:
Mercedes-Benz will spend $1 billion to build electric vehicles in the US

This was discussed in great detail two weeks ago. MB announced they planned to spend $ 1 billion in U.S. to assemble EVs and build battery packs NOT cells. When Daimler and BMW say they are building or investing in battery factories actually mean they will have factories to package cells they buy into their battery packs. No one including the Chinese are investing to build cell factories that could allow European ICE companies to produce EVs in large volume.

I think it will be mind blowing by the performances : 0-60 in less than half the time of traditional semis + very good battery capacity + maybe a wireless charger or some kind of innovation in this field for the semi + full self driving capabilities.

and it doubles as a real life transformer robot! THAT would blow my mind.

(- induction charging, thats not needed and lossy imo)

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
EV_Capitals_Fig01.jpg

Wasn't all that obvious from the beginning? I don't claim any special powers of insight but MUN joined my sparsely populated ignore list early on and none of the ongoing debates with him have made me question that decision. I am mystified as to why a number of members I respect, including yourself, still engage with him. I guess my only hope is eventually the reality of Tesla will beat him into submission and he'll slink away back to his cave. Maybe Elon will melt his brain on Thursday :D
I counter with the fact that young earthers still exist on this world, proving that no amount of logic can save certain people.

• Funny
Reactions: TMSE and JRP3
Yes that's why wireless charging or some other kind of innovation in that field (charging).
Maybe snake charger yes.
Wireless charging is limited by the laws of physics as we know them. I sincerely doubt wireless charging will ever exceed 90% efficiency in my lifetime in a consumer device. It may some day come to the point where power is so cheap we don’t meter it (Ha! Nuclear power reference) but unless that happens, only those with a lot of money to blow will go for inductive charging on a vehicle.

Reactions: zdriver
It may some day come to the point where power is so cheap we don’t meter it (Ha! Nuclear power reference) but unless that happens, only those with a lot of money to blow will go for inductive charging on a vehicle.
Generally agree but there may be some applications where running a cord is not practical, maybe curbside parking for example, or charging on the go. Example:

Wireless charging is limited by the laws of physics as we know them. I sincerely doubt wireless charging will ever exceed 90% efficiency in my lifetime in a consumer device. It may some day come to the point where power is so cheap we don’t meter it (Ha! Nuclear power reference) but unless that happens, only those with a lot of money to blow will go for inductive charging on a vehicle.

I assume you are referring to large gap charging.
In the realm of contact-less charging; by treating the charge cord as the primary with a core and the vehicle as the secondary with a core and wingdings that surround the charger section you get some loss in copper and the gap due to covering, but better than 90% transfer. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6856135/

• Informative
Reactions: DurandalAI
So with tesla now owning and integration two robot / automation makers, where do we consider the threat from Jia Yueting competing with tesla via Le Eco (Lucid Air Electric car) company and Midea group (Kuka robot company recently acquired from Germany) to stand in terms of the war for automation ?

Somebody pm'ed me this interesting cnbc writeup, knowing cnbc quality in regards to tesla reporting 'varies' take it with a grain of salt, but still very interesting.

In a nutshell looks like Jia Yueting was trying to be as agressive a leader as Elon, but his execution was not successful: Le Eco was supposed to be a marketing across many devices company, Faraday future was supposed to be the car company, Midea automation, and while I am sure Midea will successfully market the Kuka automation technology, the rest seems pretty damaged at this point, and the convoluted company structures with holdings and parent companies moving debt back and forth is no longer an easy thing in china: Skyrocketing tech firm LeEco set out to change the world. Its failure has changed China

For London and Paris the charging infrastructure is an issue indeed as for most cities in Europe excluding Norway and maybe NL: London is installing electric car charging stations inside lamp posts for street charging

But the main issue is a combination of charging infrastructure, availability of competitive EVs with decent Range, missing incentives and other...

Shanghai is very different in many aspects like available EVs and Government incentives to name two.

I wonder why EM visited Turkey at such a crucial time of M3 ramp up. He mentioned to work personally to fix issues at the GF as a sign of his commitment and certainly has better things to do this days. Must have been of extra importance to him...

Wild guess: does he maybe consider Turkey as a location for the European GF?

• Informative
Reactions: hobbes
I wonder why EM visited Turkey at such a crucial time of M3 ramp up. He mentioned to work personally to fix issues at the GF as a sign of his commitment and certainly has better things to do this days. Must have been of extra importance to him...

Wild guess: does he maybe consider Turkey as a location for the European GF?

I think the Turkey visit was SpaceX business.

Personally, I'd rather not see Musk associate with Erdogan, but I guess business is business.

Status
Not open for further replies.