Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of stuff is said, but I am highly skeptical that there will be a Tesla that is bellow the model 3. Now the model 3 gen 4 might be more affordable then today's version due to improvements in economies of scale, materials and batteries as well as automation, but Tesla is Iphone in this scenario and there is absolutely no reason to go down market as they will let other car companies fight over the Android market. You also have to figure that Autonomy and Mobility will impact demand for cars at the lower end, where it will be cheaper to use the Tesla network then own a honda civic. When you need a vehicle for a longer trip or to move something, then you can rent a truck or bigger vehicle from Turo. That car might still drive itself, but people will have nearly infinite choices from a small car all the way up to an autonomous semi truck. If you look at the current road map, S3XYR + Pickup is a tremendous amount of the market and more importantly, almost all of the market from 50k - 500k where 90% of the profit margins are. Let others fight over the scraps in $15-$35k market.

Tesla will make a car cheaper than Model 3 if and only if:

1. They have saturated the market at the price level of Model 3
2. Nobody else, or not enough companies, have moved into the cheaper bracket by then.

#1 means it will be a long time from now and #2 means it might not happen at all.

Tesla will make a car cheaper than Model 3 if and only if:

1. They have saturated the market at the price level of Model 3
2. Nobody else, or not enough companies, have moved into the cheaper bracket by then.

#1 means it will be a long time from now and #2 means it might not happen at all.
1. Price bracket of the model 3 and higher in all segments (pickups, Vans, trucks if all sizes etc.)

Reactions: neroden and EinSV
my brother sent this to me today....is this anything new? anyone have any thoughts or comments on this?

Tesla was under federal investigation over Model 3 and may still be, report says

The probe ended on 31-May-2017 with no enforcement action recommended.

It's much-ado-about-nothing. It's news of a long expired investigation that's being rehashed by the media as click-bait, likely inspired by those with anti-Tesla agendas. Companies generally do not publicly report such an investigation until after the SEC makes negative recommendations. Such was not the case here. This was good news for Tesla, not bad.

You can't make this sugar up. The fire near Santa Barbara is flaring up bad. Santa Barbara mans Montecito is trouble. North 101, the only major evac route to the north, is closed due a gas tanker truck that overturned last night. The gasoline that spilled ate away the asphalt. It's closed until CalTrans repave the freeway. Eff you Koch and everyone else propping oil and ICE!

Sorry for the slightly OT, but can you imagine the FUD if this was caused by an EV?!

You can't make this sugar up. The fire near Santa Barbara is flaring up bad. Santa Barbara mans Montecito is trouble. North 101, the only major evac route to the north, is closed due a gas tanker truck that overturned last night. The gasoline that spilled ate away the asphalt. It's closed until CalTrans repave the freeway. Eff you Koch and everyone else propping oil and ICE!

Sorry for the slightly OT, but can you imagine the FUD if this was caused by an EV?!

BUT IT WAS caused by an EV !

A Nissan Leaf was hypermiling at 20 mph in a 70 zone.
The truck came up too fast and flipped over!

/S

• Funny
Reactions: erthquake

It's much-ado-about-nothing. It's news of a long expired investigation that's being rehashed by the media as click-bait, likely inspired by those with anti-Tesla agendas. Companies generally do not publicly report such an investigation until after the SEC makes negative recommendations. Such was not the case here. This was good news for Tesla, not bad.

The Probes Reporter was a tad more ambivalent. https://probesreporter.com/sites/default/files/uploads/documents/DI - TSLA 2017-1214.pdf

https://probesreporter.com/sites/de...esla Motors - 2016-17 SEC Probe Documents.pdf

The SEC letter adds that the guidelines of a "Securities Act" require them to essentially state that nothing is ever final. It nevertheless appears to be de facto final more than six months after stating their intention not to recommend an enforcement action. Yet a reporter seeking to justify a click-bait article may still want to present the situation in an ambivalent light with negative undertones.

Last edited:
The SEC letter adds that the guidelines of a "Securities Act" require them to essentially state that nothing is ever final. It nevertheless appears to be de facto final more than six months after stating their intention not to recommend an enforcement action. Yet a reporter seeking to justify a click-bait article may still want to present the situation in an ambivalent light with negative undertones.

I concur about the CYA in the Securities Release No. 5310 disclaimer. But what do you make of:

"In its response to us of 07-Dec-2017, the SEC also blocked access to other records on Tesla on law enforcement grounds. That gives suggestion there is at least one other unresolved SEC probe. We will appeal this response."?

In your informed opinion as a former financial correspondent (or Anchor (?), does Probes Reporter have an anti-Tesla agenda?

I concur about the CYA in the Securities Release No. 5310 disclaimer. But what do you make of:

"In its response to us of 07-Dec-2017, the SEC also blocked access to other records on Tesla on law enforcement grounds. That gives suggestion there is at least one other unresolved SEC probe. We will appeal this response."?

In your informed opinion as a former financial correspondent (or Anchor (?), does Probes Reporter have an anti-Tesla agenda?

I doubt that's their basis. And they may be inferring too much regarding the SEC's later blockage, which again could be CYA for the SEC. I think it more likely that such discoveries suit the mission of the Probes Reporter and provide click-bait. The outlandish negativism in their headline suggests click-bait, but whether it also implies a biased agenda is hard to say. I go more with click-bait and attempting to appear to be aggressive reporters. It may be that some outsider who is anti-Tesla inspired Probes Reporter to look into the matter, or to get other publications to repeat the insinuations, which was the intended meaning of my earlier comment.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: notsosure
Tesla wooed by Hungary with tax breaks, report says

Szijjarto said Tesla executives responded "very positively to tax breaks linked to research and development and investments in Hungary, as well as the country's corporate tax rate, which at 9 percent is the lowest in the 28-member EU.

Audi is one of Hungary's biggest exporters and revenue earners and the company describes the Gyor engine plant as the world's largest, supplying more than 30 Volkswagen Group sites. Other major automakers in Hungary include German rival Daimler, PSA Group's Opel, and Suzuki Motor.

South Korea's SK Innovation said last month it would invest 840.2 billion won ($771.86 million) to build an electric vehicle battery plant in Hungary to meet demand from automakers in Europe.

I don't know... I am extremely skeptical we even have a chance at scoring this factory.

I don't know this (Hungarian) Reuters correspondent, but at least one his articles I've now checked out seemed to be extremely pro-current-government to put it mildly. That coupled with the fact that the Reuters article is taken over from MTI, the government run news agency (yeah, we have one), tells me this is sadly no more than government propaganda. We have elections in April.

Our government lacks real committment to EVs and our PM is kinda persona non grata in the EU. He is also known to bully corporations via our IRS when he needs extra money or wants his buddies to get a piece of the pie. Would Tesla really want to deal with that?

Besides all that though, we are really having a severe lack of trained workforce for a few years now. Most of the skilled workforce is already at work or moved to Western Europe for higher pay. The current automotive companies already have a hard time finding enough people.

Of course I'd love Tesla to bring the European factory here, but I see very little chance of that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.