Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly how TSLA traded after the solar roof event - opened higher, then sold off all day as analysts reported that there wasn't enough information on gross margins, costs etc. Apparently they don't know the difference between a public product unveiling and an investor/analyst conference.
It is exactly the same. Not enough actual specifications.

Freight essentially comes down to 3 main variables:
Cost of energy per mile - Check, just less than 2kwh/mile
Capital cost - No response, big problem
Tare weight - No response, big problem

Seriously good score on the Roadster though. That saved the event.

Wow.. that micdrop at the end by Mr Musk!

“Come on over! The hell with the barrier! Jump over the barrier!“

Best unveil event yet!

Clearly Elon delivered on the mind blowing if lunatic perma bears like Keef Wivaneff are sounding like fanbois. What's next, Mark BS putting down a deposit for a new Roadster? Not that he could afford it...

Don't be discouraged by today's price action. Gap open then drop on good news is typical. Happens on other stocks too. It could go down more or could come back to new high too. Short term market is heavily manipulated.

If you look at long term, the Semi can bring in about $40B gross margin each Year. Both Semi and the Roadster can have 50% gross margin. Tesla is definitely on it's way to become one of the largest companies in the world. Just don't blow your hard earned money on short term gamble. Focus on long term.

Don't be discouraged by today's price action. Gap open then drop on good news is typical. Happens on other stocks too. It could go down more or could come back to new high too. Short term market is heavily manipulated.

If you look at long term, the Semi can bring in about $40B gross margin each Year. Both Semi and the Roadster can have 50% gross margin. Tesla is definitely on it's way to become one of the largest companies in the world. Just don't blow your hard earned money on short term gamble. Focus on long term.
Best post of the day. Listen to him/her, people!

• Helpful
Reactions: MitchJi and Runarbt

The market may be waiting to see M3 volume production bringing in cash so they're confident that the semi and hamster will have funding to go to production, so I think it's wise to not expect too much in the short term, everything still hinges on the M3 ramp, the only thing changed is now there is more hinging on it.

Hi guys, first post here!

I have to say, having followed both TSLA and this forum for the past few years, today's SP action is no surprise to me and only helps confirm the painful lesson that the only factor driving this stock - either up or down - is confirmed financial impact. I consider myself a strong long (common stock only, nothing fancy), but I do on occasion attempt to sell high and buy low ("attempt" is the key word here) in order to increase my position with limited funds.

That said, post Q3 ER I sold about 30% of my position at around $305 expecting the SP to keep drifting downwards for a while and hoping for a drop in the 280s. I knew the Semi event is coming, and based on Elon's signals I was expecting something nice, but I chose to not trade into it. The event was better than my expectations and I'm super-excited about the announcements. My wife too seemed disturbed by my reactions, particularly when the Roadster drove out of the back of the Semi. BUT! I fully expect this won't affect the stock price short-term, even with follow-up announcements of solid orders for the Semi and/or Roadster, simply because these products will materialise (and have a positive impact on the company's financials) too far into the future and most investors probably doubt the specifications announced during the event anyway.

In my opinion, the stock price will continue moving sideways or even drifting down until the end of the year, and any negative rumour on the production issues with the Model 3 (including analyst reports) will cause further drops. I really want to hope that Elon took a pessimistic view when explaining the problems they face with the battery pack assembly and the expected time necessary for solving them, but experience tells me he was still probably optimistic on the timeline. One thousand cars per week by year end would be brilliant and a strong signal things are finally turning around, but it may take the market longer to react.

Also, one major take-away from the event for me: 200kWh battery pack in the Roadster? Get ready for some major news on battery technology improvements coming to the S and X sooner rather than later!

Any chance you could share your math to come up with 50% GM on the semi and 40B of GM on it?

Reactions: Runarbt

Totally agree
Monthly chart looks stellar. 9 more trading days and we’ll be in the clear
This is checkmate to shorts
The game is now longs’ to lose
I like the charts and am not at all worried

Totally agree
Monthly chart looks stellar. 9 more trading days and we’ll be in the clear
This is checkmate to shorts
The game is now longs’ to lose
I like the charts and am not at all worried
Can you post some charts which show a five year history? This would be illustrative of the growth potential and that current, last few months price, was merely a blip.

bringing in cash so they're confident that the semi and hamster will have funding to go to production

That’s how it’s doing 1.9 0-60! Hamsters!
mOCnL

Last edited:
Generally it's difficult to make money on out of money short term calls, especially if the premium is very high. You could if something very special is revealed tonight.

When I really want to make a short term directional bet, I use spread instead of simple Calls or Puts.

With one exception, when all the starts are aligned perfectly, I go with Calls only. That may happen once in a few years on each stock.

"Buy the rumor, sell the news" is a phenomenon that has a valid reason, and it happens frequently. I would try to avoid it.
With the way Tesla makes fast irrational dips, often on macro news and things, I disagree that it's hard to make money on slightly OTM calls. 2 weeks seems to be plenty of time to recover the dip back into the normal trading range. At least the last few weeks this has been very profitable for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: MitchJi
Status
Not open for further replies.