Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting and new use case ..
Along with transmission, the battery pack will need to support the refrigeration for the whole trip ?...

Aren't the refrigeration units on most trailers self-powered? (They have their own fuel supply on the trailer.)

I'm not saying that Tesla couldn't provide power for refrigeration units, I'm just saying I don't think that is how current trailers are setup.

Reactions: neroden
Along with transmission, the battery pack will need to support the refrigeration for the whole trip ?...

Refrigerated trailers typically have their own diesel engine to run the cooling system. This allows them to stay cold while at the loading dock. Electric versions are being introduced Thermo King Michigan

You may do it differently in the US, but why would you transport finished beer in a refrigerated truck? Isn't this just transport to wholesales locations?

Not that it is not an interesting thought, I work in the dairy industry and I hadn't speculated on it until now.

Refrigerated trailers typically have their own diesel engine to run the cooling system. This allows them to stay cold while at the loading dock. Electric versions are being introduced Thermo King Michigan
I've been looking into this and most of the electric units are only designed for stationary use (?!?). There is still a market for Tesla to move in on -- refrigerated containers with BIG batteries. (If I were Tesla, I'd do containers, which can ride on trailers, trains, or ships/barges, rather than trailers, just for maximum market.)

Battery shortage caused by Tesla--- I haven't seen much about this on the forums, am I missing something? Seems like the reason Tesla stock moving up yesterday and even today. https://gizmodo.com/report-tesla-could-be-hogging-batteries-and-causing-a-1821051084 Pretty awesome when you think about it. Where will any of the Tesla "killers" come from if they can't get batteries. And in a shortage, their price will only go up.

Battery shortage caused by Tesla--- I haven't seen much about this on the forums, am I missing something? Seems like the reason Tesla stock moving up yesterday and even today. https://gizmodo.com/report-tesla-could-be-hogging-batteries-and-causing-a-1821051084 Pretty awesome when you think about it. Where will any of the Tesla "killers" come from if they can't get batteries. And in a shortage, their price will only go up.

Since Tesla makes their *own* batteries, once the GF ramps up they'll have little dependency on other suppliers anyway.

Reactions: madodel
Status
Not open for further replies.