Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Thursday there were total of 127k shares available for borrowing at Fidelity (8:12am). All of these shares and additional 15k shares that likely were covered in pre-market trading were depleted by 2:07pm. Overall Thursday was net shorting day with net 127k shorted.

Today Fidelity made about 462k shares available for shorting in pre-market. By the time market opened 228K shares were borrowed and 2K were covered (as caught by the trading screen snapshot). This is higher short selling activity then in the last several days.

snap1.png

Last Thursday there were total of 127k shares available for borrowing at Fidelity (8:12am). All of these shares and additional 15k shares that likely were covered in pre-market trading were depleted by 2:07pm. Overall Thursday was net shorting day with net 127k shorted.

Today Fidelity made about 462k shares available for shorting in pre-market. By the time market opened 228K shares were borrowed and 2K were covered (as caught by the trading screen snapshot). This is higher short selling activity then in the last several days.

View attachment 223229

How do you think this affects short-term price action? What's your interpretation of this data?

How do you think this affects short-term price action? What's your interpretation of this data?
Seems pretty straightforward to me - the big drawdown is a big push to try to paint the weekend news in a dark light - as seen by being $4 in the red right now. Suspect they'll run out of ammo and we creep up through the day to finish around breakeven.

Seems pretty straightforward to me - the big drawdown is a big push to try to paint the weekend news in a dark light - as seen by being $4 in the red right now. Suspect they'll run out of ammo and we creep up through the day to finish around breakeven.

FYI - My largest broker shows no available shares to short. We may see a creep up in cost to short in the coming days. A potential short squeeze may start following that. These are all low-probability events though, just so everyone knows and doesn't just go out there and load up on margin and call options.

Reactions: neroden
So guys what do you expect on Monday and next week ?
I feel like we're going to have a great week, with a possible break through the 320 by Friday.

There has been a lot of discussion on this board recently comparing current price action with March/April 2013 (myself included). My reasons for this 'speculation' is simply that the chart formations are too similar to ignore - but not yet similar enough to confirm. Should we continue to follow a similar pattern, your estimate is likely very good, and we could easily end the week at least at a new ATH. As I have posted previously, we would need to close at-or-above our new ATH of 313ish - preferably by the end of this week - and then approach the earnings release with increasing ATH's through next week. The price action we are seeing today which is building even more support and a larger foundation above the previous ATH and 300 is very supportive of this trend. This is only from a chart perspective. Many here have suggested the technicals certainly seem to support the potential for this action, and the news/tweets continue to support this concept. Thus I personally feel we will continue to to follow this trend unless macros decide otherwise.

Hoping you could also share your reasoning for the rise to 320 this week

• Informative
Reactions: SunCatcher
There has been a lot of discussion on this board recently comparing current price action with March/April 2013 (myself included). My reasons for this 'speculation' is simply that the chart formations are too similar to ignore - but not yet similar enough to confirm. Should we continue to follow a similar pattern, your estimate is likely very good, and we could easily end the week at least at a new ATH. As I have posted previously, we would need to close at-or-above our new ATH of 313ish - preferably by the end of this week - and then approach the earnings release with increasing ATH's through next week. The price action we are seeing today which is building even more support and a larger foundation above the previous ATH and 300 is very supportive of this trend. This is only from a chart perspective. Many here have suggested the technicals certainly seem to support the potential for this action, and the news/tweets continue to support this concept. Thus I personally feel we will continue to to follow this trend unless macros decide otherwise.

Hoping you could also share your reasoning for the rise to 320 this week

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

My reasoning doesn't have as much " reason " as one would like. However it's based on the fact that Tesla seems to be on a positive path : deliveries have beaten expectations, Tencent invested in Tesla, M3 is on its way, Elon Musk seems confident.. So I feel like positive certitude might surround the investors and ultimately drive the SP higher than ever.

If no bad news about Tesla, and macro behaves well. This should be good.

Anybody have an update on Fidelity availability? Certainly looks like they're starting to run out of steam.

My Fidelity shares are unborrowed. My interpretation is that however many shares Fidelity says are available, they have a large pool of shares out of the Fully Paid Lending Program that they aren't currently using. If they start drawing on those, I would expect to see the cost to open a new short position to rise from 1% to 1.5%.

It looks to me like there are lots of shares that can be drawn upon should the shorts have the desire to borrow them.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and EinSV
2 words. Tax day.

Back to Tesla, There are a lot of developments happening in Asia (specifically in China) that the media hasn't picked up on, and Tesla isn't highlighting. Most of these developments are visible if you walk throughout the right districts. Also, after a bit of research, I think there is a small chance "blue star" is more than a code name.

If Tesla releases a production ready model of a Tesla Truck, and has found a way to produce some quantity by April or May 2018, Tesla will dominate the Truck and shipping market in the near future. I've spoken with people who work in the insurance industry. Many are skeptical about an EV future, because of Trucks. Their main reason for being skeptical about Tesla is Trucks. The way contracts for Trucks work a different than for normal vehicles. Also, the way Trucks are insured is a bit different. If Tesla has found a way to overcome these hurdles, it will silence all nay Sayers.

Note: Broad market factors are still a big concern, speficially the debt ceiling. Normallly the republicans try to duke it out with the republicans to get certain concessions. This time it's the GOP vs. the members of the GOP who are completely oppposed to raising the debt ceiling. Congress will only have 4-5 days to work out a "deal". Normally in the event of a shutdown, agencies are eventually repaid. However, a Trump has not shown he is willing to repay state agencies back for costs that should have been the responsibility of the Federal Government, and in some cases expenses that Trump should have been forced to personally pay for.

Note : In my view, There should be a law, or a constitutional amendment that says the US president and his Family must live in the whitehouse. If the US president opts to live elsewhere, all expenses incurred, (including secret service costs) are his personal responsibility. I hope a lot of republicans are outraged at the amount of taxpayer money that is being used to subsidize Trump's choices, and use this as leverage when trying to work out a budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.