Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
240 won't happen unless catastrophic macro or M3 launch events.
Post MS and MX dip happened because Tesla profitability was still a long way off...
Now it's right at the corner.

MS and MX are like the ipod for Apple. M3 is the iphone basically.
Now if only AAPL would follow TSLA back up. Unlike the rest of you who seem to all be 180% invested in TSLA, some of us have been milking other cows for a while and hate to see them go dry.

With the last squeeze in 2013, if that was a squeeze, it took about 4 months before it dropped for a couple of months then backup for 4 more months or so. Was that a squeeze or just a regular run up? the stock went from 40 to 240 in that 8-9 month time period.

If I had a nickel for every time this was debated. Here is the definative answer:

squeeze_cartoon.JPG

I don't consider that a squeeze; I've previously stated that the 2013 runup was a rally which was partly a short-covering rally, but not a true VW-style squeeze.

Wow, then I wonder what a squeeze will look like. That was 6x in 9 months or so, VW was 200 to 1000 and back down to 500 in about 14 days. So 5x in a day or two. I think I see the difference.. So what do you do, put in sells in 20% increments at 800,1000,1200,1400 and 1600? then Buys in 20% increments at 800,700.. etc.

Now if only AAPL would follow TSLA back up. Unlike the rest of you who seem to all be 180% invested in TSLA, some of us have been milking other cows for a while and hate to see them go dry.

I'm barely 60% invested in TSLA tbh, and if you're willing to wait 5-10 years, I think APPL still has an entire other reserve of milk in it... maybe even 2...

Last edited:
You mean in next 5,10,15,20 years That make me felt that I could not only retire early but will have a luxury life style as well as fund for all my kids' private schools. WOW! I like it.

3-4 trillion, in 15 years yes.
After that we'll slowly approach a world where money won't matter anymore (because of AI doing everything better than a human), and so the stock market will probably disappear....

The MX drop from end of Dec 2015 to mid Feb 2016 included the effect of the Feb 2016 overall market drop. The additional 33% drop you're preparing for would be equivalent to the 2008 housing bubble drop. It's possible but not likely within the next 1-2 years IMO, but I'm all shares, no options/margin, so I'm ready for that kind of drop too. But we'll see how my stomach holds up if it actually happens.

Just had a chance to look this up. The '08-09 drop was about 50%. For those using margin or other leverage, I still think a moat to withstand 33% based on just irrationally falling temporarily because of a bear market is advisable. I get that some may not like this, I don't like it... but not sure why one would disagree with this.

I prefer a short covering rally, followed by a 4x short squeeze, where I sell at the top, and buy back when it's down again :D

I think that is the source of all the short squeeze interest. Mark this as "funny" if you have fantasized about riding a leveraged position to the top of a VW type squeeze, selling at the tippy top, going long on puts then selling them 2 days later when things return to earth, thus making a mint on both sides of the spike.

the rate hike is not such a big deal, i feel the problem is in here:
With rates on the rise, the Fed has said that it will soon begin to dismantle the last part of its post-crisis economic stimulus campaign by reducing its portfolio of more than $4 trillion in Treasuries and mortgage-backed securities. On Wednesday it described its plans, though not the exact timing.

The Fed said it would initially reduce its holdings by $10 billion a month for three months, divided 60-40 between Treasuries and mortgage bonds. It will then increase the pace by $10 billion every three months, maintaining the same division, until the reduction reaches $50 billion a month.

imo no way the fed can remove trillions of dollars of liquidity from our financial system without causing some meltdowns. it won't happen overnight. heck even in 6-9 months they will have only removed < $200 billion of 4 trillion. but as we go further out in time beyond that, some sort of liquidity crunch should develop. it will be into 2019 before they even cross the trillion dollar mark, so not like this is an imminent threat.

Yeah, the expected .25% rate hike:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/us/politics/federal-reserve-meeting-interest-rates.html?_r=0

Not sure why the market reacted. Probably just getting off of the sidelines more than excitement.

Wow, then I wonder what a squeeze will look like. That was 6x in 9 months or so, VW was 200 to 1000 and back down to 500 in about 14 days. So 5x in a day or two. I think I see the difference.. So what do you do, put in sells in 20% increments at 800,1000,1200,1400 and 1600? then Buys in 20% increments at 800,700.. etc.
Hmm, that's definitely an idea. Frankly I don't know. I'm bad at short term!

240 won't happen unless catastrophic macro or M3 launch events.
Post MS and MX dip happened because Tesla profitability was still a long way off...
Now it's right at the corner.

MS and MX are like the ipod for Apple. M3 is the iphone basically.

Even with the MS and MX problems in 2013 and 2015-16 respectively, the drop is TSLA recovered within 2-3 months, so I'm not at all worried about it. If M3 ramp/profitability is delayed by a quarter, who cares.

Macro worries me more. Even with the iPhone, AAPL dropped from 28 to 13 in 2008, and didn't come back until a year later in 2009, so one needs to be prepared to ride out a dip of 1-2 years. Even if you own LEAP it may not be completely safe. Even if it's all stocks, what if one lose his/her job? Can one ride out 1-2 years without being forced to sell stocks?

the rate hike is not such a big deal, i feel the problem is in here:
With rates on the rise, the Fed has said that it will soon begin to dismantle the last part of its post-crisis economic stimulus campaign by reducing its portfolio of more than $4 trillion in Treasuries and mortgage-backed securities. On Wednesday it described its plans, though not the exact timing.

The Fed said it would initially reduce its holdings by $10 billion a month for three months, divided 60-40 between Treasuries and mortgage bonds. It will then increase the pace by $10 billion every three months, maintaining the same division, until the reduction reaches $50 billion a month.

imo no way the fed can remove trillions of dollars of liquidity from our financial system without causing some meltdowns. it won't happen overnight. heck even in 6-9 months they will have only removed < $200 billion of 4 trillion. but as we go further out in time beyond that, some sort of liquidity crunch should develop. it will be into 2019 before they even cross the trillion dollar mark, so not like this is an imminent threat.
Fed accounting bears little resemblance to reality. When the Fed buys Treasuries or mortgage bonds, what is it paying for them with, specifically? When it sells them, what is it getting paid with? I don't think it's actually affecting the circulating count of Federal Reserve Notes.

Anyway, the short-term effect will be a crush in the price of T-bills (rising yields) and likewise rising yields on mortgage bonds. This should cause some rotation out of stocks. The longer-term effect is harder to gauge because most liquidity is created by banks or shadow banks, and it's very shadowy. Will we see the return of questionable products like "money market funds" being advertised as "as good as money"? Probably. I'm not sure what sector they'll come out of.

In 1929 a lot of banks were either heavily invested in stocks or were lending money to brokerages, meaning that a stock market drop caused bank failures. Right now, this is true again -- and in addition a large part of the stock market is banking stocks, meaning that a bank failure will cause a stock market drop (as in 2008). That's not a good combination, because it causes a positive-feedback-loop collapse. Industrials get hit quickly if they can't refinance, so I actually hope Tesla will issue more stock now and reduce its need for lending (although Tesla's already quite unleveraged).

The lending of money from banks to other banks or to brokerages is a form of money creation. When there's less high-powered (Fed) money this sort of thing happens more, to make up the difference.

Just thinking, no conclusions here...

Perhaps one possibility is Chinese liquidity. Ready to be paid in renminbi? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.