Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesse Livermore recommended waiting for the price movement to actually start before investing or trading
Yeah,

I saw $375 as the take off point. And thought about waiting to buy.

Then could not find a better place to put the money. So moved to all in without waiting for the trigger event.

Agreeing with the Tesla mission statement is a constant buy gradient.

Reactions: LoL Rick
I don't think price is the main issue. I think you could show TCO and residual value would make them pretty close. I think it's partially the fwd and how unique and flashy they are. But also the size. It's small compared to some of the bigger vehicles. Sure you can seat 7 but no luggage it gear. One area where there is no comparison is the MX P100D, there just isn't anything like it in that category. Maybe the M version of the X6 is close but it's very expensive as well. G wagon is great for off road and I don't think Tesla really plays there with the X. I know there are some videos, but there is no way I'm taking mine of road. There is just more diversity in that market segment, it's hard door one vehicle to fill those diverse roles where I think the S has an easier time comparing favorably with all the large lux sedans. Another huge advantage of S/X is safety. As Elon says, you really, really have to try to kill yourself in these cars. 300 feet, or whatever, down a ravine and walk away mostly unscathed.

Want to tow a large boat for 500 miles at a pop and have your large family and gear, the X won't cut it.

W.r.t Chinese market, with the one child policy which has been in place since the 70s, and is just starting to be phased out, large family isn't really that prevalent. Also consider the urban housing location and space, IMO large houses which usually come with trailers and gears are also not as wide-spread in China.

W.r.t Chinese market, with the one child policy which has been in place since the 70s, and is just starting to be phased out, large family isn't really that prevalent. Also consider the urban housing location and space, IMO large houses which usually come with trailers and gears are also not as wide-spread in China.

I am pretty sure that the US is the biggest market for large SUVs, but I could see China competing for that honor sooner then later if it does not already. I have read that Model X is actually very popular there, but I have no idea if that is true. That brings me back to a question that I cant seem to find the answer to and this weather Tesla opening a factory there allows them to import a certain percent of the product sold and avoid the import taxes. Lets say Tesla builds a super gigafactory there that produces Cars, Solar and Batteries and they sell 1-2 million cars that are manufactured there, does that mean they can bring in 200,000? Can they bring in cars with no batteries and finish them in China for the Chinese market? Not that they couldn't build them there, I think they would be smart to focus on 3 and Y factories in China/India and of course a Y factory in the US.

I dunno - would announcing another GF right now, this close to the launch of 3 be seen as a good thing, or yet another distraction from the goal?

Well TSLA is a growth stock. And China is the largest car market in the world. Tesla will have a waiver on the 25% import tariff.

M3 build out and ramp is completely separate and unaffected

Reactions: farzyness
This is such a juicy setup.

Cons:
  • Just a rumor really.
  • We may be right but the reaction isn't right. No one sees it or cares until next week.

Pros:
  • We already know that they are supposed to announce some locations this year.
  • China is an obvious first choice, and best choice
  • We already know that the market loves this rumor. We were at 383 on the rumor. they should love the fact.
  • China is pushing heavily for BEV's and relaxing the rules in some cases, lending credibility to the rumor
  • We have established a base from 370-375. Upper daily BB is at 394...

Last edited:
The least we can say is that the market doesn't care about this china deal, the SP is basically flat.

Or maybe without this deal we would be -3% today ?

Why do you consider the news "out"? It's just another round of rumors, and the market seems cool on the 4th, 5th version of this rumor which is reasonable. What we are talking about is the "fact" coming out tonight. (maybe)

This is such a juicy setup.

Cons:
  • Just a rumor really.

Pros:
  • We already know that they are supposed to announce some locations this year.
  • China is an obvious first choice, and best choice
  • We already know that the market loves this rumor. We were at 383 on the rumor. they should love the fact.
  • China is pushing heavily for BEV's and relaxing the rules in some cases, lending credibility to the rumor
  • We have established a base from 370-375. Upper daily BB is at 394...
Completely agree. I rarely do the weekly call thing but I love the risk/reward ratio of this. I don't see the China Daily news article anywhere yet (other than here) so the mainstream news outlets may not have seen it yet. It is bigger news than the rumour in Bloomberg Monday and that one got lots of play and a stock jump to match.

I dunno - would announcing another GF right now, this close to the launch of 3 be seen as a good thing, or yet another distraction from the goal?

One can never tell how the market will take a piece of news, but I see this one as Tesla moving along its Master Plan, Part Deux, as expected.

What I'm really interested in hearing is the production capacity of the Gigafactory in China. That can potentially surprise.

Reactions: MitchJi
Status
Not open for further replies.