Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally do not want a short squeeze either tbh...

On the "lost as to what to do" part: I will continue to add shares until $1,000 as SP rise moves my margin percentage from moderate to conservative to minimal. In other words, I'll be keeping my portfolio's weighting on TSLA very high until the market approaches my view of Tesla.

I've zero cash to add for the foreseeable future, but have a decent position and already over 2x on my investments.

As I always said, if it shoots up suddenly and my GTC order triggers to make me a millionaire, then fine - will use some of the cash and re-invest the rest on the way back down. If it never comes down, well I'm still quite well-off, thank you.

But all this is a bit pie-in-the-sky dreaming...

Any specific reason for $10+ rise in one hour ?
Yesterday on the Bond-issue news it went side-ways all day, and I can't find what major view may have changed overnight...

Lots of news out. One upgrade to $444 / 700,000 annual production rate for M3? / Gigafactory now producing more lion batteries than any other factory in the world / ~5% rate on new $1.5 billion dollar cash borrowing.

Last edited:
This was posted yesterday Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter

Short Squeeze price target ? atleast 500+ ... else its just a bear hug :)

I would expect $500 to be reached before a short squeeze starts as shorts can continue to slowly cover positions for the near future.

What's going on today is not a short squeeze...

Short squeeze is like love: You'll feel it when it happens.

Multiple personalities at work? :confused::eek:

Short "squeeze" is when shorts are FORCED to cover their positions.

They have been slowly covering their positions to keep the absolute amount at ~$10 billion - I guess to limit their exposure?

This is not a short squeeze, but I believe it's the initial stages.

Here's a prediction: The start of a potential short squeeze will be marked by Jim Chanos covering his position.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceCash and erha
I think that fits within the apparently documented 53 and 78 kWh numbers.

With the model 3 being more of an every person type of car, the extra 3Kwh could be a reserve tank of sorts. I know my Model X has at least 10 miles when the range hits 0. 3KWh would allow for around 15 miles of rated after the batter hits 0. Maybe they got tired of being called out when an 85KWh pack only had 79KWh usable. There could also be a bit of a buffer at 100% where the battery can never actually charge to 100% and instead maxes out of 98%. This would help prolong the life of the battery. My understanding is that for the EPA tests, they run them until the car stops and wont go, which means they do not stop at 0 rated miles on screen, but they go until the car shuts down.

Reactions: WarpedOne
It looks like we are having a bit of a squeeze, but I really don't want the stock price to shoot up until late September, as I will have an influx of capital coming in at that point which will enable me to increase my position by 50% over what I have currently, so each dollar the SP goes up, my purchasing power is decreased. Even if the price is at $400 by that time, I will still purchase, however.

Sorry! :)

I think a "short squeeze" is when all the shorts are trying to exit at the same time.

Today's rise (and indeed many of the jumps we have seen since the ER) could be attributed to one large short exiting after another. e.g. Jim Chanos. Shorts don't phone each other up and coordinate their exits. They don't let anyone know they're exiting until they have finished the process, which can take a whole day or more. When they're all trying to do it at the same time is when the stock shoots up. I would personally like the TSLA short squeeze to be like the DRYS short squeeze last year :)

400 late September.
Hmm, any chance you can get your hands on that money sooner?
I'd love to, but it's not in the cards. About the only thing I can do to speed things up at all is to make sure I get it via transfer instead of check, which will take 7 days to clear at that amount.. So, I can at least do that, but that's all I can do. The rest is determined by some people in Washington DC. lol.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
400 late September.
Hmm, any chance you can get your hands on that money sooner?
TSLA is only 5% off the all-time high at the moment (and has climbed 18% since $311 on Wednesday pre-ER).

There is a very good chance it could be $400 by the end of this week! $400 is only an additional 9% over where it's at right now.

The spike up on DRYS; I would just prefer it not drop back down so quickly. ;)
If it spikes like it did during the DRYS squeeze... you have to sell high, no doubts about it... and come back later after the squeeze is done. I think the definition of a short squeeze is a big spike. It mostly returns to the neighborhood it started from.

I suppose the 2013 TSLA squeeze was another variety :)

Another update:

"The company could wind up paying no more than 5 percent on the junk-rated bonds, the people said, asking not to be identified because the discussions are confidential."

Musk Revs Up Tesla Bond Buyers by Selling Them Debt With a Dream
  • Company’s $1.5 billion offering said to be in strong demand
  • Investors lured by ‘halo effect’ ignore record cash burn
Imagine how slick the SCTY model would have been paying rates like this. Imagine the model when TSLA(auto) is wildly profitable.

A shame I had to see so many SCTY LEAPS go un-executed, but at least we're getting there. The tide is turning quite rapidly.

Reactions: neroden and erha
Status
Not open for further replies.