Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what I worry about the most:

Trump is a randomizing factor that can cause havoc or overall be ok, especially when the focus shifts from subsidizing fossil fuels to supporting all american manufacturing . Some of his assignments into offices are the worst case, i.e. EPA. Not sure how much of that is him or the republican party around Pence. But there also is Peter Thiel and the board of advisors including Musk for SpaceX that could swing away from stubborn fossil fuel support towards what makes economic sense, i.e. innovation on renewables and transportation. The thing that I see as the most threat to Tesla politically is if Trump gets impeached, but Pence stays to be the president, and he may just not care about Thiels input and private sector driven innovation but rather go back to supporting existing strongholds of power suppressing private sector innovation, i.e. military, fossil fuel exploitation, big established space technology companies that got fat contracts before instead of trying hard to innovate to lower cost.
Reads like a hit piece. Don't let your hate for anything Trump cloud your jugegment. The share price since election does not support your clouded judgement.

• Disagree
Reactions: MitchJi
Short Tesla Motors Inc? Ivanhoe Mines Ltd CEO Robert Friedland and the Coming Cobalt Cliff - Midas Letter | Canadian and U.S. Business News, Investing, and Commentary

This seems untrustworthy to me. Yes, Tesla is the *only* one building a factory of the scale of the gigafactory.

Cobalt *is* the most problematic raw material Tesla needs to source, but I just can't imagine Tesla having that much problem with it when they're the #1 consumer.

Also, their assertion that LG is the #1 Li battery manufacturer, with SamsungSDI and Panasonic 2nd and 3rd is demonstrably false. Panasonic is #1, by a factor of 3, over BYD and LG, with SamsungSDI a distant 5th, at 1/9th of Panasonic's capacity.

Top EV Battery Producers (2015 vs 2014 Top 10 List)

Last edited:
Short Tesla Motors Inc? Ivanhoe Mines Ltd CEO Robert Friedland and the Coming Cobalt Cliff - Midas Letter | Canadian and U.S. Business News, Investing, and Commentary

This seems untrustworthy to me. Yes, Tesla is the *only* one building a factory of the scale of the gigafactory.

Cobalt *is* the most problematic raw material Tesla needs to source, but I just can't imagine Tesla having that much problem with it when they're the #1 consumer.

Yes, and they spelled out their completely revolutionary way of acquiring raw materials to build packs - negotiating directly with mines, not going to the commodities markets - literally years ago. I think Tesla has already sewn up this issue way ahead of the "will Lithium supplies dry up?" articles in the press, and it simply won't be a problem as the ramp-up goes into 2018 - even with Elon's revelation that GF1 may produce triple the GWh they'd originally planned. Will take the skeptics a long time to realise it though.

Reactions: neroden and Wenche
I feel for ya, it's just like my NVDA Jan-27 110s. That's how ops run. At 90% loss I'd be tempted to just call it a 100% loss and hope for luck in the next few days, if it's play money...

I think the decision should be based on how much the little remaining value effects you in the big picture. If the dollar amount means something to you, exit soon and optimize the exit. If it's small enough that you can laugh about it, ride it out and hope for a miracle.

I think the practical approach is just optimize the exit and make it up with another trade. TSLA will treat you well in the long term.

I grew pretty thick skin over the last couple years so I just do what needs to be done and move on. "Optimize the exit" pretty much was setting a limit sell and waiting for it to catch on. I already have written those off a while ago so getting a bit back was a nice surprise.

I drew the channel (blue lines) on this daily TSLA chart almost 2 weeks ago. Obviously there is some variability in how people go about doing this but it is quite satisfying to see the upper bollinger band , and 8-day SMA conform more closely to this channel as time progresses. Certainly brings home to me the saying 'trend is your friend'.
Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 8.53.15 PM.png

Morgan Stanley Adam Jonas upgrade bodes well for tomorrow's open :)

Upgrading to OW on Shorter Delay on Model 3, PT to $305

We are upgrading Tesla to OW from EW and raising our price target to $305 from $242. Drivers include less cautious Model 3 volume, an acceleration in our EV market assumptions, reduced efforts by tech firms manufacturing cars and a surprisingly supportive political environment

If the share price actually opens ~$245, which is where it is premarket right now, then every short is underwater that has shorted any time since April 29th 2016 when the stock had a high of $248. This does not prevent them from hanging on but that is a LOT of shorts underwater and starting to feel pain with a lot of unknowns coming up this year that might not be in their favor. Many of them will tell themselves "I'll cover here and reshort when it's higher."

This does not prevent new shorts from coming in, in fact I expect it. IF enough bulls buy in and enough old shorts cover these new shorts will become quickly underwater, also.

Another dynamic not in our favor is that any bull who bought in above $245 may be looking to sell now that they are back at breakeven. However, if they've been holding on since April or longer they will probably continue to hold. If they were the type to sell at this point most of them probably already sold at a loss.

Hmm. Not sure if this will hold through open but if it does I'll look for a big dip before reentry. Thinking back down to mid to high 230's by tomorrow or Monday. Today, boat already missed. Buy on the rumor and sell on the news. Great day to take profits.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tenable
I think this break above $240 is significant - I pointed out a few weeks ago that there are momentum traders tweeting that a break above $240 would have them back in $TSLA - assuming it holds during regular trading hours.

Additionally, the always wished for "short squeeze" has a much better chance of coming to fruition as the stock approaches all time highs. The short interest in $TSLA is very high relative to shares outstanding. Any type of sharp upward move as the stock approaches ATHs may cascade in to some large short covering volume (as opposed to a slow upward movement wherein short positions can be unwound in a more orderly fashion).

Interesting times indeed.

Mike

Hmm. Not sure if this will hold through open but if it does I'll look for a big dip before reentry. Thinking back down to mid to high 230's by tomorrow or Monday. Today, boat already missed. Buy on the rumor and sell on the news. Great day to take profits.

But there was no rumor for the news to be sold upon. Adam Jonas just upgraded TSLA and the shorts are rightfully wetting themselves. Up 10 dollars now.

Status
Not open for further replies.