Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This pullback was much overdue and is very healthy for TSLA moving forward. Weak momentum longs are selling and true believers who had been looking for an opportunity to buy are getting in. I suspect shorts understand this and, now terrified of potential M3 July production will cover aggressively when they suspect the downward momentum is petering out. It probably won't take more than a few days. I suspect a very strong open Monday morning as the true believers work up the courage to buy over the weekend.

During our run up, the stock hovered around 250 for a while.... looks like that's pretty good support now. Granted, I'm not thrilled with the fact we are there, but I think this is a pretty strong support level.

Agree. I like today's first hour. A green close today bodes well for next week, a break into the 240's indicates look out below and in between = market still deciding(IMO). 250 is the number to watch for today.

Beating or matching other major car makers' stocks on a market down day. Could be a good sign that the post-ER dip is going to be temporary. Was looking at $252 to dip another toe in. Oh well I have enough shares, if it never sees $252 again it wouldn't be the end of the world
As of writing - TSLA is the only major automaker traded on US markets in the green today.

I was thinking about why the stock has come down after an ER that had two major positive announcements - Model 3 on schedule, and 20+% margins by year end! I think Tesla Energy was the problem. There were articles talking about the different large installations Tesla had done in California and elsewhere, and I think investors were hoping for significant revenue. The fact that Tesla had a negative quarter with TE ramping up may have been the problem. If Tesla had reported positive earnings off the back of TE, we would be at 300 right now.

Beating or matching other major car makers' stocks on a market down day. Could be a good sign that the post-ER dip is going to be temporary. Was looking at $252 to dip another toe in. Oh well I have enough shares, if it never sees $252 again it wouldn't be the end of the world
Looks like I could have let my Feb 24 $250 short puts expire, but I decided to buy them back for pennies just out of conservatism. I'm not sure I *really* want to put more in at that price level, and maybe it's best to have some cash in case of a future further dip...

I was thinking about why the stock has come down after an ER that had two major positive announcements - Model 3 on schedule, and 20+% margins by year end! I think Tesla Energy was the problem. There were articles talking about the different large installations Tesla had done in California and elsewhere, and I think investors were hoping for significant revenue. The fact that Tesla had a negative quarter with TE ramping up may have been the problem. If Tesla had reported positive earnings off the back of TE, we would be at 300 right now.

The reason the stock came down is that there hadn't been a pullback since the Spiegel bottom. The market was looking for any excuse. What actually mattered was the Model 3 update, and with that being absolutely positive we should be moving higher again after this brief intermission.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Elon Musk in his letter to employees regarding equity compensation:

"A four year period is used because that’s the vesting length of a new hire equity grant. I believe the equity gain over the next four years will be similar."

Four years ago TSLA was at around $45, so he's predicting TSLA $1250 in four years, which is incidentally very close to what his friend Ron Baron predicted. Very interesting indeed.

Edit: math

But that only makes sense if you are actually looking to sell your shares. Which may be the case. Market opened at $251. Would have been a good opportunity to sell. But your shares and puts, not mine, so do what you want.
I'm going to buy back in. I may buy some ahead of closing today just prior to the market closing. I'm long TSLA. I'm doing what so many other try to do...time the market.

Wow. What a fight back going on today. $250 up to $257

I have to admit I was looking into selling this morning, convinced there would be another 2-3 percent loss. I would have been right for about half an hour...

I bought some calls at around SP 251 as day trading material and sold them on the move to 253.... oops left a lot on the table!

Nasdaq is recovering nicely, hoping for a green open on Monday....

Hopefully this doesn't involve a felis mortuus .... I'm sticking to the belief that 250 is pretty strong support.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: austinEV
I believe this current downtrend is caused by uncertainty. Markets loathe uncertainty, and although we received assurances regarding Model 3 production, uncertainty abounds with a possible cap raise as well as TE. As the markets digest the report and CC, we could see a slow but steady rise again.
Also once we see videos like this
- but for Model 3 - the excitement will start to build. Will probably make the Trump-to-ER rally look like small fries.

Reactions: ev-enthusiast
I believe this current downtrend is caused by uncertainty. Markets loathe uncertainty, and although we received assurances regarding Model 3 production, uncertainty abounds with a possible cap raise as well as TE. As the markets digest the report and CC, we could see a slow but steady rise again.

Here's my thinking....

This has been a massive run up, and the people that follow this company closely were happy with the earnings report and guidance. To us this is not a reason to sell. It's exactly what we expected give or take a little. I heard exactly what I expected on the 22ond, and it was quite boring (a number of people commented on being bored during the Q&A).

Maybe speculators started buying around 250 chasing momentum, maybe they were hoping for some huge positive surprise, etc. now they're disappointed and selling or locking in profits or just bored. They were looking for something unrealistic in the ER. They're not happy with things that are going just as planned.

Classic case of buy the rumor sell the news.

We will be fine in the long term, but this maybe stuck in looking for support and bouncing around mode for a bit. That and Nasdaq is shakey, earning season is ending, so bad combo of macros and end of momentum.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden

As i said, the idea that we are going to enter a sustained bearish period because of a decent Q4(Model 3 timeline reconfirmed) seems premature. Past major downturns were preceded by sustained bad news while tesla had real problems and was stuck in head down and grind forward mode for several months while shorts beat them over the head with an avalanche of fud on a daily basis. Certainly doesn't appear to me that those factors are present on this pullback/consolidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.