Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an adult, who invests, I do realize stocks go up and down, and if I ever need to sell it might not be optimal timing.

One could argue artificially increased, OR decreased. Both are valid wrt stock price.

You know what else is on Musk? Tesla. The whole company. The whole it being there in the first place.

Being upset someone is actively betting against you, and trying to bankrupt your company is much different than 'caring' about the share price. Same reason I have never shorted a stock, ever. I have been tempted, but it does not feel right to me.

I appreciate Musk's honesty. Always will, regardless if it costs me money. People emailing IR to tell them how he should conduct himself, seems laughable, in my opinion. You are kicking the golden goose, cause he is not golden enough for you.

Well I sure hope no life changing event happens to you that would necessitate you needing to sell stock to take care of yourself or your loved ones in the near future or at a moment in time when share price is -artificially depressed-.

It's one thing to lash out at Dodd Frank, sector rotations, healthcare reform, N. Korea ICBM launching, global recession etc, but this is all on Musk and Tesla IR.

I also call BS on Musk "not caring" about stock price. He complains about shorts trying to kill him. He taunts shorts when things get stormy.
Shorts are in Musks head. Yet, Musk for no reason at all will also cut off his own head and deliver it on a silver platter to the very shorts he appears to hate so much.

No one is telling Musk to be dishonest. I'm going to tell IR that Musk needs to "Show appropriate discretion when representing shareholders."

And lastly, you must not be married or your wife is not in the room if you say crap to me like:

"I made a true statement, get over it". - out of here with that hubris...

Rupert Murdoch's son. wow. Trying to parse the politics of this. Are the Murdoch's know for friendliness to green industries?

James is seemingly the most progressive of the group and is friends with Al Gore:

From a FT interview of both Al Gore and James Murdoch:

GORE: Almost all of our conversations have been about both of these topics and last night when we had a dinner party it was both topics. In a way that’s coincidental, but in another way it’s not because both are cutting edge and both are defining characteristics of the new reality that we face. One other thing, James has made Sky the leader worldwide among media companies on the issue of solving the climate crisis. I’m in a position to make that statement because I’ve been virtually everywhere in the world talking about the climate crisis and there is no other media company that has made the kind of commitment that Sky has made and by the way I have now seen and heard in the United States Rupert Murdoch, saying to the larger News Corp corporate family, we should follow James’s lead and address this crisis. And that’s not a small matter because it can have and is beginning to have a huge impact on several continents.

James is also credited with taking the opportunity to oust both Ailes and O'Reilly from foxnews.

Last edited:
TSLA seems to experience a lot of unexpected short term movements that can be fairly substantial, and often brought on by sudden "analyst" statements (often repeated only a month or two after their last one), unplanned events (negative and positive), comments by Elon Musk (definitely positive at times; other times interpreted negatively), articles, etc...

This is why so many seasoned TSLA investors favor the long term LEAPs if you are going to utilize options. The shorter term options can be blindsided in a hurry without any warning. While not a completely seasoned TSLA investor yet (2 years, mostly shares with more recent dabbling in options), I have experienced this firsthand, and it is not at all pleasant. It's frustrating enough seeing the effects on the long term LEAPs.

Window dressing of the worst sort, albeit a sort common in public listed companies. Neither has relevant expertise.

James Murdoch was involved in criminal operations, which is bad, though he was never personally implicated, which is good.... but what on earth does he actually bring to the board in terms of value?

Maybe they're both activists on climate change? *scratches head*.

Maybe Linda Rice has marketing expertise which would translate to Tesla? I mean, she has a great career record, but it's all in *publishing* and I just don't see the relevance.

irishjugg:

There was not a moment in TSLA history when buying was a bad trade.
All this years the only bad trade was selling TSLA.

When it climbs over 5000, who cares if one bought at 380 or 300. We have full mouths of being long but obsess about daily price movements. Nothing the CEO or anyone says changes the long-term prospect of the company. What matters it product, assets, vision and cojones to just do it.

Put your money where your mouth is and just wait. Fast growth includes fast drops.
My post wasn't a commentary on my holdings, which are long and long term with the exception of some market timing sells to buy lower (mixed levels of success).

As an adult, who invests, I do realize stocks go up and down, and if I ever need to sell it might not be optimal timing.

One could argue artificially increased, OR decreased. Both are valid wrt stock price.

You know what else is on Musk? Tesla. The whole company. The whole it being there in the first place.

Being upset someone is actively betting against you, and trying to bankrupt your company is much different than 'caring' about the share price. Same reason I have never shorted a stock, ever. I have been tempted, but it does not feel right to me.

I appreciate Musk's honesty. Always will, regardless if it costs me money. People emailing IR to tell them how he should conduct himself, seems laughable, in my opinion. You are kicking the golden goose, cause he is not golden enough for you.
Very well put, much better than I did before.

Reactions: Ocelot
I just don't see the relevance.

Sky at one time struck me as less biased than the BBC - more complete information.

Either way, at this stage Tesla needs media, and they don't swing a big ad budget.

Also, they need content for the central screen. Connections matter.

Think like you are a tiny start up and looking for board members that add new geographies/skills/connections.

Somehow my gut feeling tells me that he is also trying to lure as many short sellers as possible and as quickly as possible to load up on their shorts before he unleashes a tsunami of pain to crush them all once and for all.

"Those skilled at making the enemy move do so by creating a situation to which he must conform; they entice him with something he is certain to take, and with lures of ostensible profit they await him in strength." Sun Tzu, The Art of War

The stock market is all about psychology really.

While my internal reality alarm is yelling at me to snap out of it, I've wondered the same - omitting vehicles in transit seemed like quite the "oops". Though I can understand why they would want to try leaving it out before Model 3 deliveries begin, they had to know it wouldn't end well... Then there's the production ramp tweets, which in hindsight seems very conservative if they've already built over 300 RC cars by hand by now.
Me wonders if once they knew delivery numbers would be bad, there was no need to maintain optimistic estimates that would be ignored anyways in the storm of FUD and negativity. The slow ramp numbers, followed by the December figure would be a perfect way to entice shorts for "one last good ride to the bottom", with enough warning as to when they'd need to be out. Then in a month or two blow those production estimates out of the water. Whoops, guess we were too conservative on the ramp. Sorry!

(tl;dr, bear trap)

The two negatives that may have affected the TSLA share price today:

1) Elon’s Saturday comment about share price. Clarified today.

2) Minneapolis car crash Saturday. Driver changed story today.

In both cases many of the negative versions of the stories remain online with only a few positive updates recently added. That may change tomorrow.

I see today’s board appointments as positives for shareholders. Funds, analysts and the media that eventually want Tesla advertising may find the choices appealing.

I expect the market will soon realize that Elon’s Saturday meeting with the governors could reap major rewards for Tesla. Incentives could be offered for factories. Some blockages of direct sales might end. Electric cars and solar energy may get more state support.

Meanwhile, a glitch-free ramp-up of Model 3 production leading to joyful July 28th deliveries should be welcomed by the market.

I did something risky and bought weeklies near the close. Don't normally speculate with short term options but this FUD campaign was 1) obvious to me and 2) I got excited when I saw Elon and Tesla fighting back. The after hours board appointments and the nice reaction to Netflix will hopefully give some oomph to tesla tomorrow. Not an advice. Trade em well.

Well stated. As you imply Elon's target audience Saturday was the governors and really no others. This was a very special meeting between Elon and and a large group of governors that may not happen again. He took full advantage of the opportunity, even if some words might not have been well received by some of his shareholders.

His pitch was not bombastic, but seemed well planned and played so as if to appear off-the-cuff. His intent appeared to be to sell himself and his vision to the the governors, and as you suggest to induce them to offer incentives for factories to be built in their states, and to stop blocking direct car sales.

I alerted our non-participating Illinois governor and some state legislators to the Saturday webcast, including the one who beat me five years ago. He replied, "Would LOVE to have Tesla in IL!"
Agree IL would be a great place in many factors. If McDonald's corporate office can be swayed to move to Chicago perhaps the Mayor's conversion with EM & company was more than 'boring' a tunnel. I been seeing more visibility with Chicago courting high technology companies and also Chinese businesses.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I sure see a lot of people getting prickly he over this because it cost them paper money. Musk made a true statement, get over it, that's what he does.

A lot of the reason I chose to invest initially was due to his clear attempts to give honest answers whenever he can. Again, Musk really doesn't care much about the stock price, particularly day to day. If you aren't used to that yet then get used to it. It's a reality of investing in this company.

Your personal daily PnL falls below attempting to answer questions honestly in the way Elon handles himself. Everytime we get a dip that's easy to blame on something he said this same gnashing of teeth follows, then suggestions to email investor relations about it. It's silly.

We are up a huge percentage so far this year, and an enormous percentage since IPO very quickly. TSLA is one of the best market returns out there. If you bought at 380, that's your fault, at some high number the only possibility for things to keep going up is a short squeeze. Like it or not at some point the valuation is just too high for the current situation.

It's important to not let the exuberance of this place convince you to make bad trades at the top of the market.

It's also important not to blame honest (and accurate) statements made by the CEO for the losses such poor trading decisions cause. We all make bad trades sometimes.

This is not directed at MXwing specifically, but at everyone with similar "WTF is he doing to my gains" comments.
To people with the options, it's not paper money.
To anyone with time horizon that's short/mid term, it may or not may be paper money.
This is why I stopped leveraging on TSLA, Musk is a lose cannon. Still 100% TSLA and today I added 4%, that's my level of comfort :)

Don't you think he can still be truthful and have stated his position better.

He could have stated it differently, I don't know if that would be better than what he did, especially since he's already on record saying the same thing in the past. I don't have a problem with him being consistent, and I prefer him being direct than parsing his words.

He could have stated it differently, I don't know if that would be better than what he did, especially since he's already on record saying the same thing in the past. I don't have a problem with him being consistent, and I prefer him being direct than parsing his words.

I bet you could come up with a better statement that is different, better and at the same time truthful.;)

The next time, and there will be a next time, he is asked I hope that he has a different and better answer to the question.

I will let it go at this point as it now 'water under the bridge' and I am starting to 'beat the dead horse'.

Enough metaphors, we need 'steak' and have to get ready to 'board the train'. :eek: I can't help myself!!!o_Oo_O

Status
Not open for further replies.