Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.10.5 Arrived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BLE will open the app in the background when it acquires its paired endpoint. I.e. even if Tesla is terminated, the car connecting to the phone should start it. So termination is not the issue here.
Oh, you are correct I'm running on old info. Apples has added Bluetooth wake-up functionality (to swap back into RAM) to iOS for Bluetooth LE. So the Model 3 is using BLE aspect of BT, correct? It could be Tesla making bad assumptions about delays when waking?

EDIT: An iOS app is also responsible for handling events for getting moved around in these state changes, Tesla's code might be having issues there?

Last edited:
Reactions: kbM3
Oh, you are correct I'm running on old info. Apples has added Bluetooth wake-up functionality (to swap back into RAM) to iOS for Bluetooth LE. So the Model 3 is using BLE aspect of BT, correct? It could be Tesla making bad assumptions about delays when waking?

EDIT: An iOS app is also responsible for handling events for getting moved around in these state changes, Tesla's code might be having issues there?

Yes the key functinality is done through bluetooth LE, otherwise it would murder phone batteries. Like you say, I suspect there are some bugs on Tesla’s side of things.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Hmmmmmm, I havent gotten one update since taking delivery of the car.

No wifi or bad cell reception may be a culprit i assume.

Interesting. I thought I had read the wi-fi isn't active yet or that it would only connect at the SC. Perhaps if you park it in an area with decent LTE coverage it would connect and download?

Of course I'm not an owner - haven't even received my invite yet - but who knows.

Interesting. I thought I had read the wi-fi isn't active yet or that it would only connect at the SC. Perhaps if you park it in an area with decent LTE coverage it would connect and download?

Of course I'm not an owner - haven't even received my invite yet - but who knows.

Yea I would think so as well unless i am at the back of the line for updates. No wifi yet is confirmed and true. I meant since there is no wifi it wouldnt work at my house possibly as my LTE is spotty sometimes.

Just got it installed - fixed a few things including key card & phone not recognized this morning (had to open the car through App, impossible to restore the phone connection...).

Backup camera now has a 16:9 format or so instead of being square, so things appear with the right proportions.

And... after 10 min drive on AP on a local road I think we now have the new Neural Net S & X owners have been enjoying lately. Lanes are locked more quickly, no woobling lanes on screen, less ping pong and it took an S curve better than what it typically does. Not 100% sure yet but will figure it out tomorrow during my long commute.

How come the physical card key isn't adequate as a fail-safe? I'm confused as to what a traditional key fob would achieve that the card key is failing to achieve.

Unlocking the car/popping the trunk when you walk up to it.

With the card you have to get out the card, tap it on the pillar, open the door, get in, use the touch screen to pop the trunk, get back out, and then put your stuff in the trunk

Unlocking the car/popping the trunk when you walk up to it.

With the card you have to get out the card, tap it on the pillar, open the door, get in, use the touch screen to pop the trunk, get back out, and then put your stuff in the trunk
Ah gotcha. That's ridiculous (these days). Thanks.
This is (another) great example of why there's no chance my wife is going to early adopt the 3 with me. I really need this sort of nonsense ironed out by the time Y is released, so I can get her into a Tesla via Y, and say goodbye to gasoline 100%. To move backward on the standard entry-level luxury car feature set is simply not a way to get skeptics to adopt. Granted, there's an order book of ~400k early adopters ready to go, so Tesla has plenty of time to get the feature set to par (and beyond).

Reactions: rnortman
Ah gotcha. That's ridiculous (these days). Thanks.
This is (another) great example of why there's no chance my wife is going to early adopt the 3 with me. I really need this sort of nonsense ironed out by the time Y is released, so I can get her into a Tesla via Y, and say goodbye to gasoline 100%. To move backward on the standard entry-level luxury car feature set is simply not a way to get skeptics to adopt. Granted, there's an order book of ~400k early adopters ready to go, so Tesla has plenty of time to get the feature set to par (and beyond).

So funny because my wife was the same way - and then I bought me a Tesla.

She drove it. She took my Tesla.

Your wife will love it. I guarantee it.

So funny because my wife was the same way - and then I bought me a Tesla.

She drove it. She took my Tesla.

Your wife will love it. I guarantee it.
That's my deepest fear, the nightmare that wakes me in a cold sweat. Even upon walking it feels real, impending, ripe upon the air. Then I calm myself, reassured by my wife's deep love of her XM radio. As long as Tesla didn't tuck in hardware for Sirius and patch in support down the line, it'll be okay. It'll all be okay.

Last edited: