Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also in my defense regarding the reboot longer or shorter comment. The first Tesla rep told me to do this and it seem to work temporarily . The black screen was happening to me even when the car was not in waking mode. It happen when I got out the car to go shopping for a couple of minutes. Never happened before. Since I did the reboot the only time it happens now is when the car is waking up and has been sitting idle for over an hour.

The vampire drain never happened before either. The rep could not explain to me why I was having vampire drain all of sudden. Because he was not familiar with the model 3 and possibly with the recent update we got. I was told I would be passed on to a model 3 rep who would call me later.
My vampire drain stopped because I was not parked in direct sunlight. I had a more consistent temperature with the car being parked in my garage. But I had no idea that the recent update has an over heat protection. How I found this out is because I got a phone call from a rep familiar with the model 3. He stated when the cabin reaches a certain temperature, the hvac turns on to cool down the cabin.

What I learned from this is tesla is working hard to make us happy. Sometimes curve balls are thrown at us. Be patient, they are aware and are fixing stuff.

Also I will not post until I get the full story from a Tesla model 3 rep.

For S/X Cabin Overheat Protection can prevent sleeping, which can dramatically increase vampire drain. Third party apps can too, but should have a sleep mode. I use TeslaFi without a problem. Last I checked COP was allowing only 1 hour of sleep at a time on my car, which is better than I used to see. I have it turned off for now.

So 18.3 introduced Cabin Overheat Protection without any temperature settings or the ability to enable or disable?

Correct. There was a secret menu that allowed you to access the settings in one of the previous versions, but this menu is not accessible in 2018.18.3. I’d expect this menu to be available with another software update in the near future.

Also I hope this black and white map business isn’t here to stay. Does anyone recall if in previous versions the map was black and white when the screen was in night mode and color in daylight mode? If this is the case I’d guess that they accidentally broke some code that switched between black and white and color. If not then I really don’t understand the logic behind it. If this was indeed intentional I hope that they let you choose between black and white and color for the map in the settings.

Correct. There was a secret menu that allowed you to access the settings in one of the previous versions, but this menu is not accessible in 2018.18.3. I’d expect this menu to be available with another software update in the near future.

Also I hope this black and white map business isn’t here to stay. Does anyone recall if in previous versions the map was black and white when the screen was in night mode and color in daylight mode? If this is the case I’d guess that they accidentally broke some code that switched between black and white and color. If not then I really don’t understand the logic behind it. If this was indeed intentional I hope that they let you choose between black and white and color for the map in the settings.

Not sure why Tesla would not write this up in the change log. My guess is we'll see some official change log write up for it in the 19.0 update.

Maps went black and white with 2018.18.3 :( Reboot didn’t help. Anyone else?

Funny I had noticed the greyscale too, but didn't know it was a new "feature" until I read it here! Someone tell Tesla that water isn't grey.

In addition to blue being removed from the map and being replaced by gray, the circular "P" icons that appear next to the car to indicate that a parking space is available for auto-park used to be blue, but are now gray.

I'm speculating here, but Tesla may be trying to remove all blue from the display other than TACC and Autosteer icons to indicate that they're engaged. The visual cue of the blue for automatic driver assistance engagement might have been deemed too important to allow it to be confused by anything else that's the same color.

That is a specific defect in your car that need to be fixed.

My mirror auto-tilt positions for reverse have never worked properly since the day I got the car. The system will not save the proper reverse positions (it will move the mirrors some, usually along one axis, but not the other), and will not return the mirrors to the driving position after reversing (will move them to some combination of driving and reverse positions). I have turned off mirror auto-tilt until this is fixed.

This is not a specific defect in my car or anyone else's car, this is a software bug.

I just updated from 14.3 to 18.3 on Tuesday. Additional differences I've noticed but didn't see already mentioned in the thread:

1) My Android phone key function success rate went from 95% to 20% (that was after I re-paired the phone to the car as it was working 0% after the update). I can hear the car clunking and making noise as I approach the car, but when I push the door handle nothing happens.

2) The standard regen doesn't seem as strong, but seems to kick in if I start braking lightly

Number one bothers me the most, of course. Now I see why some people are so frustrated with their phone key issues!!!! I use a Samsung s9.

Anyone else notice their phone key function success rate getting worse?

I also find the back up camera black out delay annoying, hope that gets fixed soon too

Last edited:
Reactions: slipnslider
I just updated from 14.3 to 18.3 on Tuesday. Additional differences I've noticed but didn't see already mentioned in the thread:

1) My Android phone key function success rate went from 95% to 20% (that was after I re-paired the phone to the car as it was working 0% after the update). I can hear the car clunking and making noise as I approach the car, but when I push the door handle nothing happens.

2) The standard regen doesn't seem as strong, but seems to kick in if I start braking lightly

Number one bothers me the most, of course. Now I see why some people are so frustrated with their phone key issues!!!! I use a Samsung s9.

Anyone else notice their phone key function success rate getting worse?

I also find the back up camera black out delay annoying, hope that gets fixed soon too
When I first got 18.3, I had to delete the phone key from the car, then go into the app and use the 'forget phone key' option. After I repaired it that way, my phone key has been virtually flawless, much better than it's ever been in the car. Note that I only followed the above steps because I was forced to. Phone key wasn't working at all after the update.

History repeats itself. After every Model S firmware update starting in 2013 someone always reported that regen wasn’t as strong. No one ever documented this was true. It got to be a running joke after a while— who would be the one to post that he though the update caused less regen.

• Funny
Reactions: nvx1977
When I first got 18.3, I had to delete the phone key from the car, then go into the app and use the 'forget phone key' option. After I repaired it that way, my phone key has been virtually flawless, much better than it's ever been in the car. Note that I only followed the above steps because I was forced to. Phone key wasn't working at all after the update.
The charging plug unlocks on the first try with the entire car being locked. So now I do not have to unlock the drivers door to unlock the charger next . My trunk opens on the first try without a second attempt to actually get it opened. Even while the app is waking itself up on my phone key. The trunk opens the first time. I just tested everything again. Please verify that I am not going crazy. This is great!!

Last edited:
Reactions: nvx1977
I forgot to hit postpone and my car updated to 18.3 last night.

My car was really solid on 14.13 and this new update has me a little miffed.

Some issues:

1) Car has randomly rebooted twice on me, once while driving
2) Bluetooth audio went away and my phones unpaired
3) Phone as key is significantly worse (I think I had success 1 out of 6 times today)
4) LTE connection is intermittent now. It keeps saying "no connection"
5) Efficiency somehow noticeably improved today, driving on the same 60 mile route I always take my car showed 211 Wh/mile vs the normal 240 or so..? Not sure if this is a fluke or they actually changed something.

The charging plug unlocks on the first try with the entire car being locked. So now I do not have to unlock the drivers door to unlock the charger next . My trunk opens on the first try without a second attempt to actually get it opened. Even while the app is waking itself up on my phone key. The trunk opens the first time. I just tested everything again. Please verify that I am not going crazy. This is great!!

Since getting the car, I've had 2 times where the phone as key did not work prior to 18.3. Now I've had 1.5 times where it HAS worked (I say a half because the first time I tried to open the door it remained locked, the second time it opened). I will have to give the forget and re-add a try at lunch today.

Picked up my car on the 19th with 18.3 preinstalled. Phone has worked every time. The only problem I've had is the rear view camera staying black. Most of the time it's just a 1-2 second delay, but there was once where it stayted black long enough for me to try putting it in to drive, reverse, drive, reverse a couple times to see if it came back on. It eventually (20 seconds??) did come back.

Since getting the car, I've had 2 times where the phone as key did not work prior to 18.3. Now I've had 1.5 times where it HAS worked (I say a half because the first time I tried to open the door it remained locked, the second time it opened). I will have to give the forget and re-add a try at lunch today.

I hate to say it and it is funny of all people with the user name gone crazy replies to my post....

I have been able to get into my vehicle today with no problem but the Bluetooth icon on the car does not light up to recognize my phone key. So no iPhone music or Bluetooth calling. But was able to drive the car with no problems. Rebooted the car and everything came back to normal.
So I was going a little crazy and used the phrase “seriously”

Picked up my car on the 19th with 18.3 preinstalled. Phone has worked every time. The only problem I've had is the rear view camera staying black. Most of the time it's just a 1-2 second delay, but there was once where it stayted black long enough for me to try putting it in to drive, reverse, drive, reverse a couple times to see if it came back on. It eventually (20 seconds??) did come back.
I experienced the persistent black screen before the update once. I backed out of my garage and driveway the old fashioned way since it persisted for a long time and nothing I tried worked. That was the only time though.