Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.21 0fa48d9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are optimists getting shamed now on TMC? Damn...

I've noticed there are a handful (2-4) sour patch kids on here that seem to have nothing nice to say about Tesla... They're pretty vocal, rip on Elon, Tesla, etc, and their answer to most comments is "3-6 months definitely".

I have to admit that I'm a little frustrated that AP2 is taking longer than anticipated, but I also know they're reinventing wheels and developing technology that has never been done before. I'm patient and impatient all at the same time.

That’s odd and disappointing — any guesses why blind spot detection would be tied to the front radar?

I can't imagine it is, but I seem to recall that there are new versions of the rear-facing repeater cameras in the AP2.5 vehicles as well. So it may be linked to that. (And maybe then they will add support for the older cameras, or retro-fit newer ones.)

Are optimists getting shamed now on TMC? Damn...
Its probably more ridicule than shame....

Ultimately Tesla was at the forefront of car tech and had the most advanced drive assist features on the market.

They don't any more.

We were told about an amazing new autopilot which turned out to handle crests and hold between the lines a bit better. I think the majority of owners have just lost faith that Telsa will keep up with the behemoth car giants who have now caught up and will will rapidly advanced beyond Tesla.

The fact is Tesla are struggling for cash and need to build and sell new cars, not spend too much money on software for existing owners. I will put it out there that 99% of all the new features are purely to entice new owners to buy a Tesla, not for existing owners to get new functionality. If we get that GREAT, but its a by-product of needing to produce the tech that will keep Tesla selling new cars over the likes of Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW and Audi etc.

Its probably more ridicule than shame....

Ultimately Tesla was at the forefront of car tech and had the most advanced drive assist features on the market.

They don't any more.

That's debatable. Autopilot is still one of the best ADAS out there IMO. Other systems such as Supercruise or ProPilot are very good no doubt, but they lack all the features that Autopilot has. For example, Supercruise lacks auto lane change, does not work on surface streets, requires a monthly onstar subscription and cannot be updated over the air.

We were told about an amazing new autopilot which turned out to handle crests and hold between the lines a bit better. I think the majority of owners have just lost faith that Telsa will keep up with the behemoth car giants who have now caught up and will will rapidly advanced beyond Tesla.

Don't let disappointment sour you. Good things are coming.

Reactions: StefanSarzio
Indeed but the I Pace has Blind Spot Assistance, rear traffic monitoring when reversing, clear exit monitoring from, for example, parking spaces, traffic sign recognition (with sign speed limiting), can be updated over the air, have decent AI traffic routing, speed limiter, driver condition monitoring, HUD.....

In fact the only thing it doesn't do is lane changing, but the Tesla needs user input on the indicator to actual initiate the change. Other than that it does a LOT more.

I mean I love my car, its great, but a lot of faith has been lost in the ability to deliver new features in EAP let alone FSD.

Reactions: alcibiades
In fact the only thing it doesn't do is lane changing, but the Tesla needs user input on the indicator to actual initiate the change. Other than that it does a LOT more.

And take into account that in Europe, you need a double user input: on the indicator, and on the steering wheel.

Honestly, Auto Lane Change is cool and impresses friends and family... but that's it. There are even plenty of times when it's not usable because either it doesn't take surrounding traffic into account enough, or it's just too slow to use as soon as there is some traffic around you.

Reactions: daktari
Sorry, I am in the UK (and about 5 miles from the Jaguar Head Office) and so I have been seeing I Paces on the road for almost 12 months now in one form or another (until the past month mostly covered up with the black/white swirly graphics). I saw 2 production models on the road on my way into work today alone.

On the lane change, my works fine with just the indicator as long as i rest my hand on the steering wheel so that the car knows i am there. You can test by wiggling the steering wheel a bit 10 seconds before trying the indicator then just indicating, it should change lane.

How do you know that? How come the side cameras on AP2 cannot be used for that but AP2.5 can?
I'm not saying AP2 can't do blind spot detection with its cameras, just at this point Tesla created trigger to gather snapshots for AP2.5 cars only.
That's disappointing... Hopefully those can be retrofitted

As far as I know Conti radar is not compatible with Bosch radar setup used by AP1/AP2 cars. I was told Conti radar has additional Can Bus wire running to it, when Bosch has one connector.