TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by N8Howell33, Jun 8, 2018.

1. N8Howell33

N8Howell33 Member

It appears the autopilot update (at least some changes in autopilot rendering) has started to roll out to the model 3. Post pictures of notes as well as experiences below with this firmware update.

2. Bruinfan

Bruinfan Member

Nags now 25sec apart. Obviously a reaction to all of the lame people running into things.

Also had the cards improvement (i came from 18.13)

Hoping vampire drain improves. Mine started with 18.3
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
  3. CTreast

CTreast Member

Got mine installed. 25sec really? Dang, I haven't taken it out since the update

4. ergela

ergela Member

Is it just me or is the backup camera closer to the model s camera after this update?

• Like x 1
  5. fseir

fseir Member

Allows you to see vehicles in adjacent lanes, somewhat.

This video is in an S, but the 3 does the same. I just updated, but haven’t tried it yet. In the video, the images of the adjacent cars seem to pop in kind of late, and appear too far away, relative to reality. Wish it depicted them when they are in your blind spots.

6. fseir

fseir Member

Here’s a video that shows it in a 3, and a brief look at the release notes:

• Like x 3
  7. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

I too noticed the shorter time to nag. Hopefully it may be due to other AutoPilot changes that it needs recalibration and thus more nags in the meantime.

8. Point 3

Point 3 Member

Now that would be nice!

9. daniel

daniel Active Member

That's fine with me. I don't take my hands off the wheel. Hey, people, you've seen what happens to folks who think they can take their hands off the wheel. 25 seconds is a LONG time to have your hands off the wheel. There's a reason why Tesla tells us to keep our hands on the wheel. It's because Autosteer is a BETA feature. It's not FSD.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  10. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

I don't take my hands off the wheel either, but that isn't the problem. On long, straight stretches of highway, the software forces you to periodically apply unnecessary torque or the system will nag you anyway, even though your hands have never been off the wheel.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  11. daniel

daniel Active Member

Maybe one of my arms is heavier than the other, because just relaxing my arms as I hold the wheel seems to apply enough torque.

12. psgabin

psgabin Member

just installed update but I’m version ap1 not 2.0 anyone know what the changes would be for 1.0

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Or maybe the highways wind enough that you'll apply torque.

14. daniel

daniel Active Member

We do have freeways that are straight for long enough that it would nag if it was going to. But not for as long as North Dakota. Texas probably has longer straight sections than we do. Still, if I head east on the freeway there are some long straight sections. And the main drag through here where I have occasionally used AP (Sprague Ave.) is perfectly straight.

I'll see what happens when I get the update. I'm still on 18.13 I think it is.

15. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

I definitely find the nag too frequent. Also, the adjacent lane depiction on the screen shows the cars closer to your car than they really are when you are passing them. I jad a few show as driving on the lane marker when they were in the middle of their lane. It seems to shift too far towards your car the farther down the screen it goes. I even had one show partly in my lane and it sounded the collision alert even though they were in their lane. This was while driving on a long bridge that had narrow lanes though so it was a difficult condition to handle and I was ready to take over at any time.

16. dsnows

dsnows Member

I installed the update yesterday but haven't driven much yet. If the nag interval is shorter as everyone is saying, I don't like that at all. There is no harm in having your hands in your lap or somewhere close to the wheel as long as you are paying attention. I typically put my hands on the wheel in situations I know from experience can be problematic. Otherwise, I'm ready to grab the wheel if needed. But, dislike being forced to hold it when the situation doesn't need it.

• Like x 1
  17. NoTDI

NoTDI Member

I always keep my hands on the wheel since this thing has a mind of its own and I have had to take over sereral times as it does stupid things I don’t agree with
    I also rest my foot on the go pedal in case I have to fight moving forward if the auto emergency braking kicks in for no good reason. Occasionally, I stretch etc to rest myself
    I’m definitely a lot more careful now than when I first got my car
    Seeing all those cars in other lanes it is somewhat distracting in heavy traffic. Hopefully it will show cars in the back eventually
    This whole thing is a big beta project and we are the guinea pigs

• Funny x 1
  18. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

Same here. I've heard they may have made this detection more sensitive, so hopefully it's not a major pain. It's installing on my car now.

19. daniel

daniel Active Member

Update installing on my car now. I got up this morning to find a notice on my phone that the update was ready to install. I wasted no time going out to the garage to start the update. I didn't have plans to go anywhere today, but now that's changed. I will take it out for a drive to see if it feels any different.

20. Dugknight

Dugknight Member

I called and reported this to TSLA yesterday. It nagged me a few times on my drive back from the desert this weekend, even though my hands were on the wheel. I couldn't get the nagging to stop by moving my hands around and squeezing it. They looked at my logs at the exact time I was driving home yesterday and couldn't find it. Makes me wonder how they can report that some of these drivers that were killed didn't have their hands on the wheel when their system and logs seem to be broken.