Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.6.1 bug reporting thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 376+ posts in the other 2018.6.1 tread on all different tangents maybe it's time to separate out the issue reporting by itself? Reboots, error messages, bad stuff here and leave the AP behavior and feature changes somewhere else?

I'll start....

Since getting 2018.6.1 I have had two instances over 4 days of a shutdown car when sitting overnight. Both times, passive entry worked but no screens. The cluster then powers itself on but nothing else. Curiously it shows no odometer reading. Enter the car, depress the brake pedal and the "systems are powering up" message comes on but will not clear. I have had to use the scroll wheel reboot to get the touchscreen to start up. Today after the touchscreen lit up that resulted with a "Touchscreen Unresponsive: Press Scroll Wheels on Steering Wheel Until it Restarts" So I restarted again.

It takes a long (several minutes) time to find/connect to LTE and then to WiFi. After being connected to LTE, I got the login to Spotify screen which would not respond to "use Tesla account". So I restarted again with the scroll wheels.

The car came back to life and started playing my XM channel. Even in the garage which usually doesn't find a satellite. The only issue then was that the car had turned off climate controls but they came back on with the button push.

Having this happen every other day when the car sits overnight is gonna become old real fast. Only useful thing is that the phone app can't connect when the car is in this state and so I know I have to spend the 5 minutes or so getting it up and running before I need to leave.

Reactions: skialpine
Got new update last Saturday around 1.25AM. Took the car out for the first time today and have the exact same problem. In addition to that I also saw Car needs service-Reduced steering assist, Auto emergency braking disabled. Had to use the scroll fix to start the main screen until then the driver dashboard screen is dim.

After 376+ posts in the other 2018.6.1 tread on all different tangents maybe it's time to separate out the issue reporting by itself? Reboots, error messages, bad stuff here and leave the AP behavior and feature changes somewhere else?

I'll start....

Since getting 2018.6.1 I have had two instances over 4 days of a shutdown car when sitting overnight. Both times, passive entry worked but no screens. The cluster then powers itself on but nothing else. Curiously it shows no odometer reading. Enter the car, depress the brake pedal and the "systems are powering up" message comes on but will not clear. I have had to use the scroll wheel reboot to get the touchscreen to start up. Today after the touchscreen lit up that resulted with a "Touchscreen Unresponsive: Press Scroll Wheels on Steering Wheel Until it Restarts" So I restarted again.

It takes a long (several minutes) time to find/connect to LTE and then to WiFi. After being connected to LTE, I got the login to Spotify screen which would not respond to "use Tesla account". So I restarted again with the scroll wheels.

The car came back to life and started playing my XM channel. Even in the garage which usually doesn't find a satellite. The only issue then was that the car had turned off climate controls but they came back on with the button push.

Having this happen every other day when the car sits overnight is gonna become old real fast. Only useful thing is that the phone app can't connect when the car is in this state and so I know I have to spend the 5 minutes or so getting it up and running before I need to leave.

Not that it matters much, but I had my first instance of the problem you described above this past Saturday. And I was still on an older version (2018.2 I believe).

Here's my bug (a few other members reported the same thing):

With my rear parking sensors, I get reverse camera as well as the image on the screen with the white, yellow, and red curves as well as the distance in inches showing up... BUT NO chimes as I approach an obstacle behind me. I could've sworn the rear chimes used to work until a few days ago.

With my front parking sensors, I get the image on the screen with the white, yellow, and red curves as well as the distance in inches showing up... but I also hear the chimes as I approach whatever obstacle is there in front of me. No problems there.

Checking my settings, I see that I have the sound for the chimes on in the settings.

Tesla Mobile team came out to my place and checked it out and confirmed it's a firmware bug.

Wondering what Tesla is doing behind the scenes with this update... This is the first update I have noticed to cause issues with my car.

Two times I have had to reboot the MCU because I couldn't connect to the car via the app. Also once I got in the car I got a message that the touch wasn't responding and to reboot.

One time when backing up the MCU rebooted on its own...

To add to the list from the main thread:
Overcharged from normal 80 to 93. Unplugged it, let it burn some off. Rebooted it, plugged back in, and installtly reported ‘charge complete at 88’ (where it was). Let’s see how it goes now.

Reported to Tesla and (1) never heard of it before and (2) blames it on being plugged too long when it’s been perfect for six months (never overcharged before 6.1).

Please call the support line since they need the reports!

And I think the suggestion to reboot after a firmware install is a good one.

Hopefully I'm not mudding the waters, by reporting on issues with my X, but I too have seen the ECU reboot on its own. There have been a couple of times where I can unlock the car but no screens boot up, and require a reboot to the ECU before anything happens. On Sunday my HomeLink wouldn't work, when I entered reverse the camera attempted to display however the feed never appeared, and when driving I noticed that the turn signal was not making any noise when I was engaging it. Connecting to the car is taking much longer than it normally has, and often doesn't connect.

I'm excited for the next update, because as of right now, the car is unpredictable and these behaviors are getting old!

Reactions: THXULTRA
My X has had the same issue center console rebooted twice yesterday. Also when preheating the car with the mobile app on Android several times it has told me it had to stop because the battery capacity had reached 0%, it stopped because I got in the car. I've already reported the issues to support

There are some serious bugs in this release. I have also had the MCU reboot several times randomly. I have opened the card door after it has sat overnight to find both the ECU and MCU rebooting. When backing I have not been seeing the white/orange/red line appearing with distance on several occasions. Lane change, especially to the left is unpredictable. Showing the P for parking assist frequently doesn't display even when I slowly pass an obvious parking spot.

Adding to my 'overcharge' post. Looking at my TeslaFi raw data (as someone else did, thanks for the hint): The car has been losing connectivity to TeslaFi often since 6.1, and it lost it at 77% charge. When it next connected, it actually had 97% charge and stated 'Complete. Yeah, really, ya think? This was Sunday AM, so when I first saw it, it was working its way down to 93% Ever since 6.1, tons of connectivity issues.. including fun things like 'Shift state: none' ('what gear you are in'). None? Is that Rocketman's state or something?
upload_2018-3-6_8-53-46.png

upload_2018-3-6_8-54-54.png

upload_2018-3-6_8-53-26.png

upload_2018-3-6_8-51-55.png

All between those top two were zeroes and fails. no wonder I got for the first time the 'can't connect' email from TeslaFi!

Note that the car has always been set to 80% charge, always plugged in, and kept between 77 and 80. Until now.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-6_8-51-28.png
    upload_2018-3-6_8-51-28.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 28
I've had a few strange AP related behaviors on this version (18.6.1). I have a June 2017 Model X AP2:

AP shut down during my morning commute yesterday morning. I got an alarm sound and message to take over immediately. This was not related to ignoring "Hold the steering wheel" warnings. It was in stop and go/slow and go traffic on well marked lanes that it normally handles well.

On 2 other occasions, I experienced an extreme "phantom braking" event. No collision warming, just a sudden application of the brakes and scrubbing off 20mph. Fortunately nobody was immediately behind me in either case.

I'm being extra cautious with AP now. I haven't seen this sort of behavior in AP releases in the past 4-5 months.

Adding to my 'overcharge' post. Looking at my TeslaFi raw data (as someone else did, thanks for the hint): The car has been losing connectivity to TeslaFi often since 6.1, and it lost it at 77% charge. When it next connected, it actually had 97% charge and stated 'Complete. Yeah, really, ya think? This was Sunday AM, so when I first saw it, it was working its way down to 93% Ever since 6.1, tons of connectivity issues.. including fun things like 'Shift state: none' ('what gear you are in'). None? Is that Rocketman's state or something?
View attachment 284669
View attachment 284670
View attachment 284668
View attachment 284667

All between those top two were zeroes and fails. no wonder I got for the first time the 'can't connect' email from TeslaFi!

Note that the car has always been set to 80% charge, always plugged in, and kept between 77 and 80. Until now.
I reported he car overcharge issue to Tesla Support via e-mail back on March 7th. Finally got a response this afternoon on the case. They acknowledge a Tesla server outage on March 4th when I first saw this issue (same time many people reported a loss of connectivity in TeslaFI, Tesla mobile App, etc...). While they acknowledge the server outage, they did not provide any acknowledgement or response to my primary concern (the overcharging). An hour later, update 2018.10.4 showed up on my car ready to install. Hopefully it fixes the overcharge issue in addition to the many reports of significant autopilot improvements in the release.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva