Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so i got the car back. one trim piece (and an AC condenser) are waiting on parts, but the rest was finished (yellow MCU, FWD paint rubbing, etc.). decided to pick it up so i can carpool for kids school and also program garage and get windows tinted since i have only had it for 2 weeks.

all in all, i think the fitments look better, and from far away when the chrome and wheel fenders line up, the car looks pretty sharp. but when you get up close to get in the car, you can see that alignment issues still are there, and it's almost like in order to line up the chrome, they had to adjust the whole FWD so now the body painted metal doesn't line up. on one side, the rise is maybe 1/8", on the other side it's more like 1/4". just looks really cheesy, that sharp corner on the driver door panel is very obvious when it sticks out like that. i'll see if they can do any better when i go back to get the other parts taken care of, but if they say no, i'll just deal. just curious - how much of a difference between those two panels can you see on your Model X's? (keep in mind this is a 2017 so hopefully 2018 they've figured it out)

View media item 118796View media item 118797View media item 118800View media item 118799View media item 118795
the right side fitment is much better, definitely tolerable:

View media item 118798

To me the way your FWDs look would be unacceptable to me for a $100K car (even the right side). The car has been in production long enough for them to have worked out these fitment issues. Mine is back in the SC to get FWD fitment issues much less severe than yours corrected. I don't want perfection, but fitment should be similar to other cars in the price range (BMW, Mercedes, Range Rover). Mine will keep going back till they get it right. Some people don't care or are oblivious about the defects.

To me the way your FWDs look would be unacceptable to me for a $100K car (even the right side). The car has been in production long enough for them to have worked out these fitment issues. Mine is back in the SC to get FWD fitment issues much less severe than yours corrected. I don't want perfection, but fitment should be similar to other cars in the price range (BMW, Mercedes, Range Rover). Mine will keep going back till they get it right. Some people don't care or are oblivious about the defects.

I think unfortunately you will never be satisfied then. You won’t be able to get close to the level of build quality with Tesla that you are looking for.

I swapped out of a Range Rover into the X, and am used to BMW, Porsche etc. I love the way the Tesla drives but it’s not a premium car in respect of design and build. Overall net net I am still happy with the decision due to the tech and performance characteristics.

This is the most depressing thread on TMC...
i just think of it as being a willing guinea pig for tesla. i wish i could give it glaring remarks, but the model X is still really in its "infancy" compared to how far the model S has come. the FWD's are an engineering marvel and disaster at the same time. but i believe they can get it right over time.

we are on our 2nd model S and the VINs were about 100,000 units apart. the difference between the 2014 and 2016 is night and day. if in two years the model X is in the 150k VIN range, i really think the fitment issues should be gone and a lot of these plastic creaks and groans should be gone too. we did the lease assumption to get a feel for how we like the Model X without committing to it for more than 2 years. i think the Model S is light years ahead of the X in terms of fit and finish. i kind of wish they hadn't gotten rid of the real leather. i think it is nicer than the vegan stuff.

any chance you can post pics of that same spot on your model X? i did email the SC and they said they will try to make it better next time i go in, but implied that it may compromise the chrome trim alignment somewhat. so i'll have to see what they say when they see it in person again.

I think unfortunately you will never be satisfied then. You won’t be able to get close to the level of build quality with Tesla that you are looking for.

I swapped out of a Range Rover into the X, and am used to BMW, Porsche etc. I love the way the Tesla drives but it’s not a premium car in respect of design and build. Overall net net I am still happy with the decision due to the tech and performance characteristics.

we still have our 2013 Mercedes GL550 which is strictly a family weekend car, beach car, ski trip car, road warrior, etc. 2013 was the first year of a new generation (X166) and i have to tell you, when it comes to fitment and build quality, there is not ONE thing wrong anywhere on the car. it is perfect inside and out, which is amazing. i bought out the lease after 36 months because our miles were low and we still love the car. beautiful perforated black leather with contrast stitching. the seats are super supportive and also have the massage function. it is truly one of the best looking SUVs on the road, and the build quality on it is ridiculously good. and i am pretty OCD about these things.

not to mention my kids have been through car seats, boosters, etc. and the seats are still like new. they have put on soccer cleats on the leather, no problem. (in fact they do it on our model S leather seats sometimes and it's fine too) i would not dare do that on the model X soft premium seats. luckily with the 6 seater it's easy to swing their legs to the center and get cleats on without putting their feet up on the edge.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
The FWDs are an engineering marvel and disaster at the same time. They're so complicated, I find it near impossible to get the fitment to be perfect. Minor adjustments are very hard to do, per the SC. I don't blame them. Every time they touch the door, something may go out of whack. At some point, you just need to find something acceptable.

In the past I would have been a hypocrite saying this, but I truly believe this:

If you're going to obsess over every 1mm-off adjustment, the X is not the car for you. I just don't think they're at that level of ability to deliver that perfect of a product. If you can look past the slight gaps and alignment, you'll love the car. The automation of doors (fronts and FWDs) is so cool. The windshield is literally out of this world. The handling and feeling on the road is top notch (for a minivan). The performance is insane for a 3-row vehicle!

At some point, you lose so much time with the car in the shop trying to perfect something that I don't believe can be perfected right now. Life's too short. Enjoy the car while you can for what it is, a forward-thinking-pushing-the-envelope-enginerd-toy. There's no other $100k car I rather throw my cash at right now. If something better comes out, I'll just throw money at that instead. Money and cars come and go, but the experience lasts forever. This is one experience I could not afford to miss!

Reactions: K3Man and Anzir
If you're going to obsess over every 1mm-off adjustment, the X is not the car for you. I just don't think they're at that level of ability to deliver that perfect of a product. If you can look past the slight gaps and alignment, you'll love the car. The automation of doors (fronts and FWDs) is so cool. The windshield is literally out of this world. The handling and feeling on the road is top notch (for a minivan). The performance is insane for a 3-row vehicle!

At some point, you lose so much time with the car in the shop trying to perfect something that I don't believe can be perfected right now. Life's too short. Enjoy the car while you can for what it is, a forward-thinking-pushing-the-envelope-enginerd-toy. There's no other $100k car I rather throw my cash at right now. If something better comes out, I'll just throw money at that instead. Money and cars come and go, but the experience lasts forever. This is one experience I could not afford to miss!

So true. My passenger side doors are not fully aligned, but I'm just going to enjoy this modern marvel of a car.

• Love
Reactions: K3Man and TexasRat