Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some weird problems:

1. Every time my car door opens, the voice command feature goes off. The button on the steering wheel doesn’t work.

2. The driver door jams and doesn’t open. I get stuck in my own car.

3. The heater turning on creates a smell similar to that of burning cloth

4. AC fan doesn’t blow even at high settings. It sounds like it’s jammed or off axis so it can’t ramp us as fast

5. Acceleration shudder worsened after repair.

6. My driver seat squeaks like a old rocking chair every time I hit a bump

7. The front bumper is warping and it is bending inward

8. The weather seals are off for the driver and passenger door

9. My MCU cubby is shaking all the time because it was not put in tightly

10. My left falcon door was misaligned

11. My steering wheel is off axis by 10 degrees

12. My rear bumper reflectors (red) broken upon delivery

13. There was loose wiring under both front seats

14. My windshield wiper fluid tank had a hole in it

15. I can go on all day if your still reading this

Anyway, I didn’t seem all the problems I had on here, but I did see some like the steering wheel and shudder. I am going to be talking to service leadership this week.

I would look into CA's lemon law, yours seem to have too many issues, some small but nonetheless are still issues that you would not want to see when you paid over 100K! Good luck!

I've only been here on the forums for the past 3 months or so, but I've seen this once or twice. I believe in those cases, buybacks were initiated, especially if your list is longer than that. Every now and then you get a car that just is the victim of statistics. Every car manufacturer has them. This seems to be one of those cases. Either that or sabotage. Either way, I'd push back and ask for a new car and ask for a loaner while you wait.

I've only been here on the forums for the past 3 months or so, but I've seen this once or twice. I believe in those cases, buybacks were initiated, especially if your list is longer than that. Every now and then you get a car that just is the victim of statistics. Every car manufacturer has them. This seems to be one of those cases. Either that or sabotage. Either way, I'd push back and ask for a new car and ask for a loaner while you wait.

Perhaps a victim of building the MX's in a rush (Elon did say that the MX was an "experience in hubris")! One would think that they would be more tight with their QC/QA for the MX at least!

Wonder if @Nrazar's was built towards the end of the quarter?

Reactions: Nrazar
Tesla QC seems to be very much hit or miss. Given the thousands of cars delivered, it's hard to know what percentage actually have major build issues, but the forums are full of stories of poor build quality - usually a catalogue of relatively minor issues, but too many of them to be considered acceptable. As it happens my MX was delivered in good shape with nothing much to complain about and has been totally reliable over the first 9k miles, but I think I may have been quite lucky compared to some. Although reading about QC issues on the forums highlights the worst case scenario. Most people are unlikely to have as many issues as the ones documented here.

Reactions: bayx and Nrazar
@Nrazar The list seems too long. I've seen people get their bought back for a list like that. Something you may want to consider bringing up. Then again, if they can fix it all, great. If not ... I'd personally push for that.

Agreeing with everyone else here. That list is unacceptable. I would ask for a buyback.

I really appreciate everyone’s positivity here. Sorry if I missed other comments. I was dreading that people here would bash me for feeling upset about the situation.

When they call me, I will let them know I want to pursue a buyback. However, I am concerned about how hard this process will be and if they fight against me for that. Does anyone have resources or lawyers I should talk to about starting that process?

I think this all started from being an showroom model car from February to June, but I’m shocked cause it only had twenty miles when it was moved from the store to the delivery center. I am hoping they buyback and I will go ahead and use the money to place an order for a Model s instead. Probably crazy to do that, but I love the car too much to go back to ICE.

Reactions: 1 person
Some weird problems:

15. I can go on all day if your still reading this

Anyway, I didn’t seem all the problems I had on here, but I did see some like the steering wheel and shudder. I am going to be talking to service leadership this week.

So I am not alone! Our November build has been in the shop for more than 3 months in the first 4.5 months or so, with many of your issues and issues others reported as well. They claim to fix them or are unable to replicate, only for those issues to pop up again shortly after. Our list is much longer than yours, to be honest. We ecalated this and got a ridiculous buy-back offer. It's a shame. This is our third Tesla with another on order. We waited in line for the Model 3 and took delivery of that in December. I feel sorry for anyone who is getting this car eventually after they have to take it back.

So I am not alone! Our November build has been in the shop for more than 3 months in the first 4.5 months or so, with many of your issues and issues others reported as well. They claim to fix them or are unable to replicate, only for those issues to pop up again shortly after. Our list is much longer than yours, to be honest. We ecalated this and got a ridiculous buy-back offer. It's a shame. This is our third Tesla with another on order. We waited in line for the Model 3 and took delivery of that in December. I feel sorry for anyone who is getting this car eventually after they have to take it back.

Maybe using an attorney to deal with them could have gotten you a better buy back offer?

Maybe using an attorney to deal with them could have gotten you a better buy back offer?
At least in Washington, there is a fair allowance for the usage you did get. The buyer can choose to have a replacement vehicle provided instead.

Every manufacturer has lemons. Otherwise there would not be lemon laws. In Washington the volume of them always surprises me a bit. We really can't know the rate from the stories here, as people with lemons tend to share the news much more than people with cars that work great.

There are lemon law attorneys if you want to be represented.

I think this all started from being an showroom model car from February to June, but I’m shocked cause it only had twenty miles when it was moved from the store to the delivery center. I am hoping they buyback and I will go ahead and use the money to place an order for a Model s instead. Probably crazy to do that, but I love the car too much to go back to ICE.

For sure it's worth hanging in there as these cars are amazing to drive when everything is working properly. I wouldn't want to go back to an ICE car after 7 months driving a Model X. This is by far and away the best family car we've owned and I don't even miss driving my Porsche 911! Can't wait until the Model 3 Performance is available in the UK as a fun second car. Also really looking forward to other luxury EVs hitting the market over the next 5 years, including next generation Tesla S/X.

Thanks for the tips for the squeaking seals. Actually had some Gummi Pflege in my garage. Put it on the seals and it took care of it right away.
Talked to my SA and explained the issues. Said he would get me right in and put my car to the head of the line. Seemed very willing make things right. Is going to make sure I get a loaner car ( they have been slammed lately with all the new deliveries and other issues) and then have me drop off my car. I am hopeful that things will get fixed. On another note it was great to get to drive my car (still love it). Compared to the P100D X with 22's and my 100D X with 20"s I love my ride better. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Just took my car back in to Buena Park SC for repair of FWD. I'll see how long it takes this time. Seems like they are slammed with cars needing fixing after delivery. Don't know how they can be making money. I am curious what percentage of Teslas delivered don't need any fixing of factory defects. Any one have an idea?

I am curious what percentage of Teslas delivered don't need any fixing of factory defects. Any one have an idea?

No idea, but it's probably much higher than you think otherwise there would be tens of thousands of them waiting for service. The problem is that even a small percentage needing fixes after delivery can generate a lot of forum chatter. FWIW my MX didn't need to go in for any fixing, although there are a couple of very minor defects that I will get addressed at first service or if it needs to go back in the meantime. So far 9k trouble free miles.

No idea, but it's probably much higher than you think otherwise there would be tens of thousands of them waiting for service. The problem is that even a small percentage needing fixes after delivery can generate a lot of forum chatter. FWIW my MX didn't need to go in for any fixing, although there are a couple of very minor defects that I will get addressed at first service or if it needs to go back in the meantime. So far 9k trouble free miles.

Yes, this is correct. The internet has an amplifying effect that allows small groups to be over-represented, whether it's people with MX issues, fan boys, trolls, political extremists, etc.

For example if we assume 99% of Model X's are coming out fine (which is probably high) that would be 10 cars per week that needed service after delivery. Then if 1/10 of those people come on this forum to post about it, we would get one new post every week about how their MX had issues. It's easy just to see the "My MX had issues" posts and not see the thousands of people with no issues.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Yes, this is correct. The internet has an amplifying effect that allows small groups to be over-represented, whether it's people with MX issues, fan boys, trolls, political extremists, etc.

But equally there are probably a lot of problems which never get reported here. I think a lot of owners just device to live with them - I see quite a few X and S around here that have really bad trim alignment and wonky looking seals but are over a year old, so presumably will never be fixed.

But equally there are probably a lot of problems which never get reported here. I think a lot of owners just device to live with them - I see quite a few X and S around here that have really bad trim alignment and wonky looking seals but are over a year old, so presumably will never be fixed.

Did you read the rest of my post? In my hypothetical, even if 90% of problems aren't reported here, we still get one post per week from someone new. It's easy to have 2-3 threads active on the first page of this forum if we get one person per week complaining about their build quality issues.

so i got the car back. one trim piece (and an AC condenser) are waiting on parts, but the rest was finished (yellow MCU, FWD paint rubbing, etc.). decided to pick it up so i can carpool for kids school and also program garage and get windows tinted since i have only had it for 2 weeks.

all in all, i think the fitments look better, and from far away when the chrome and wheel fenders line up, the car looks pretty sharp. but when you get up close to get in the car, you can see that alignment issues still are there, and it's almost like in order to line up the chrome, they had to adjust the whole FWD so now the body painted metal doesn't line up. on one side, the rise is maybe 1/8", on the other side it's more like 1/4". just looks really cheesy, that sharp corner on the driver door panel is very obvious when it sticks out like that. i'll see if they can do any better when i go back to get the other parts taken care of, but if they say no, i'll just deal. just curious - how much of a difference between those two panels can you see on your Model X's? (keep in mind this is a 2017 so hopefully 2018 they've figured it out)

View media item 118796View media item 118797View media item 118800View media item 118799View media item 118795
the right side fitment is much better, definitely tolerable:

View media item 118798

• Informative