Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MelaniainLA ...lol you described my playbook to a “T” ...that has and continues to work well in over four years /3 cars of Tesla ownership ...can’t stress how well this works :oops:

Haha nice to hear! Like clockwork it works. They respond SO well to being kind/thoughtful/understanding. One service employee who helped me had been limping and walking with a cane, despite being young and healthy. I asked him what happen. Weeks before, a drugged-out guy had been in a police chase, which ended when the drugged driver ran into the service employee and pinned him against the wall. Crushed many of his bones and almost killed him. This guy could have just sat back and collected workers comp and disability for the rest of his life, but he's a Marine Veteran (Iraq, Afghanistan) and said nothing can stop him. I wrote this store to Elon. Word got back to him and his team, and they were grateful. This isn't a company where the squeaky wheel gets the grease -- it's one where the nicest person is treated like royalty every single time. They're compensated largely with performance related bonuses (not how much $ they bring in but satisfaction!) so show them how much you appreciate them and it'll pay off.

They're likely just overwhelmed because of the recent deliveries needing fixes.

What tends to work with them is the exact opposite of what your instincts are: Be EXTREMELY nice to them. Deliver donuts or have pizza sent there to the service center. Write the service manager a glowing email about how great the people are who's been helping you (mention them by name as it affects their performance reviews). Heck, even email Elon Musk about them and say how great they are (those emails get back to their managers rather quickly). Suck up to them, rather than getting frustrated, and they'll bend over backwards for you. Give them a post-service 5-star review when they email you, again mentioning names, and I guarantee you'll be a VIP.

Having had a recently new S and X, it's what I have done. Now, I show up unannounced, the entire staff will come out to greet me by name, they fit me in, magically get me a loaner, and make sure I'm out the door in minutes. They also tend to comp things for me that should otherwise be charged, as "goodwill." Also PM me and I can send you email of SoCal regional service manager (a very senior person in the organization) who you can email (very politely and appreciatively) if things need to ever be escalated. These guys mean well, they're great at what they do, but they simply grew too fast to handle with their now-very -old and small service centers. Hope that'll change.

Why should ANYONE have to bribe the service center to get their vehicle repaired? These are vehicles that were DELIVERED as faulty. Its not like even broke down while under warranty. I have been scratching my head for a while now over this, but this post really put me over the top. I sincerely hope that the true investors are reading this and similar posts on this forum and putting pressure on Musk to make things right.

I count my blessings that I got out with what I put in before it was too late.

I said it before and I'm saying it again. Do not accept any vehicle that isn't perfect! Send it back. The buyback process took a lot of time and effort.

Why should ANYONE have to bribe the service center to get their vehicle repaired? These are vehicles that were DELIVERED as faulty. Its not like even broke down while under warranty. I have been scratching my head for a while now over this, but this post really put me over the top. I sincerely hope that the true investors are reading this and similar posts on this forum and putting pressure on Musk to make things right.

I count my blessings that I got out with what I put in before it was too late.

I said it before and I'm saying it again. Do not accept any vehicle that isn't perfect! Send it back. The buyback process took a lot of time and effort.

It seems as though you’re a disgruntled ex-owner (or never-owning short) who, for some reason, continues to read and troll TMC even though you don’t even own the car anymore (if ever). Makes no sense.

Moreover, what we are describing aren’t bribes — it’s called being nice rather than kicking, screaming, and complaining to good honest employees who are experiencing the growing pains of a young company experiencing meteoric growth. That’s it. As always, if you’re nice to the employees, you tend to get quicker, better service. That’s all.

It seems as though you’re a disgruntled ex-owner (or never-owning short) who, for some reason, continues to read and troll TMC even though you don’t even own the car anymore (if ever). Makes no sense.

Moreover, what we are describing aren’t bribes — it’s called being nice rather than kicking, screaming, and complaining to good honest employees who are experiencing the growing pains of a young company experiencing meteoric growth. That’s it. As always, if you’re nice to the employees, you tend to get quicker, better service. That’s all.

I have owned a lot of cars from many manufacturers. Hondas during / after university years. Other Japanese brands early in my career. Most recently, it has been Porsche, BMW, and Audi (and a higher end garage queen I own for fun). These vehicles have obviously needed the normal services. And of course, there have been the few trips for minor repairs.

A smile and a hello go a long way. I have NEVER felt the need to bribe ANYONE at the dealerships for anything. I would never ask for anything I'm not entitled to. Everything else, I either pay for, or its covered by the warranty.

I'm just shaking my head here. Why bother?

June 29 delivery of a 2018 Model X. 75D.

Where do I start.

1. (the biggie). Wood ash trim on the right side doors, carbon fiber trim on the left side doors. Wow - I didn't even know this was possible.
2. Lateral scratches on the plastic panel at the bottom of the right falcon wing door
3. Multiple misaligned body panels
4. Rubber gaskets not properly sealing the falcon wing doors with each open/close

And this is just what I, without being a huge car aficionado, see with the naked eye.

I never would have imagined a new car showing up with the above errors - especially #1. Just, wow.

They're likely just overwhelmed because of the recent deliveries needing fixes.

What tends to work with them is the exact opposite of what your instincts are: Be EXTREMELY nice to them. Deliver donuts or have pizza sent there to the service center. Write the service manager a glowing email about how great the people are who's been helping you (mention them by name as it affects their performance reviews). Heck, even email Elon Musk about them and say how great they are (those emails get back to their managers rather quickly). Suck up to them, rather than getting frustrated, and they'll bend over backwards for you. Give them a post-service 5-star review when they email you, again mentioning names, and I guarantee you'll be a VIP.

Having had a recently new S and X, it's what I have done. Now, I show up unannounced, the entire staff will come out to greet me by name, they fit me in, magically get me a loaner, and make sure I'm out the door in minutes. They also tend to comp things for me that should otherwise be charged, as "goodwill." Also PM me and I can send you email of SoCal regional service manager (a very senior person in the organization) who you can email (very politely and appreciatively) if things need to ever be escalated. These guys mean well, they're great at what they do, but they simply grew too fast to handle with their now-very -old and small service centers. Hope that'll change.

I tried to be nice the first time around, but no one got back to me after a week. Then I wrote a strongly worded email and I got a call within 15 minutes. It's absurd to charge 6 figures for a luxury car, and throw it together as if it were built by a blind crew and leave it to the customer to either be ok with terrible workmanship, or deal with the hassle and inconvenience of bringing it in. Too bad there's no quarterly NPS score.

Wow#1 ....was ur car made in the tent ?:eek:

#3 I had one misaligned panel that was a common one per my SC ...think it would be cheaper to adjust the robot than keep paying third party body shops to fix :(

Yeah I wonder with all these rock chip fixes and realignments, constant replacements (x2 or more for some!) of MCUs, replacement of drive units, sunroofs (mine), headlights (mine), and effectively rebuilding cars, how they make any $$!!

Yeah I wonder with all these rock chip fixes and realignments, constant replacements (x2 or more for some!) of MCUs, replacement of drive units, sunroofs (mine), headlights (mine), and effectively rebuilding cars, how they make any $$!!
The negative version is: they don't.

The positive version is: most cars are well made. The service centers here can do several times as many deliveries as service visits, and at least in my experience they are not falling any further behind than most car dealers. Almost nobody goes on an internet forum to talk about how their car was fine when delivered.

Addendum: wrong trim on one side. Ouch!

BD35FB78-F6E5-455F-95E5-F61DF379EFFA.jpeg

Attachments

• 8A4F99EA-AD44-4C39-86FA-592D88D1ED2E.jpeg
    8A4F99EA-AD44-4C39-86FA-592D88D1ED2E.jpeg
    489.4 KB · Views: 51
Found another defect in the car which I fear will require a repaint of the left rear quarter panel. I have midnight silver, Looked at the paint in bright sunlight and l notuced obvious swirls in the metallic flakes in the color coat. Any suggestions?
That isn't a swirl ... I don't know what the heck that is! :eek:

Guess the best you can do is bring it in and ask them what they can do about it.

Funny that @banned-66611 mentioned the panel gap, because I didn't see it when I was staring at your swirl. I only saw it after he mentioned it :p